Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR

GPS Logger

Anyone here use a GPS Logger for their photos? I have been wanting to pick one up for a while, but just don't know which one to get! :)

I've tried my iPhone's GPS w/ an app before and it works alright but I hate draining my phone's battery! It's bad enough as is...

So, anyone here use one? Which one and how is it?
12 replies
Nov 17, 2003
368 posts
8 upvotes
I have this one: http://www.gisteq.com/phototrackr/photo ... plus-n.php

If I recall you shoot Canon, so not sure if they make one for Canons. I really like it, it's very small on the camera, doesn't use the hotshoe, writes directly to my RAW file. I don't use it all the time, but definitely when I'm travelling or out and about.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
I have a Holux GPSport 245, paid around $150. You can get the same thing for around $88 from DX. The new 260 only holds 160k waypoints instead of 200k, so it's slightly "downgraded" in my opinion. Both are IPX7 rated, so the chances are that your SLR will be ruined before the logger. What I like is that the battery is good for 24 hours of continuous logging and charges with any mini-usb that you probably have in your pack anyways.

The Holux software is rather clunky but does the job. GPSbabel and BT747 doesn't seem to work too well. The software allows you to export to KMZ, so you can view the trip on Google Earth.

The best part is that the GPSport doubles as a bike speedometer and trip computer!

My next logger will likely be the Genie BGT-31 even though it's discontinued. I like being able to log 2,000,000 waypoints on a $5 2GB card.

Here's 3 sample logs from my last trip. All of 30kb compressed. Use Google Earth to view. My flickr has geotagged photos as well.
http://www.multiupload.com/KIMDJFJF92

I also have an Eye-fi Explore 4GB and Eye-fi Pro 2X 8GB. Both are useless for geotagging since they are based on a wireless MAC address lookup and triangulation system. It might work downtown where there's 4000 wifi hotspots but totally useless in the middle of nowhere.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2148 posts
304 upvotes
GTA
I have the Mobile Action i-gotU Bluetooth GPS Travel Logger (GT-200e). I used it last year on a trip and didn't have any problems with it. What I like about it is that it's tiny and water-resistant. I kept it in my backpack and it was able to track our travels in the car and during hikes. It also has BT and can tethered to a laptop or phone. As well, there's a website where you can put up your photos corresponding with a map of where they were taken.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
I've actually only used it a few times! I had some weird quirks where it seemed to indicate a fail to lock GPS in the middle of a hike where it was tracking fine... and this was in Utah's National Parks... where there isn't really anything to block the signal.

Kinda frustrating/annoying.. but apart from that it's been great and handy
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: I've actually only used it a few times! I had some weird quirks where it seemed to indicate a fail to lock GPS in the middle of a hike where it was tracking fine... and this was in Utah's National Parks... where there isn't really anything to block the signal.

Kinda frustrating/annoying.. but apart from that it's been great and handy
Thanks for the feedback Kaitlyn. I might go with the android app if only it's dirt cheap at $4, and possibly split among three devices. :)

These are still better than the eye-fi card which can only be used on one camera, unless the sd card will be swapped around.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
alanbrenton wrote: Thanks for the feedback Kaitlyn. I might go with the android app if only it's dirt cheap at $4, and possibly split among three devices. :)

These are still better than the eye-fi card which can only be used on one camera, unless the sd card will be swapped around.
The reason I didn't go for a phone app was battery. It'll end up killing your battery much faster than simply not having it! The GPS loggers can basically last forever! :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)