Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3586 posts
234 upvotes
Scarborough

Grad@Loblaw - Jan 2012 Openings Now Posted! - Oct 6 deadline

***Update 3 ****
Grad@Loblaw is now accepting Applications until October 6, 2011

I have an interview this Friday with Loblaws for their new graduate program. Has anyone been through their program before? Is it any good? Anything I should know about the interview in particular?

Thanks!

*******Update******************* Copy and pasted info from the website

Try Different Things. Build New Skills. Gain Experience.

NEXT intake June 2010!

If you're a recent or soon to be university or college graduate who's ready for a new challenge, grad@Loblaw is for you.

Our 18-month, paid program lets you see our company from different angles. Once you've been hired, you'll rotate through various roles and get an up close and personal feel for our business. Your final placement may be in store management throughout Canada, or in a role in marketing, merchandising, supply chain, IT, human resources or finance in our store support or regional offices.

How does it work?
Rotation One - Stores:
First, you will spend six months working in the core of our business – our stores. You will learn what it takes to make a terrific customer experience. You will learn on the floor and in the class room. You will be responsible for getting involved, actively participating in all of your on the floor learning and working successfully with the store teams. This is a really key part of the program as the store is what we are all about so be prepared to jump right in from day one.
Rotation Two - Central Merchandising Operations:
From there, you spend three months in our central merchandising operation where you will learn the buy side of the business. You will experience different roles, work through projects and hear from those who make decisions about what products to carry in our stores and how best to service our customers.
Rotation Three - Destination Department:
Experience in stores and central merchandising will certainly demonstrate how dynamic our business is and help you in your final placement which may be in store management throughout Canada, or in a role in marketing, merchandising, supply chain, IT, human resources or finance in our store support or regional offices. You will get right into the mix; you will learn about jobs and how to do them and will be a part of a team. You will not be on the side lines in this rotation. You will be able to let us know what area you are interested in when you apply.

Commonly asked questions:
What if I’m interested in more than one area?
You know what you went to school for – and what your interests are – so you’ll likely have no problem narrowing your career choice to one area of our company. But if you can’t narrow it down to one, you can apply to a second area of interest.

What happens after my 18 months are over?
You’re hired as a permanent, full-time colleague from day one, so your employment status won’t change after your 18-month program is completed. Provided you’ve successfully completed each rotation, you’ll be placed in a role in your destination department based on your performance and interests and our business needs.

Will I have to relocate?
All grads will complete their store rotation at various locations across the country but the merchandising rotation takes place at our head office in Brampton, Ontario. All destination department positions – with the exception of store management and some supply chain and HR positions – will also be located at our head office in Brampton. Depending on where you live, you may have to relocate but Loblaw offers relocation support.

Who can join?
You can be part of this unique experience if:
• You're set to graduate soon or have graduated from an accredited university or college in or outside Canada within the past 24 months.
• You're a solid student who has a lot of other interests.
• You've worked with the public in a job or a volunteer position.
• You love food and are excited to work for a retail company.
• You've got a drive to win and a passion to make things happen.
• You're flexible about work location and can do one or more of your rotations in our store support office in Brampton, Ontario.

Deadline to apply for our June 2010 intake is February 25, 2010.

Source: http://www.loblawgrad.ca

*****UPDATE 2*******

Job Postings for the next intake starting January 2010 starts tomorrow

Who is eligible and how do they apply?
• In order to be eligible, grads must have graduated within the past 36 months or are about to graduate from an accredited university or college in or outside of Canada prior to end of Dec. 2010
• Grad Program job postings will be open from September 1 – October 7, 2010
1171 replies
Mar 28, 2006
80 posts
1 upvote
snap.. when did you apply?

I applied on Jan 26th... can I assume I won't get a interview request?
Jun 21, 2008
46 posts
that's awesome! Good luck!
Remember to tell us how it goes after! =D
Jan 20, 2009
105 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
does it say anywhere what the salary is?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3586 posts
234 upvotes
Scarborough
No, I don't have any addition info besides the one stated on the website. Hence, trying to see if any RFDers know any extra info :P
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2144 posts
189 upvotes
Generally you should be prepared for two kind of interviews

1. Technical Interview

You should be VERY familiar with the kind of experience you claim in your resume. Let's say you wrote that you're an advanced user for Excel then be prepared to throw some functions you've used regularly and that they might ask "do you know VLOOK-UP" etc.

Being in business stream, I rarely encounter this kind of interview.

2. Behavioral Interview

99% of companies will ask you questions in this area. You can look for example questions on the internet. The key to answer this question is to provide SPECIFIC example that you have in the past and the results of course.

I know that perhaps I'm not the person you're looking to answer since I have obviously no knowledge of Loblaw, but that I hope could help you to prepare :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3586 posts
234 upvotes
Scarborough
UPDATE: So there was 1 interview and one group assessment. Only like ten questions for the interview (30min). All behavior questions; nothing technical.

The group assessment is basically they give you a marketing problem and you to present with your group about what you did.

They're only hiring 40 (not the 100 I heard earlier) and they're going to all the universities so they said they won't let us know if we got the position or not until Mid-March
Jun 21, 2008
46 posts
GateGuardian wrote:
Feb 6th, 2009 3:16 pm
UPDATE: So there was 1 interview and one group assessment. Only like ten questions for the interview (30min). All behavior questions; nothing technical.

The group assessment is basically they give you a marketing problem and you to present with your group about what you did.

They're only hiring 40 (not the 100 I heard earlier) and they're going to all the universities so they said they won't let us know if we got the position or not until Mid-March
was everyone at the group assessment a candidate for IT?
it seems odd that they require IT applicants to work on a marketing problem though
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
3586 posts
234 upvotes
Scarborough
Well it was more of a Case Study problem.

There were students applying for different positions too: Store Management, Supply Chain, Merchandising, & IT
Apr 19, 2007
6 posts
St Catharines
I am going to their hiring event in Guelph on Monday. Just wondering if you could tell me some more info about what kind of questions they asked you and more info about the group assignment? I really want this so I'd like to be super prepared.

Aug 29, 2004
587 posts
during the interview they asked standard behavioural-based questions
ie. tell me about a time when...
to prepare just google up behavioural based interviews and make sure you give specific examples of situations, specific examples of what you did, and the outcomes

the group thing involved discussing a marketing case in a group and presenting your conclusions to a group of loblaw employees
it was pretty simple and along the lines of "sales are down, we want sales to go up, what do we do?"
Feb 12, 2009
2 posts
Halifax
I am meeting Loblaw recruiters next week. All of these posts are going to help me. Thanks a lot guys.
× < >