• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 10:17 am
[OP]
Jun 21, 2013
226 posts
21 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Government career

Hey everyone. I thought I could make this in a general sense for government jobs.

I applied for passport officer. I know a lot of ppl apply.
Any tips on how to get noticed?

Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1794 posts
292 upvotes
Burlington
- Apply early
- Apply to a lot of areas near you
- Read prior threads here for tips and things you should know.
- Be willing to start as a temporary employee and be willing to wait in the pool for a long time if necessary.

A lot of people apply but they also hire a lot of people across the country and across different programs so if you qualify for the role and can get into the pool you should be able to get it eventually.
Dec 24, 2007
523 posts
419 upvotes
BC
bollywoodfan wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:58 pm
Any tips on how to get noticed?
To have a higher chance of getting screened in, your Cover Letter must provide as much details as possible for each of the areas they ask for. Applying for jobs in the public service is not like the private sector where they discourage long cover letters. The cover letter is your only chance to show how you meet the qualifications they are looking for. If you think that "I'll wait for the interview and wow them", you'll never get that chance. You have to be specific in how your skills or experience matches exactly what they ask for, so you have to word your submission to make it fit whatever the poster says that they require. The HR department receives thousands of submissions and will not waste time on those applications that do not meet the criteria they set out.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3924 posts
415 upvotes
Ottawa
Pour beaucoup de postes au gouvernement fédéral, la capacité de lire, parler et écrire en français est utile (même si vous vous trouvez dans un environnement principalement anglophone). Si vous pouvez comprendre ce que je tape, vous êtes bien parti.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1838 posts
626 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:27 am
Pour beaucoup de postes au gouvernement fédéral, la capacité de lire, parler et écrire en français est utile (même si vous vous trouvez dans un environnement principalement anglophone). Si vous pouvez comprendre ce que je tape, vous êtes bien parti.
I mean, not in my experience. Ottawa, yeah 100% but for everywhere else, needing French really isn’t a prerequisite (coming from a former Fed who had worked in 4 different roles).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
1998 posts
287 upvotes
Ottawa
I tell you, while you can get work and not be bilingual in the federal government, it does certainly hinder your career progression at one point.
The Rogers whisperer
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5893 posts
3084 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:01 am
I mean, not in my experience. Ottawa, yeah 100% but for everywhere else, needing French really isn’t a prerequisite (coming from a former Fed who had worked in 4 different roles).
We are in Ottawa and my husband and several of his friends have gotten federal government jobs without knowing French within the past couple of years. It really depends on the job, even here in Ottawa.