Students

Graduate School Acceptance

Mar 3, 2009
538 posts
Sephora wrote: Who's your supervisor at CSB? I just finished my Masters there in Dec 08 with Vince Tropepe.
What did you do for your Master's program? For your program, you didn't have to attend classes? Just do research and write a thesis? How long did it take to get your Master's degree?
Dec 25, 2006
784 posts
8 upvotes
I applied to Master of Financial Engineering (MFE) at UCB (University of California, Berkeley).

Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2123 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
nyrz wrote: What did you do for your Master's program? For your program, you didn't have to attend classes? Just do research and write a thesis? How long did it take to get your Master's degree?
My MSc. is actually from the Dept. of Zoology (I was grandfathered over, as the dept. transitioned to Cell and Systems Biology).

I was looking at molecular neuroprotective agents against Parkinson's disease.

I had to take 2 half-courses, but I think the new program requires just one.

I also had to TA for the first year to get stipend, but got OGS for my second year.

Otherwise, once your class requirements are out of the way, yes, it's just research and thesis.

All told, it took me about 27 months, start to finish.
Feb 23, 2009
56 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone heard from York University yet? My application was due February 1st and I still haven't heard anything...

My friends heard today from SFU and was rejected :(
Aug 21, 2003
383 posts
53 upvotes
Hey guys, I applied to Dalla Lana School of Public Health, too!! (Occupational and Environmental Health)

I am starting to worry because the timeline says interviews are between Feb - March 30, but it is already March 9 !!!!!

HSK wrote: Epidemiology - Dalla Lana School of Public Health

Seems your sister and I applied to similar things. Will keep you updated.
jandumm wrote: I'll do the same. Good luck!
Jul 26, 2008
327 posts
GTA
Sephora wrote: Who's your supervisor at CSB? I just finished my Masters there in Dec 08 with Vince Tropepe.
I'm going to be under dr.gazzarrini in sept. I'm still stuck at utsc, but a big portion of this decision is that I can probably TA without having to retake courses, since I've taken most of them already.
Mar 4, 2009
773 posts
29 upvotes
did anyone get accepted for U of T yet? I applied for their molecular genetics program (application deadline February 1st), and in the application status they are still saying "under review".
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
1001 posts
2 upvotes
imp wrote: did anyone get accepted for U of T yet?
Nope. Also had Feb 1 deadline and also see "under review". Good luck.
Jan 1, 2007
236 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
just curious... wat kinda marks did u need for ur programs?
Feb 23, 2009
56 posts
1 upvote
epy wrote: just curious... wat kinda marks did u need for ur programs?
It is hard to say. It really depends on the people you are competing against for a spot and the program itself. Most programs ask for a B or B+ minimum. However, most people will have an A- or A when they apply.

I applied with an 86% average and I have recieved acceptance from 2 of the schools I applied too. One of my friends applied with a low 80% average and did not get in to some of the schools she applied too. Although I have heard it is VERY competitive this year.

Hope this helps! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1799 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
epy wrote: just curious... wat kinda marks did u need for ur programs?
also depends on the schools. for PT the cut-off a couple years ago just to get an interview for McMaster was a 3.64 A-.

at Queens and Western, which require no interviews, the entrance average is closer to a 3.2-3.3 (somewhere between B and B+)

and above poster is correct... definitely wont get any easier in the coming years :|
Portfolio: AH87 Studios
Nikon D700 | Nikon 80-200mm AF-D f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

FS: MINT CONDITION Google Nexus S - $150 OBO
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1099 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats to those of you who got accepted to grad school!! :cheesygri

I will likely go to grad school to get my MBA... in about 6 years after I've had great work experience and to lessen the importance of my undergrad GPA.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
I know this is off topic. But here goes.. some grad schools say CGPA in the last years of your program. However I took 11 courses during the school year and 4 more in the summer. How would they calculate my CGPA? Would they consider all 11 or top 10? And how does summer school factor into it? I go to McMaster if that matters.
Mar 2, 2009
68 posts
[QUOTE]You probably know this, but to land a teaching position at a university, you'll likely need a PhD. A Master's degree, plus a few years of work experience, could probably get you a job as a teacher at a college. You might also be able to get some part-time teaching positions at universities teaching some of the more random, elective-style courses also.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realize that. And that is my plan--to get a PhD so I can teach at the postsecondary level. I will look into these "random, elective-style courses" though, to try and get some experience. Thanks.
Mar 2, 2009
68 posts
ashleyv wrote: Has anyone heard from York University yet? My application was due February 1st and I still haven't heard anything...

My friends heard today from SFU and was rejected :(
Yes, I heard back from York University last week. I got into an MA psychology program. My deadline though, was Dec.15th. So, you'll probably hear back next week.
Mar 2, 2009
68 posts
imp wrote: did anyone get accepted for U of T yet? I applied for their molecular genetics program (application deadline February 1st), and in the application status they are still saying "under review".
I am also "Under Review" at U of T. I applied for to the Institute for the History & Philosophy of Science and Technology (PhD). My deadline for application was Feb.1st. My status has been the same for what seems like ages...

I am curious about your opinions on something. I applied to a direct PhD program from having recently (last summer) finished my Bachelor's degree. Do you think I would have done better to have applied to the Master's? That is, do you think the criteria will be more stringent and therefore hurt my chances of acceptance? They say that they reserve the right to offer a Master's admittance when PhD is requested, but do you think they would? Just curious (and obviously anxious) since U of T is my preferred grad school at this point.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2006
1093 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
eoosen wrote: Yes, I realize that. And that is my plan--to get a PhD so I can teach at the postsecondary level. I will look into these "random, elective-style courses" though, to try and get some experience. Thanks.
I hear that in order to become a university professor nowadays, you should go for post-doc after PhD as there are too many people with a PhD.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
eoosen wrote: Yes, I realize that. And that is my plan--to get a PhD so I can teach at the postsecondary level. I will look into these "random, elective-style courses" though, to try and get some experience. Thanks.
If you just want to teach, you should become a lecturer, not a professor. You don't need a PhD for that.
Aug 21, 2003
383 posts
53 upvotes
Except s/he would forever be just a lecturer with little room to grow without a PhD

Phlegmbot wrote: If you just want to teach, you should become a lecturer, not a professor. You don't need a PhD for that.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2674 posts
801 upvotes
urban wrote: Except s/he would forever be just a lecturer with little room to grow without a PhD
How do you grow as a lecturer?

Lecturer -> Senior lecturer. That's how.

If you want to be a professor, you should never work as a lecturer. You should get a PhD, then try to get a professorial job. If you can't, work as a post-doc for a few years then try again. Although some fields basically require you to work as a post-doc after your PhD for whatever reason.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)