Students

Graduate School Acceptance

Sep 30, 2013
61 posts
I've done all my Grad applications that were due in Canada. I'm finishing the ones that are outside of Canada now.
Jul 23, 2009
590 posts
61 upvotes
Cork, Ireland
Just applied for pharmacology MSc at UofT and Neuroscience at UBC. The tough part is finding someone willing to fund your stipend (not surprisingly).
Nov 22, 2011
31 posts
8 upvotes
BAIE-D'URF
I just got into GSPIA at U of Ottawa. Very surprised to see them e-mail out results already.

Anyways I'm a little confused about the funding regarding GSPIA. While I didn't see anything in my e-mail or attached documents regarding funding, the GSPIA website states that: "The Faculty of Social Sciences has a minimum funding policy that guarantees at least $16,500 for the first year of study in a Masters program to all eligible students." I've sent them an e-mail asking for clarification because that statement seems pretty clear that all those accepted to the program are funded.

Should also add that I've applied at: Concordia (MPPPA), University of Ottawa (MA Political Science, GSPIA), Carleton (MA Political Science), University of Toronto (MA Political Science), Simon Fraser (MA Political Science) and University of Victoria (MA Political Science). Also might apply to University of Amsterdam this weekend but haven't yet made up my mind.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2411 posts
367 upvotes
savercanuck91 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2014 6:16 pm
Just applied for pharmacology MSc at UofT and Neuroscience at UBC. The tough part is finding someone willing to fund your stipend (not surprisingly).
You should be finding those people before you apply.
Banned
Sep 29, 2012
1269 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
I've been following this thread for a while.
Is it me or is everyone applying to public policy or something along those lines lol...
Save. Save. Save.
Spend. Spend. Spend.
Sep 19, 2013
5 posts
1 upvote
[QUOTE]I've been following this thread for a while.
Is it me or is everyone applying to public policy or something along those lines lol...[/QUOTE]

It's a good degree to get a foot into the door of government jobs, so I see why it is attractive! I considered it briefly also :)
Oct 4, 2012
128 posts
3 upvotes
Vaughan
I checked the Important Dates section on the york website for S1, S2 and S exam dates and was wondering if summer courses have midterms. The dates were only shown for the final exams. Are there any midterms for summer courses? And if so, when would the midterms be for the S1 term? Thanks.
Feb 1, 2014
6 posts
errath wrote:
Jan 21st, 2014 12:17 pm
Does anyone still browse this thread? I also applied to MPA and MPP programs...interested in knowing who else is out there!
Hey errath, I applied to the MPP program at UofT.
Feb 1, 2014
6 posts
Hokage wrote:
Feb 28th, 2014 9:02 pm
I checked the Important Dates section on the york website for S1, S2 and S exam dates and was wondering if summer courses have midterms. The dates were only shown for the final exams. Are there any midterms for summer courses? And if so, when would the midterms be for the S1 term? Thanks.
Hokage, it varies per course (different for sciences as opposed to social sci/humanities). If your summer course has a midterm (it might not), you'll find out from the prof and it'll be in-class. They never have formal exam dates for midterms.
Dec 3, 2014
2 posts
London, ON
ashleyv wrote:
Feb 27th, 2009 10:44 pm
Congratulations to both of you!

Offers must be coming out now because I was accepted to Guelph today for their Masters of Criminology and Criminal Justice Policy program and a friend of mine was accepted to Brock yesterday. :cheesygri
How were everyone pursuing an MA's grades in undergrad? I'm applying to English MA programs across Ontario with a B+ average, but a few schools I am a percentage or two below the cut-off. Is this detrimental, even if my referee letters and personal statement are excellent? Please let me know!! (currently freaking out a little if I should spend the money to apply)
Jul 7, 2014
60 posts
6 upvotes
Victoria, BC
stefaniehepburn wrote:
Dec 4th, 2014 2:59 pm
How were everyone pursuing an MA's grades in undergrad? I'm applying to English MA programs across Ontario with a B+ average, but a few schools I am a percentage or two below the cut-off. Is this detrimental, even if my referee letters and personal statement are excellent? Please let me know!! (currently freaking out a little if I should spend the money to apply)
I found this site to be extremely helpful during my application process: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

For your purposes, just type in "english <name of school>" and you can see historical results of when admissions were sent out, funding, grades, etc.

Every program and school has different admission criteria. My overall GPA, for example, just barely met the minimum requirement (got auto-rejected from a school for this) but the average for my major was considered competitive, and that's what saved me in the end.

My advice: sit down with a few of your professors (especially the graduate chair of your department) with your transcript + resume and ask them which range of schools you should be applying to given your current marks. They will likely know lot about the admissions process of other schools too.
Jun 29, 2007
573 posts
36 upvotes
stefaniehepburn wrote:
Dec 4th, 2014 2:59 pm
There are too many variables to say whether you should apply based on a few percentage points although i would say you never know unless you try. I'm not even sure how you calculated that since most do GPA and don't look at the percent? However, if your references are stellar, and you write a strong personal statement then yes, it can offset a B+ average.

If you show an upward trend in your marks then that can also work in your favour. If there are any particular reasons that you didn't do as well as you could've, then maybe have your professor address that (and make sure to talk with your prof about why you got a B+ instead of an A etc.). Maybe you switched majors, or whatever. Although some people say you shouldn't talk about it in your personal statement because you might be highlighting a bad mark for no reason.

At a competitive school, no doubt that you will be disadvantaged but with a B+ average, you should still be competitive. I'd apply anyway.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1988 posts
869 upvotes
thought i'd bump a dead thread..

anyone hear back from Criminology MA at U of T?
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad." :-0
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4869 posts
1989 upvotes
Richmond Hill
health informatics, uoft, fall 2015. Anyone else?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1132 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
does anyone know if graduate school application fees (and associated tests or prep courses) are tax-deductible?
Spent easily $2K on application fees, prep courses and the admissions test.