Graduate School Acceptance

Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4160 posts
108 upvotes
Austin/Markham
2009M5 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2015 12:34 pm
does anyone know if graduate school application fees (and associated tests or prep courses) are tax-deductible?
Spent easily $2K on application fees, prep courses and the admissions test.
that would be nice but unlikely...
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2413 posts
367 upvotes
2009M5 wrote:
Jun 10th, 2015 12:34 pm
does anyone know if graduate school application fees (and associated tests or prep courses) are tax-deductible?
Spent easily $2K on application fees, prep courses and the admissions test.
Skip the prep courses. Nobody should ever use them. If you can't do the standardized test on your own, how will you succeed in graduate school itself?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3740 posts
31 upvotes
Phlegmbot wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 9:59 am
Skip the prep courses. Nobody should ever use them. If you can't do the standardized test on your own, how will you succeed in graduate school itself?
I believe the prep courses are not necessary given the high cost but I don't believe requiring tutoring to get a competitive score on the GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc... would exclude someone from being able to succeed in graduate school. How much of the GMAT material correlates over to being able to complete an MBA for example? A family member of mine got quite a bit of tutoring for the GMAT (not the prep. course but private tutoring) after a relatively low score on the first attempt. He had no problem graduating from Rotman's MBA program.
Mar 26, 2013
285 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
do you need to have a certain average to qualify for funding for a masters program?
Sep 3, 2013
643 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking into PHCNP 2016 intake but GPA is under the cut off. I've matured and now have 7 years of full time experience. Anyone have any experience with this? I know someone with GPA just a wee bit below mine and got denied by Athabasca. ATHABASCA!
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4871 posts
1994 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kayceern wrote:
Aug 9th, 2015 1:45 pm
I'm looking into PHCNP 2016 intake but GPA is under the cut off. I've matured and now have 7 years of full time experience. Anyone have any experience with this? I know someone with GPA just a wee bit below mine and got denied by Athabasca. ATHABASCA!
Work experience, strong references and a well written personal statement can help an admissions committee overlook a poor GPA. Check with the program director and/or coordinator. Some programs are strict with their cutoffs, while others are a little more flexible. But at the end of the day, you can't win unless you play - if you think you're good enough for the program, go ahead and apply for it.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Nov 1, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey guys, could you have a look at my profile and tell me about my chances to get into UBC for the Computer Science program for a Graduate degree?
I have a 3.48/4.00 in my Computer Science and Engineering Bachelor's Degree from Bangladesh. I used this GPA calculator that UBC gave to gauge the final 300 and 400 core courses (minus maths courses) and scored an 81%, if I had taken into account my maths courses it would have been higher.
I have an 8.5 in my IELTS and a 318 in GRE (Q-164, V-154, A-5).
I was an undergraduate teaching assistant for the Engineering AND the English department working 30 hours a week (full-time) while studying as an undergraduate student. As you would know UGAs are EXTREMELY tough to find so I am hoping this would be a huge plus.
Sep 2, 2016
185 posts
9 upvotes
Any 2018 PhD applicants around? Anyone in civil engineering?