Automotive

Government having ability to shut off your car coming....

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2019 12:07 pm
15 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
12852 posts
7113 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, can see that coming for sure. Makes sense. Like factory dashcams, breathalayzers, ect. Soon, can start cutting the police force on traffic duties. Good old gov't nanny state.

And thanks to the world of automotive amazing feats like Tesla, these can be introduced in them even quicker. So much for ludicrous mode.
Last edited by koffey on Feb 26th, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30342 posts
16193 upvotes
Ottawa
When does anything implemented in EU makes it's way to NA...good or bad?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
12984 posts
13117 upvotes
Oakville
I mean, it makes sense if we're going to have speed limits. As long as it can be disabled when at a track.
It won't be long before we have self driving cars anyways, so no biggie.

Anyhow, should be easy to disable by disconnecting the GPS sensor, and/or spoofing the GPS signal.
vkizzle wrote: When does anything implemented in EU makes it's way to NA...good or bad?
Xenon lights, Diesel cars, Focus ST and RS, crash tests, DSG gearboxes, smallpox, colonialization, French democracy.
Member
Oct 15, 2008
278 posts
234 upvotes
canada
koffey wrote: Yep, can see that coming for sure. Makes sense. Like factory dashcams, breathalayzers, ect. Soon, can start cutting the police force on traffic duties. Good old gov't nanny state.

And thanks to the world of automotive amazing feats like Tesla, these can be introduced in them even quicker. So much for ludicrous mode.
Soon your own car can arrest you, and drive you straight to the police station.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1142 upvotes
There's currently speed limiters on cars, which can easily be overrode. And if they sell cars in Canada for example, how are they going to control 100km/h limits in Ontario and 110 km/h in Eastern Canada? Seems a little silly. If you're a habitual speeder, just don't buy a new car or go and get your car re programmed.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
12984 posts
13117 upvotes
Oakville
fusion2k2k wrote: There's currently speed limiters on cars, which can easily be overrode. And if they sell cars in Canada for example, how are they going to control 100km/h limits in Ontario and 110 km/h in Eastern Canada? Seems a little silly. If you're a habitual speeder, just don't buy a new car or go and get your car re programmed.
Global Positioning System.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4466 posts
2983 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: When does anything implemented in EU makes it's way to NA...good or bad?
Mercedes A hatch.

CETA, TPP and EPA create quite a giant block of free trade partners. Some of these will eventually comes thru as we standardize across the regions.

GPDR also have a quite far fetching effect on anyone operating in Europe.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25217 posts
5469 upvotes
koffey wrote: And thanks to the world of automotive amazing feats like Tesla, these can be introduced in them even quicker. So much for ludicrous mode.
Oh it's ludicrous alright...but just not the kind of ludicrous ppl might be expecting :lol:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5106 posts
2486 upvotes
Toronto
Clickbait title, but GM has given Big Brother the ability to shut your car off for a few years now.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6702 posts
5498 upvotes
North York
dont need that. I already got my wife and daughter screaming when i zoom zoom
Member
User avatar
Jan 8, 2015
291 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
meh reading the article. It's overridden by pushing the pedal further down and it just makes a beeping warning sound.
Trying to guilt you when speeding.
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2006
753 posts
527 upvotes
Ottawa
sebakaa wrote: meh reading the article. It's overridden by pushing the pedal further down and it just makes a beeping warning sound.
Trying to guilt you when speeding.
It's kind of already in place with seat belts
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 17, 2004
2385 posts
709 upvotes
konsensei wrote: dont need that. I already got my wife and daughter screaming when i zoom zoom
You should have had a son /s

Mine just keeps saying, “faster, daddy”

I can’t wait until my wife lets me take him to the track with me.



And damn, it sounds like I should have kept my 94 Camry...

Top