Off Topic

Government perhaps taking a stand against teachers?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2020 4:08 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
2750 posts
1167 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Yep. I used to think Canadians were actually somewhat intelligent, but seeing all the people here cheering on a dropout who wastes billions of dollars on conservative virtue signalling at the drop of a hat cutting teachers' pay to 'save money' really shows they aren't. The race to the third world is on!
@apnayloags would love that apparently. Every post of his is miserable.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5445 posts
4731 upvotes
moofur wrote: You don't really believe that do you? Nor do the teachers who very well know that it will cost them jobs (and the size of their union as a result). Online courses are more easily scaleable which reduces the need for teachers and that is the reason why they are against it. I won't say that that's their only reason since I'm sure that at least some of them do care about children, but let's be real, job reduction is a large part of it or else why do you think the government wants to put this in place?
That may be what the government wants, but not the reality of it.

The way online courses are implemented, they are subject to the same class sizes as a regular classroom. Every online course has to be run by an Ontario Certified Teacher, so the end result is less time spent working with students face-to-face, with zero savings in terms of budget.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4341 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
Piro21 wrote: Yep. I used to think Canadians were actually somewhat intelligent, but seeing all the people here cheering on a dropout who wastes billions of dollars on conservative virtue signalling at the drop of a hat cutting teachers' pay to 'save money' really shows they aren't. The race to the third world is on!
although we are in disagreement in another thread..I wholeheartedly am behind you in this one
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1589 posts
782 upvotes
We're getting impacted as we speak. Because of our large debt we can't afford to invest in education and health the way that we would like. Our crazy high interest payments are a large part of our problem and why we can't afford to invest more in social services and programs.

Read this report from the Ontario Chamber of Commerce. It's very telling. We spend $10.6B per year in interest payments alone.


"Based on this analysis, we find that Ontarians should be very
concerned about the direction in which the province is heading.
Ontario’s fiscal situation is becoming increasingly dire, though
we have not yet reached a crisis point. That said, we are likely
to reach a state of crisis unless the province cuts spending
and changes the ways it does business."


https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... D6hloBCp8s
Last edited by Redmask on Jan 19th, 2020 8:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed nested quote
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
18184 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
moofur wrote: We're getting impacted as we speak. Because of our large debt we can't afford to invest in education and health the way that we would like. Our crazy high interest payments are a large part of our problem and why we can't afford to invest more in social services and programs.
We can afford to drop another $500,000,000 whenever Dougie thinks it'll get him some votes though. It doesn't even matter if it's just wasted on cancellation fees and we get nothing in return. We've got all the money in the world to stop things.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1589 posts
782 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: We can afford to drop another $500,000,000 whenever Dougie thinks it'll get him some votes though. It doesn't even matter if it's just wasted on cancellation fees and we get nothing in return. We've got all the money in the world to stop things.
Maybe you and others should stop focusing on personal attacks and the individual and actually focus on the issue. Whether you like Doug Ford or not we really need to rein in our spending.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
18184 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
moofur wrote: Maybe you and others should stop focusing on personal attacks and the individual and actually focus on the issue. Whether you like Doug Ford or not we really need to rein in our spending.
So you think focusing on him blatantly wasting money on a whim while trying to force teachers to take a pay cut to 'save money' is a 'personal attack'?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4341 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
Piro21 wrote: We can afford to drop another $500,000,000 whenever Dougie thinks it'll get him some votes though. It doesn't even matter if it's just wasted on cancellation fees and we get nothing in return. We've got all the money in the world to stop things.
this..or maybe play favours to "his " groups...and selling of public assets ala an PC party is not a solution..its a bs argument to get valuable assets in the privileged public hands...this was once considered blasphemy over our history until one Mike Harrris opened the door with no shame (to his cronnies)
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1627 posts
425 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Agree 1000%. Teachers are a very important. That doesn't mean they deserve over $95,000 per year for 8 months work.
Hey now they are at 102,500 Lol don’t diss them they are on the sunshine lit now time to put that list up to 150,000 lol
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4341 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
moofur wrote: Maybe you and others should stop focusing on personal attacks and the individual and actually focus on the issue. Whether you like Doug Ford or not we really need to rein in our spending.
maybe you should move yo alberta and see how that works out for ya..lots of problems coming there to regular people all in the name of saving money...everyone wanted to save money on taxes and such..now reap the rewards (at least the very rich will as they dont care and can afford it)

the PC's party, is the party of the rich, they brain wash a minion about debt and cuts and savings (like you) but in the end its to benefit the rich that can afford everything from private health care to education..it keeps their money by thousands or millions in their pocket , meanwhile diverting the public purse to benefit business...businesses that their rich friends own..while reducing essential services to the poor and the working class, and use the public debt as the boogieman...over 50 years on this earth...I learned the boogieman doesn't exist and I am not scared of him..
and you should educate yourself on debt to gdp and what it means also when it becomes a factor...maybe you wont be as scared of the debt boogieman
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2006
1934 posts
689 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: A person cannot “agree 1000%”. They can agree 0% to 100%, but not beyond 100%.

Saying you agree 1000% is like saying an athlete “gave 110%”.

It can’t be done.
it can be done. If an athlete gave 100% but now he is better than previously and beat his record he's over 100%.
Any man who tells you he enjoys a cold shower will lie about other things

Ronald Reagan
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 24, 2015
3426 posts
924 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
cardguy wrote: so if your workplace increased your workload , but cut services to your clients, and forced you to service more clients and increased work on your off time ..cut into your family/personal time?.you would be ok with that?.
doesn't the rest of the Private sector already do that? and besides, if you were right i would believe you but I have a crap load of family who work in schools as teachers, educators, principals, etc, i know they have it made, they only complaining cus they want "MORE" but they get more than the rest of the world does. and they get it on a silver or gold platter already
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1589 posts
782 upvotes
cardguy wrote: maybe you should move yo alberta and see how that works out for ya..lots of problems coming there to regular people all in the name of saving money...everyone wanted to save money on taxes and such..now reap the rewards (at least the very rich will as they dont care and can afford it)

the PC's party, is the party of the rich, they brain wash a minion about debt and cuts and savings (like you) but in the end its to benefit the rich that can afford everything from private health care to education..it keeps their money by thousands or millions in their pocket , meanwhile diverting the public purse to benefit business...businesses that their rich friends own..while reducing essential services to the poor and the working class, and use the public debt as the boogieman...over 50 years on this earth...I learned the boogieman doesn't exist and I am not scared of him..
and you should educate yourself on debt to gdp and what it means also when it becomes a factor...maybe you wont be as scared of the debt boogieman
Alberta's problem comes from the fact that they didn't diversify from oil, not because of fiscal prudence.

All you say about PCs and Conservatives in general seem to be just talking points that you get from the CBC, CNN, and any other left wing outlet. It's all good rhetoric and talking points and what our leftist educational system has taught us, but if you actually employ any sort of critical thinking and analysis, you'll realize that spending your way to prosperity isn't the answer cause you'll eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1300 posts
1079 upvotes
GTA
I really wish the teachers were honest and just admit they are striking for another big raise. Always pretending it is about the kids. They did the same thing with the liberals and NDP previously. Only negotiated change when they settled was they got their big pay increase. The other issues magically disappeared.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4341 posts
1537 upvotes
markham
moofur wrote: Alberta's problem comes from the fact that they didn't diversify from oil, not because of fiscal prudence.

All you say about PCs and Conservatives in general seem to be just talking points that you get from the CBC, CNN, and any other left wing outlet. It's all good rhetoric and talking points and what our leftist educational system has taught us, but if you actually employ any sort of critical thinking and analysis, you'll realize that spending your way to prosperity isn't the answer cause you'll eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
...hardly...i dont watch TV or read newspapers..I know what I lived...born here 55 years ago..almost bought into the bullshit when I was young about debt and crap and watched the Chin run up the debt faster than a degenerate gambler under the most prosperous times in Canada...then watched Harper do the same...all bs ...also watched Harris sell of provincial assets without my permission and claimed he balanced the budget..I am a fool no more..the debt is only used as a tool to gain votes...if it was as bad as you think, our dollar would be worth about 10 cents and no would be working...were you here after the Chin finished with us?? it came close to that...the ******* even had the gall to sue us, and settle, then admitted to taking bribes while in office...ya thats a party I want to trust and values I want to trust.

the debt boogieman is a myth...just like a bank...you will know when we are over extended and you will see the dollar drop, interest rates hike and blood shed every where...like 1989...we are far from there right now

Top