Graduated George Brown with low GPA ? What are my Options

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 3:27 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote

Graduated George Brown with low GPA ? What are my Options

in 2017 I graduated George Brown College in the community worker program (diploma) with a 2.5 GPA

I want to go to university (preferably Ryerson) for social work or something similar in the field

but understand my gpa is very low and most university wont accept me

What are my options ?

Thanks everyone
4 replies
Sep 29, 2014
205 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OP, apply to different schools and see what happens. I would even consider another year in college to raise your GPA. Contact the schools directly and speak with admissions representatives. Inform yourself and become more aware of the process. That being said, university is more challenging than college, so make sure you're academically capable and prepared to handle it.

Good luck, and come back here to ask more questions once you've done this. Most people here want to help others, and are not immature trolls like the person above.
Last edited by Redmask on Oct 2nd, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed nested quote
[OP]
Apr 26, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Eragon wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 11:27 pm
OP, apply to different schools and see what happens. I would even consider another year in college to raise your GPA. Contact the schools directly and speak with admissions representatives. Inform yourself and become more aware of the process. That being said, university is more challenging than college, so make sure you're academically capable and prepared to handle it.

Good luck, and come back here to ask more questions once you've done this. Most people here want to help others, and are not immature trolls like the person above.
Thanks a lot for this really appreciate it
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1024 posts
422 upvotes
My question for you is why you did so poorly in college... university is not easier I hope you realize. If you haven't addressed those issues you'll just fail out of university if you even get in. It's not all about getting in you have to be able to handle the work and graduate otherwise you're wasting time
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Jun 5, 2016
3 posts
Schooling and education for employment (as opposed to teaching/research etc) is a lot more strategic than more people think. I only realized this after years of floundering around school and work.

So many young people think that Just they you screwed a school year it means its the end of the world, from low grades, dropped out etc. Yes you are behind , but you still have a chance from a thing called part time classes.
Enroll is some part time classes related to Social work or a related area if you can, all you need his high school graduation for part time classes or certificate at most universities. MAKE SURE YOU GET GOOD MARKS AND DON'T SCREW UP THESES CLASSES. If you get into a Degree program program you will most likely be able to used the credits towards the degree. Make sure they are university credits. some part time classes are not.

IF YOUR TARGET IS UNIVERSITY DO NOT TAKE ANYMORE COLLEGE COURSES. START TAKING UNIVERSITY LEVEL COURSES PAT TIME. This way you are proving that you can do university level classes.
If you have poor time management kills, study skill take workshops at the nschool . A lot of school have stuff up on youtube now. Lots of stuff on study skills on youtube.
Social service worker programs at college is very hands on. Three is not a lot of academic vigor in these programs,. At the university level you will be writing a lot of essays, some very long, and doing research for the essays.

I think both Ryerson and UT offer a way to get into university for high school student that didn't didn't finish high school or have poor marks.
https://wdw.utoronto.ca/academic-bridging

Ontario college now have post diploma programs in social fields you could look, if you want to get into a specific area.