[OP]
Jan 28, 2019
1 posts

grade 11 marks

hey guys, i just got my semester 1 marks for grade 11 and i didn't do well in bio and functions, got a 61 in bio and 58 in functions. i did have co op which was a double credit and i got a 96, so my average is in the mid 70s. i know that co op wont help me at all when applying for universities next year but i wanted to know, if i can get my overall average to a 85 by the end of the next semester do i still have a good chance if i apply to good universities. i have no idea what programs i want to apply to but probably health sci or architecture. by the way my next semester classes are physics, english, chem, and woodshop.

also wanted to know, most universities state that you must have a math average of 75% and no math mark for example under 60%. does that mean no grade 12 math mark under 60 or does that also include grade 11
11 replies
Jan 8, 2009
699 posts
326 upvotes
GTA
Universities only look at grade 11 marks if you apply for early admission (and not all do early admission). Otherwise they'll go completely on your grade 12 marks.

With math and science marks like yours, I would highly suggest you look at getting a tutor or check out Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/ (free online lessons)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1019 posts
417 upvotes
Health sci as in Mac? Good luck.... Years and years ago it was a 90 average cut off to even have a shot in the dark to get into Mac health sci...

If UofT, if you're struggling in functions you won't make the 60 needed for calculus cut off - unless of course you feel like being one of the first years fed to UofTs first year cash cow and dropping out because you couldn't hack first year calc (which is mandatory for most/all? idk check the diff major requirements in life science). Might want to rethink sciences if you can't pull off good marks in bio. Of course this isn't to say you cant work super hard and do very well in calculus.

Also "good universities" is very subjective?? A uni could be good at a particular area but horrible in others. You need to look at the programs themselves and their cut offs.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7687 posts
2067 upvotes
Flash1320 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 9:31 pm
hey guys, i just got my semester 1 marks for grade 11 and i didn't do well in bio and functions, got a 61 in bio and 58 in functions. i did have co op which was a double credit and i got a 96, so my average is in the mid 70s. i know that co op wont help me at all when applying for universities next year but i wanted to know, if i can get my overall average to a 85 by the end of the next semester do i still have a good chance if i apply to good universities. i have no idea what programs i want to apply to but probably health sci or architecture. by the way my next semester classes are physics, english, chem, and woodshop.

also wanted to know, most universities state that you must have a math average of 75% and no math mark for example under 60%. does that mean no grade 12 math mark under 60 or does that also include grade 11
Don't rule out the College route
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Jun 18, 2018
575 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
I believe its no math mark below what they are requiring is mandatory (so grade 12). Honestly with those marks I would worry about even going into a profession that involves those subjects. Grade 11 is supposed to be a test run of how it will be in Grade 12 and Uni, and with those marks I would re-visit your aspirations. I mean you could always get a tutor or study harder, but up to you.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
blexann wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 10:25 pm
Don't rule out the College route
Or the trades, could be the better way to go
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7687 posts
2067 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 8:32 am
Or the trades, could be the better way to go
I'm not any where near the trades but wasn't it a thing years ago....not so much now?
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3253 posts
898 upvotes
Edmonton
blexann wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 11:19 am
I'm not any where near the trades but wasn't it a thing years ago....not so much now?
Crazy amount of work available. Work for half the year, take half the year off and enjoy life
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Aug 31, 2008
190 posts
58 upvotes
Flash1320 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 9:31 pm

Don't worry about grade 11 marks. I had a 65 average from grade 9 - 11, 90 average in grade 12 (the only year it counts) and got into every school I applied for: Rotman, WLU Double Degree, McMac, and Queens. (this was 10 years ago...)
vgosu
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Don't apply to too many universities. There are application fees with each application. I was cheap and only applied to the minimal number. You should have a good idea whether or not you will be accepted or not when you are applying in grade 12.

Continue working hard in Grade 11 to learn. In grade 12 your mark will start clean at the beginning but the material will build on things you picked up in grade 11. Don't forget about extra curricular activities. The better you do the more options you have in the future.

On your report card, are you above average, average or below average.

When picking courses for grade 12, you should really think about your strength and weaknesses based on your grades, as well as how comfortable you are at each subject, and whether you enjoy learning the subject matter.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
It does not matter what the university requirement is. If you cannot learn something or if something is too hard for you to understand, you probably will not be able to continue to study more difficult materials because you are still stuck at a more basic level.

Be honest with yourself.