• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2018 11:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2623 posts
13 upvotes

grade 12 physics help?

so one of the kids is a A student. But has trouble with grade 12 physics. I guess it's the problem solving troubles. She goes to tutor and the tutor helps her with the questions, but when the test comes, she doesn't know how to do it. Any website or tips would be appreciated.
6 replies
Dec 10, 2007
12 posts
4 upvotes
Vaughan
I suggest your child repeats the course on line at one of the schools accepted by the University Application System , my child was able to boost his mark in time for the admittance decision deadline.
Feb 2, 2018
215 posts
157 upvotes
Montreal
If your kid is getting good grades everywhere else like maths, no reason why she can't do well in physics. Sometimes people have a mental block for certain subjects, and then suddenly, it all just clicks.

I would get her to read a textbook section, then immediately do the exercises of that section and repeat onward. Then do all the relevant practice exercises the teacher posted. Maths and sciences at that level is all about the formulas -knowing them and how to apply them through various situations. Luckily all the formulas and situations in the tests are also in the practice material and textbook. You just have to practice until you're familiar. Learning through the textbook will also help her in university, where self-learning is absolute key!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3676 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
^ This. The sciences are all about reading, understanding, and then practicing, Your daughter should attempt every practice problem in the textbook.
Jun 10, 2013
414 posts
159 upvotes
Could be test anxiety. I remember when I was in grade 12 calculus and I was getting mid-70s early on. The teacher commented that I looked really tense while writing the test and that I should relax a little. I had that in mind when writing tests and ended up getting high 80-90s. Anxiety and stress activate your limbic system and that basically suppresses signals received from the front cortex (the part of the brain needed for physics or math tests).

Khan academy is amazing (and best of all free and comprehensive), it'll teach you at the conceptual level that will help you use those conceptual pieces to solve bigger puzzles. In physics I found drawing things helpful and writing down your knowns and unknowns (we wouldn't get full credit otherwise). Practice makes perfect though, the most important thing is getting a lot of practice doing problems (Khan's practice problems are very basic) but a good textbook with a full solutions manual would be helpful.