Students

Grad school with a 2.7 CGPA?

[OP]
Sep 16, 2018
1 posts

Grad school with a 2.7 CGPA?

I’d love advice on whether it’s worth it to apply to graduate school.

I graduated with a 2.7 gpa. It improves as the years go on and my last two years averaged a bit above a 3.0. However, I’m now enrolled in a certificate program where I currently have all A’s. I’m not done yet but it’s looking promising.

I also have years of work experience, great references and am publishing a paper (hopefully) soon. I currently work in the field I am hoping to study in graduate school and no one knows about my low GPA.

I really really want to go into research but feel like I don’t have a chance with my low gpa. I’d love any advice on whether it’s worth it to try and any ways to help my chances!

Thanks a bunch.
10 replies
Jan 8, 2009
685 posts
309 upvotes
GTA
A lot of grad schools only look at your last 2 years or 10 full credits (as opposed to your whole undergraduate degree). If you really want to go into research, I would try and gain some volunteer experience at a minimum. I would also suggest you contact at least one of the schools you'd be looking at applying to and maybe go in and speak to one of their academic advisors. They could help you a lot more in terms of what's needed and how to best apply.
May 19, 2015
680 posts
251 upvotes
Depending on the grad school, if you can get a PI there are ways around the GPA requirement... that being said, 2.7 is very low and unless you have good reasons to justify them (family death, mental health etc) graduate studies will not even consider you without a PI vouching for you.

What I mean by this is... for example, you get rejected by x school of grad studies automatically because of GPA. However, PI at x grad school for sure wants you to work with them, PI has the ability to go around grad school cut offs and tell them to admit you because they will take you as a student. The reverse can also happen, you can get admitted to a grad school but depending on the school if you have to find your own funding/PI and dont then you dont start grad school even though you were admitted.

If your work is in a university that has a grad program that you want then youre probably set.

EDIT: I'm assuming you mean a research masters with a dissertation... if you mean professional masters like PT, OT etc then no. Your grades are too low and they won't even look at your application.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jul 23, 2014
207 posts
177 upvotes
Outaouais
Ayuikn wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 6:44 pm
I’d love advice on whether it’s worth it to apply to graduate school.

I graduated with a 2.7 gpa. It improves as the years go on and my last two years averaged a bit above a 3.0. However, I’m now enrolled in a certificate program where I currently have all A’s. I’m not done yet but it’s looking promising.

I also have years of work experience, great references and am publishing a paper (hopefully) soon. I currently work in the field I am hoping to study in graduate school and no one knows about my low GPA.

I really really want to go into research but feel like I don’t have a chance with my low gpa. I’d love any advice on whether it’s worth it to try and any ways to help my chances!

Thanks a bunch.
Well to cheer you up a bit, just gotta tell you I graduated with a 2.69 GPA out of 4.3 with a computer engineering degree and I managed to get accepted and completed an MBA from an top business school in the States with a partial scholarship. Mind you that I've aced the GMAT too. So don't give up. It's really up to you to do best with what you have!
Apr 26, 2016
105 posts
110 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
SuperHanuman wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 10:43 am
Well to cheer you up a bit, just gotta tell you I graduated with a 2.69 GPA out of 4.3 with a computer engineering degree and I managed to get accepted and completed an MBA from an top business school in the States with a partial scholarship. Mind you that I've aced the GMAT too. So don't give up. It's really up to you to do best with what you have!
SuperHanuman, this comment really cheered me up! I graduated with a 3.34 cumulative GPA on a 4.33 scale (upper division GPA was more like 3.0) in engineering and was worried about appliying to the top MBA programs. I know I will get a very good score on the GMAT, but was thinking that my mediocre GPA will be a hinderance. Not to side-track the main conversation, but would you mind sharing what schools you applied to, which one you picked, and how you were able to get a scholarship? I would really appreciate it!

Also, At the risk of sounding super nosey, would you also mind sharing how you did on the GMAT?
The leprechaun tells me to burn things.
Jan 8, 2010
120 posts
36 upvotes
SuperHanuman wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 10:43 am
Nice, congrats! Can you share what school you went to?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2440 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
My advice would be to apply as a mature student where you have a strong publication record and to find a supervisor who has agreed to take you on with funding provided. The toughest part with a low GPA is that you will not be considered for any scholarship awards - NSERC, CIHR, OGS etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1191 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
What program are you thinking of getting into?
I thought about it a while back but after visiting a few institutions website I decided against it. There are just too many options to choose from. I was not sure what I wanted to study yet.

I thought about doing an independent study course to see how I would like doing my own research at the university library but then I remember my undergraduate years and how I was at a lost the entire time of my research at the library starting from the catalogue. I just end up reading whatever part of a book that relate to my research topic and provided proper citation that an academically educated person would be able to understand and check. I didn't really wanted to read too much.

If you've been out of school for too long, you may want to attend some undergrad studies just to catch up on all the information that has been thrown around the last decade or so. I bet there is a lot of repeated information. The good stuff get cited over and over again but it has to be at least read and cites by at least one person first.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1191 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
I actually wrote to one institution by email and they didn't even acknowledge receipt of my email. Maybe their internet was down and never received it.

I wanted to ask and talk to somebody before planning a visit or goto an open house but nope, no reply. After being ignored, I guess they had too many students and was not looking forward to admitting more or that, based on my email alone, I appeared to be unfitting as a student to their institution so I didn't bother contacting them again.
Sep 2, 2016
228 posts
15 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 11:51 pm
I actually wrote to one institution by email and they didn't even acknowledge receipt of my email. Maybe their internet was down and never received it.

I wanted to ask and talk to somebody before planning a visit or goto an open house but nope, no reply. After being ignored, I guess they had too many students and was not looking forward to admitting more or that, based on my email alone, I appeared to be unfitting as a student to their institution so I didn't bother contacting them again.
Did you email the institution general email like the registar office or did you email directly the director of a program?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1191 posts
152 upvotes
Markham, ON
frank2243 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 3:13 pm
Did you email the institution general email like the registar office or did you email directly the director of a program?
I am pretty sure I emailed office of the registrar. It's been a while, I don't remember.