• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2019 10:46 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
248 posts
23 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Government career

Hey everyone. I thought I could make this in a general sense for government jobs.

I applied for passport officer. I know a lot of ppl apply.
Any tips on how to get noticed?

Thanks.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1850 posts
307 upvotes
Burlington
- Apply early
- Apply to a lot of areas near you
- Read prior threads here for tips and things you should know.
- Be willing to start as a temporary employee and be willing to wait in the pool for a long time if necessary.

A lot of people apply but they also hire a lot of people across the country and across different programs so if you qualify for the role and can get into the pool you should be able to get it eventually.
Dec 24, 2007
932 posts
860 upvotes
BC
bollywoodfan wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:58 pm
Any tips on how to get noticed?
To have a higher chance of getting screened in, your Cover Letter must provide as much details as possible for each of the areas they ask for. Applying for jobs in the public service is not like the private sector where they discourage long cover letters. The cover letter is your only chance to show how you meet the qualifications they are looking for. If you think that "I'll wait for the interview and wow them", you'll never get that chance. You have to be specific in how your skills or experience matches exactly what they ask for, so you have to word your submission to make it fit whatever the poster says that they require. The HR department receives thousands of submissions and will not waste time on those applications that do not meet the criteria they set out.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4699 posts
577 upvotes
Ottawa
Pour beaucoup de postes au gouvernement fédéral, la capacité de lire, parler et écrire en français est utile (même si vous vous trouvez dans un environnement principalement anglophone). Si vous pouvez comprendre ce que je tape, vous êtes bien parti.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2104 posts
1184 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:27 am
Pour beaucoup de postes au gouvernement fédéral, la capacité de lire, parler et écrire en français est utile (même si vous vous trouvez dans un environnement principalement anglophone). Si vous pouvez comprendre ce que je tape, vous êtes bien parti.
I mean, not in my experience. Ottawa, yeah 100% but for everywhere else, needing French really isn’t a prerequisite (coming from a former Fed who had worked in 4 different roles).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2009 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa
I tell you, while you can get work and not be bilingual in the federal government, it does certainly hinder your career progression at one point.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6828 posts
3983 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:01 am
I mean, not in my experience. Ottawa, yeah 100% but for everywhere else, needing French really isn’t a prerequisite (coming from a former Fed who had worked in 4 different roles).
We are in Ottawa and my husband and several of his friends have gotten federal government jobs without knowing French within the past couple of years. It really depends on the job, even here in Ottawa.
Jan 17, 2017
25 posts
33 upvotes
I quit the federal government.

I don't know why you want to apply, it's a shitty boring job and most places turn you into a pile of garbage in the end. Most workers are overweight. Your skills will rot away and their technology and pay system is trash. You will not get paid properly, and most supervisors are not trained properly. You will learn nothing. You think too short-term. When the economy changes and the high-tech automation take over, your skill set will be so worthless, you will be stuck in government while everyone else will have an edge on you. Would you work for Amazon or the Federal Government?

Passport Canada is one of the lowest ranking departments within the government and you want to work there? Why. Do you even know why they always hiring? Because people QUIT. You are just their replacement. High-turnover.

I never knew you would be so fearful, but I guess the government is for you. A job where you do not think, you do your "job", get a paycheck, and move on with life without doing anything impactful for society.

I am disappointed in you.

There is the SNC Lavalin bull shit, Phoenix Pay System, Blueprint 2020 failure, the lack of younger workers entering into government, the LACK of TALENT inside the government. This is a sinking ship waiting to be blown into the stone age.

But if you want tips sure. Make sure to type a wonderful answer to each question using specific examples of you showing how you did the task in the paragraph. The more you type the better. The computer will pick up phrases while the HR person will read to make sure you sound like you know your shit.

I had enough when I met my overweight supervisors who tried to force me to quit because I was more talented, stronger, faster, and younger than they were. They were **** petty fat losers trying to hold on to their jobs because they feel threatened by the younger generation. They had nothing to teach me (or anyone), tried to control me, and lecture on me how to move up (that stupid fat b**** told me to shut up, do my job, or quit). They bullied those who would not listen, and rewarded those who were "yes men". Ideas to improve the system were ignored. You tell me, you really want to go into the federal government? I saw good people quit because of them. We had management who only cared about the numbers to make themselves look good to move up, ignoring and neglecting the clients (you guys) and the public servants who do the work. They do not care about morale, teamwork, mentorship, and making the workplace a better place.

But sure, do it, work for the federal government. If you are a mom or a dad with children, you are ready to go. But if your a young, ambitious and talented person, you are wasting your time. I joined thinking Blueprint 2020 was a real thing, turns out it's just some sham used to attract naive young graduates into a job that would ruin their careers. The only reason you want to join the government is that only 1% of the population works for them. We have 280,000 Federal Employees out of the Canadian Population of 37Mil (37,000,000) [These are rough numbers but are very close]. This is why you think we are GLAMAROUS, we are NOT. [Blueprint 2020 was a movement to modernize the government and get more young people into the government]

I wasted my time opening mail coming out of school and entering the useless information into the computer because the government was so cheap not to automate the shit years ago. Opening **** MAIL as a UNIVERSITY graduate. While the rest of the world is busy using the latest technology with CRM (Customer Relationship Management) application systems and modern tools. Do we live in the 90s? It was only when I left, the Government announced they would modernize the system. Do you know how long that takes? 8-10 years in government time. I am not waiting 8 to 10 years opening pathetic mail to use a new system that everyone else is already using. The amount of waste you will see working there is alarming.

It's pathetic what the federal government has become. I am ashamed of even calling myself a former federal employee.

Pros:
  1. Decent Pay Check for Entry-Mid Level (You will get 10-15% more pay at junior levels, but 9.5% of your pay will be deducted into a pension, so always subtract 10% of the salary and then add the 950-1000$ union dues [this is pay you give to the public service union annually])
  2. Benefits (Good Benefits, 2 weeks paid vacation (plus 1 volunteer day and 1 personal day to start), medical leave, decent health insurance coverage, free time to write "exams" to get into another 'boring' job)
  3. Security (Most jobs are long-term)
Cons:
  1. Outdated Technology (Slow ass internet, software that is broken and does not even work, you cannot bring your own mouse and keyboard [PRIVACY BREACH]) A privacy breach is any potential that information can be stolen or lost inside the office. **** WE HAVE SMARTPHONES, EVERYTHING IS A PRIVACY BREACH, you try explaining that to the senior people (facepalm).
  2. Rotting your skillset (You will learn nothing from working in the government, but you will learn why you should not work for the government)
  3. Your salary will be overtaken in 5-10 years in the private sector (If you are really long-term a manager in the private sector makes far more than a manager in the private sector)
  4. Terrible Management
  5. Politics
  6. Phoenix Pay System (Not getting paid properly, UNDERPAID, OVERPAID (YOU RETURN THE MONEY), OR NOT PAID AT ALL)
  7. No Career Growth (Same shit different day)
  8. Boring Job with little to no thinking.
  9. Becoming a fatass (You will become so fat from the depression and job you will hate yourself)

If you saw the SNC Lavalin B.S, do not worry, that shit is everywhere in the Federal Government. Friends of friends are being promoted, family members being helped out to get in, and supervisors trying to sabotage people. You thought the private sector was bad? Wait until you join the federal government. The private world may be ruthless but it is at least honest and kind, in the federal government everyone is a two-sided clown. Remember 70% of Jobs are Private, the 'Federal' Government Represents 1% of the Population.

How would I know? All my "coworkers" who were close to me, stopped talking to me when I was no longer useful to them because they all thought I would be helpful to their career*. The types of people who are in the federal government are just garbage because they all think they "made it" because everyone has this perception government jobs are "KING". Get rid of this perception and appreciate the private sector.

If you work here I want you to take a deep realization, that it may be true that private stinks, but I ensure you, the top 20% of private companies are a lot better than the bottom 50%. And, the top 20% of private firms are 100x better than the Federal Government.

I have several people at my previous department still stuck doing mail AFTER years of service (we are talking about 6-10). It is so hard to leave because they push your salary so high after 5 years doing a useless and worthless job. The only way to quit is to take a lower paying job in the private sector because you do not have any skills to move on. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THAT SITUATION.

Take it from me, do not go. You will be ruined.

P.S Good Luck.
Last edited by Rhylock on Mar 2nd, 2019 9:43 am, edited 30 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2127 posts
725 upvotes
Ontario
matradley wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 9:58 pm
I tell you, while you can get work and not be bilingual in the federal government, it does certainly hinder your career progression at one point.
Which makes you think how small the pool of Canadians are able to work in top levels of government. How many people are bilingual, and of those how many are competent to do the job and make decisions.

Most of the work I see is in English and yet bilingual is a requirement for political sake. I can see why - it's a competitive advantage for francophones and to keep their language somewhere
Aug 10, 2015
338 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Rhylock wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 10:34 pm
I quit the federal government.

I don't know why you want to apply, it's a shitty boring job and most places turn you into a pile of garbage in the end. Most workers are overweight. Your skills will rot away and their technology and pay system is trash. You will not get paid properly, and most supervisors are not trained properly. You will learn nothing. You think too short-term. When the economy changes and the high-tech automation take over, your skill set will be so worthless, you will be stuck in government while everyone else will have an edge on you. Would you work for Amazon or the Federal Government?

Passport Canada is one of the lowest ranking departments within the government and you want to work there? Why. Do you even know why they always hiring? Because people QUIT. You are just their replacement. High-turnover.

I never knew you would be so fearful, but I guess the government is for you. A job where you do not think, you do your "job" get a paycheck and move on with life without doing anything impactful for society.

I am disappointed in you.

SNC Lavalin bull shit, Phoenix Pay System, Blueprint 2020 failure, the lack of younger workers entering into government, the LACK of TALENT inside the government. This is a sinking ship waiting to be blown into the stone age.

But if you want tips sure. Make sure to type a wonderful answer to each question using specific examples of you showing how you did the task in the paragraph. The more you type the better. The computer will pick up phrases while the HR person will read to make sure you sound like you know your shit.

I had enough when I met my overweight supervisors who tried to force me to quit because I was more talented, stronger, faster, than younger than they were. **** petty fat losers trying to hold on to their jobs because they feel threaten by the younger generation. They had nothing to teach me, tried to control me, and lecture on me how to move up. They bullied those who would not listen, and rewarded those who were "yes men". Ideas to improve the system were ignored. You tell me, you really want to go into the federal government? I saw good people quit because of them. We had management who only cared about the numbers to make themselves look good to move up, ignoring and neglecting the clients and workers who do the work. They do not care about morale, teamwork, mentorship, and making the workplace a better place.

But sure, do it, work for the federal government. If you are a mom or a dad with children, you are ready to go. But if your a young ambitious and talented person, you are wasting your time. I joined thinking Blueprint 2020 was a real thing, turns out it's just some sham used to attract naive young graduates into a job that would ruin their careers. The only reason you want to join the government is that only 1% of the population works for them. We have 280,000 Federal Employees out of the Canadian Population of 37Mil (37,000,000). This is why you think we are GLAMAROUS, we are NOT. [Blueprint 2020 was a movement to modernize the government and get more young people into the government]

I wasted my time opening mail coming out of school and entering the useless information into the computer because the government was so cheap not to automate the shit years ago. Opening **** MAIL as a UNIVERSITY graduate. While the rest of the world is busy using the latest technology with CRM (Customer Relationship Management) application systems and modern tools. Do we live in the 90s?

It's pathetic what the federal government has become. I am ashamed of even calling myself a former federal employee.

Pros:
Decent Pay Check for Entry-Mid Level
Benefits
Security

Cons:

Outdated Technology (Slow ass internet, software that is broken and does not even work, you cannot bring your own mouse and keyboard [PRIVACY BREACH]) A privacy breach is any potential that info can be stolen in the office. **** WE HAVE SMARTPHONES, EVERYTHING IS A PRIVACY BREACH.
Rotting your skillset
Your salary will be overtaken in 5-10 years in the private sector
Terrible Management
Politics
Phoenix Pay System (Not getting paid properly, UNDERPAID, OVERPAID (YOU RETURN THE MONEY), OR NOT PAID AT ALL)
No Career Growth (Same shit different day)
Boring Job with little or no thinking.
Becoming a fatass.

If you saw SNC Lavalin B.S, do not worry, that shit is everywhere in the Federal Government. Friends of Friends being promoted, Family members being helped out to get in, and Supervisors trying to sabotage people. You thought the private sector was bad? Wait until you join the federal government. The private world may be ruthless but it is at least honest and kind, in the federal government everyone is a two-sided clown. Remember 70% of Jobs are Private, the 'Federal' Government Represents 1% of the Population.

How would I know? All my "coworkers" who were close to me, stopped talking to me when I was no longer useful to them because they all thought I would be helpful to their career*. The types of people who are in the federal government are just garbage because they all think they "made it" because everyone has this perception government jobs are "KING". Get rid of this perception of government and appreciate the private sector.

If you work here I want you to take a deep realization, that it may be true private stinks, but I ensure you, the top 20% of private companies are a lot better than the bottom 50%. And, the top 20% of private firms are 100x better than the Federal Government.

I have several people at my previous department still stuck doing mail AFTER years of service (we are talking about 6-10). It is so hard to leave because they push your salary so high after 5 years doing a useless and worthless job. The only way to quit is to take a lower paying job in the private sector because you do not have any skills to move on. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THAT SITUATION.

Take it from me, do not go. You will be ruined.

P.S Good Luck.
Jesus...did your wife/gf leave you or something? lol
Jan 17, 2017
25 posts
33 upvotes
Nope, just giving the man an honest answer. I swear because I do not like changing my words into "politically correct" language for something important such as choosing a career. People should know what goes on inside the Federal Government, and only 1% of the population works there, so it is best I give the most "responsible" answer possible because there probably won't be one. Many people love sugar coating or giving "politically correct" answers because they are afraid of the consequences of being honest. I personally am not.

Also, working in the feds, many people love using "politically correct" language, they are very deceiving. Another thing you should be careful about. No one is honest there.

Also, did you know people who swear a lot are 'probably' more honest? And, "[a] 2015 study concluded that intelligent people tend to use more swear words." (Read the article below)

https://globalnews.ca/news/3160474/peop ... ont-study/

Most people who do not swear are either dishonest or just plain dumb and cover their lack of intelligence with complicated words to make them sound smart. Very easy to read those guys and I **** hate them.
Sep 11, 2011
320 posts
118 upvotes
Rhylock wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 12:34 am
Nope, just giving the man an honest answer. I swear because I do not like changing my words into "politically correct" language for something important such as choosing a career. People should know what goes on inside the Federal Government, and only 1% of the population works there, so it is best I give the most "responsible" answer possible because there probably won't be one. Many people love sugar coating or giving "politically correct" answers because they are afraid of the consequences of being honest. I personally am not.

Also, working in the feds, many people love using "politically correct" language, they are very deceiving. Another thing you should be careful about. No one is honest there.

Also, did you know people who swear a lot are 'probably' more honest? And, "[a] 2015 study concluded that intelligent people tend to use more swear words." (Read the article below)

https://globalnews.ca/news/3160474/peop ... ont-study/

Most people who do not swear are either dishonest or just plain dumb and cover their lack of intelligence with complicated words to make them sound smart. Very easy to read those guys and I **** hate them.
Poor university graduate had to open mail - sniff, sniff. Who gives a crap if you went to university. Did you expect to walk in the door and they were going to give you the corner office with with a view? You start at the bottom doing shit work and work your way up. You have a lot to learn.
First thing you need to learn is how to play the game.
Last edited by bellagirl on Mar 15th, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2017
25 posts
33 upvotes
bellagirl wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 9:41 am
Poor university graduate had to open mail - sniff, sniff. Who gives a crap if you went to university. Did you expect to walk in the door and they were going to give you the corner office with with a view? You start at the bottom doing shit work and work you're way up. You have a lot to learn.
First thing you need to learn is how to play the game.
I do not care, I worked with several other government departments outside of the Federal level. I was making 65k (more than most of my supervisors in the feds and DOING MORE than they were) out of school when I graduated and only came back home to Toronto because my mom was ill. Provincial systems were far beyond advanced, and the work was modern.

You are just some old bloke you cannot stand knowing there are some people who are better than you. I know how to play the game, I QUIT and got a better job outside the government and I am sharing my experience with the "Federal" level to make sure NO ONE works for this crapshoot of a government.

Do you think you can lecture me? Pathetic.

Let me tell you something. There is a kid who is smarter than you, stronger than you, more vocal than you, and not to mention much more ruthless than you. Do you really think I was dumb enough to "play the game" in a dying place? Wasting my youth with complete fat garbage?

Do you want to play? Sure, let's play, I am 100% I will crush you in almost anything.

You can have the job, I would not care, 5-10 years down the line you will be stuck in the useless career path when all the tech companies come into Canada.

I already wrote why I quit, there is no future at the federal level. But you can have it.

Again, this is the type of people who work in the Federal Government, you see what I mean?

These old people have this mentality of "pay your dues" and it is utter bullshit. @ https://lifehacker.com/paying-your-dues ... 1686938587

Pay your dues is another way of saying, I am not talented enough to compete with you, so I will insert this artificial barrier to stop talented people from stomping all over you.

What is the point of working hard? What is the point of trying? If paying your dues is just some artificial time barrier to prevent talented people from going to where they belong, than you GOT A REAL PROBLEM.

I believe in talent alone. If you're talented you deserve to get a job that is EQUAL to your talents. If that is not true, it explains why Trudeau is an utter useless PM who allowed the SNC Lavalin **** up to happen. He is a talentless PM who got what he deserved, a bitter end.

It is so easy to judge your age. Your 40-60 and believe in this archaic idea of pointless "pay your dues" because you had to deal with it when you were younger. Sorry lady, welcome to the 21st century. The 21st century has 21st rules. It is no different than comparing your useless LAN phones back in the day with today's smartphones. The younger generation will crush you.

We are more educated than you, smarter than you, faster than you, more tech-savvy than you. You are just out-dated trash waiting to retire.

The next time you bring the "pay your dues" bullshit into a discussion you BETTER be damn sure you have the talent and credentials to back it up, lady.

Talent and merit is the ONLY thing that is FAIR, it does not discriminate against age, sex, gender, economic status, social status, and other stupid biological and sociological barriers. And you want "pay your dues"? You are a relic of the past.
Sep 11, 2011
320 posts
118 upvotes
Rhylock wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 9:48 am
I do not care, I worked with several other government departments outside of the Federal level. I was making 65k (more than most of my supervisors in the feds and DOING MORE than they were) out of school when I graduated and only came back home to Toronto because my mom was ill. Provincial systems were far beyond advanced, and the work was modern.

You are just some old bloke you cannot stand knowing there are some people who are better than you. I know how to play the game, I QUIT and got a better job outside the government and I am sharing my experience with the "Federal" level to make sure NO ONE works for this crapshoot of a government.

Do you think you can lecture me? Pathetic.

Let me tell you something. There is a kid who is smarter than you, stronger than you, more vocal than you, and not to mention much more ruthless than you. Do you really think I was dumb enough to "play the game" in a dying place? Wasting my youth with complete fat garbage?

Do you want to play? Sure, let's play, I am 100% I will crush you in almost anything.

You can have the job, I would not care, 5-10 years down the line you will be stuck in the useless career path when all the tech companies come into Canada.

I already wrote why I quit, there is no future at the federal level. But you can have it.

Again, this is the type of people who work in the Federal Government, you see what I mean?

These old people have this mentality of "pay your dues" and it is utter bullshit. @ https://lifehacker.com/paying-your-dues ... 1686938587

Pay your dues is another way of saying, I am not talented enough to compete with you, so I will insert this artificial barrier to stop talented people from stomping all over you.

I believe in talent alone. If you're talented you deserve to get a job that is EQUAL to your talents. If that is not true, it explains why Trudeau is an utter useless PM who allowed the SNC Lavalin **** up to happen. He is a talentless PM who got what he deserved, a bitter end.

It is so easy to judge your age. Your 40-60 and believe in this archaic idea of pointless "pay your dues" because you had to deal with it when you were younger. Sorry lady, welcome to the 21st century. The 21st century has 21st rules. It is no different than comparing your useless LAN phones back in the day with today's smartphones. The younger generation will crush you.

We are more educated than you, smarter than you, faster than you, more tech-savvy than you. You are just out-dated trash waiting to retire.

The next time you bring the "pay your dues" bullshit into a discussion you BETTER be damn sure you have the talent and credentials to back it up, lady.
Thanks for the laugh!
Hopefully you have a good benefits package as you need some long term therapy for your anger issues.
Jan 17, 2017
25 posts
33 upvotes
bellagirl wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 10:27 am
Thanks for the laugh!
Hopefully you have a good benefits package as you need some long term therapy for your anger issues.
Not really, I am just disappointed that people like you exist. You are the reason why younger people leave the government.

Also, do not think your benefits package is decent. It's not.

When you make more you are allowed to select and choose the benefits you want from any insurance company, you are not locked into a package that was tailored for the entire service. You will save more money and get more perks doing this option. Also, your pension is just as worthless because I use the same leftover money and invest that money for a far greater return. [Some people do not need medical coverage, some do not need vision coverage, some do not need etc. the plan was built for everyone, therefore you get nothing]

Your pension earns 2% each year, that is equal to the rate of inflation of 2% devaluation. Your saving grace is that pension allows you to earn 50-70% of your best 5-years salary for the rest of your life "until you die". While my investments will continue to earn 10-15% each year until my "family dies". My money will continue to get my family rich, while your money goes with you when you die. (Remember most federal workers are overweight) If you invested 1000$ into Amazon when it started you would have earned 1.37mil dollars today. @ https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/if-you- ... e-now.html [That is worth more than your entire service for the feds 2x-3x and I did not even work for it, the money worked for me]

So if you really think about it, if you put 10% of your income each year into a pension, you only get a small return of 30-60k per year when you retire. While for me, I will have an investment portfolio earning interest of 10-15% each year. That will continue with my children and their children.

You are just very 'dumb'. But I will let the people reading this choose for themselves if they really want government benefits or they will take the flight and do my path.

This is why I quit the government, I hate dealing with people like you, you are a selfish person. Everything from the way you talk to the way you treat people. You will never be successful.

You think short-term, I think long-term. Your children will continue to be poor and getting a government job for the benefits, continually stuck in the cycle of working from pay-check to pay-check unable to escape the rat race. While my family will continue to grow wealth because I invested that money for them, and they will continue to invest that money for their children.

This is what makes the difference between you and I.

The person who will really have the last laugh will be me when your old, poor, and have no money, watching your children repeat the same "successful" mistakes you did.

People like to say being rich will not buy happiness, I like to think that is an excuse for the poor used to justify their pathetic existence and bad choices in life.