[OP]
Jan 29, 2017
877 posts
735 upvotes

Government orders the CRTC to investigate high-pressure telecom sales practices

News release
Canadians consumers must be treated fairly

June 14, 2018, Ottawa ON

Canadians have expressed serious concerns about telecommunication companies using misleading and/or aggressive sales tactics. The Government of Canada is taking action to ensure that Canadian consumers are treated fairly.

The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, today announced that the Government directed the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to investigate and report on the sales practices used by Canada’s largest telecommunication companies. The Minister wants a public inquiry, where Canadians have an opportunity to be heard and these issues are carefully considered. The report resulting from the inquiry must include potential solutions to ensure Canadian consumers are adequately protected and treated fairly.

The CRTC is responsible for regulating telecommunications services and implementing consumer measures such as the Wireless Code of Conduct. The CRTC has the authority to conduct public inquiries. In light of the Competition Bureau’s expertise, Minister Bains also wrote a letter to the Interim Commissioner of Competition requesting that the Competition Bureau assist the CRTC as needed in its inquiry.
Quotes
“Like many Canadians, we are concerned by allegations of clearly inappropriate sales practices by telecom carriers. We have listened to Canadians about this issue, and we are taking action. I have directed the CRTC to thoroughly investigate this matter. No Canadian should ever be misled or treated unfairly by a telecom corporation, especially those who are most vulnerable.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
https://www.canada.ca/en/innovation-sci ... tices.html

How often have you been pressured into telecom services? Can't remember if I ever was.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17383 posts
2113 upvotes
GTA West
No Televison service for me. (Only OTA antenna.)
No traditional telephone, only VoIP.MS.
Internet is TekSavvy, they aren't like RoBelUs.
Phone is Fido, though I never need to call them for anything.

Part of the reason why I don't sign up for more services is that I know I'll end up spending hours on the phone with them, arguing about charges I never authorized.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1254 posts
886 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 10:04 pm

....Part of the reason why I don't sign up for more services is that I know I'll end up spending hours on the phone with them, arguing about charges I never authorized.
So agree. I had a Rogers rep knock on my door one day with a slightly better offer than I am receiving right now from Start. All I could think of was the time spent trying to fix the errors on the billing, the constant price increases and the need to find a new provider after the promo period expired. No thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4266 posts
1373 upvotes
One word: theater.
This is the great ideological divide of our times: not between left and right but between those of us who believe in truth; and those who believe, Oprah style, that we’re all entitled to our own truths and that everyone’s is equally special.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17383 posts
2113 upvotes
GTA West
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jun 16th, 2018 4:07 pm
One word: theater.
Even in the theatre, they have all those hidden fees:
Online ticketing fee
Convenience fee
TicketMaster / TicketKing Fees
Service fee
Delivery fee
Charitable donation guilt trip at the theatre
Very expensive concessions at theatre
Expensive parking fees

Might as well just go Netflix and Kindle Unlimited... seems to be the best chance of no surprises or outrageous money grabs.
Dec 6, 2017
25 posts
3 upvotes
Just remove foreign restrictions on our telecoms and everything will change.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4838 posts
426 upvotes
Scarborough
Telecom services (ALL types) are the cheapest even in 3rd world countries......and they always have so many promotions and offers daily......here we get nothing at all.
Pathetic really. And super expensive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)