Grain free dog food may be linked to deadly heart disease

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 6:27 am
13 replies
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
852 posts
142 upvotes
I am currently feeding my 2 year old lab Orijen original which is concerning after reading this.

Any suggestions of good quality "non grain free" food I should be looking at trying instead?

Edit: from article:

"According to the veterinary cardiologists who made the reports, the affected dogs consistently ate foods containing peas, lentils, other legume seeds or potatoes as their main ingredients for months to years."

Orijen is 85% meat so certainly does not have these things as a main ingredient...
Dec 20, 2009
904 posts
130 upvotes
I've been feeding my 50 lb rescue mutt Stella and Chewy, which is grain free (but 80% meat). It is crazy expensive, but when near expiry drops to 1/2 price. I find it interesting that one of the authors says that he feeds his dog mainstream commercial dog food. Maybe I'll try PC Dog food, as it gets good reviews and is cheaper. I'm sure all the high-end dog food makers are freaking, as are stores such as Homes Alive Pets that rely on the sales of such food.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
852 posts
142 upvotes
Philbert wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 9:37 pm
I've been feeding my 50 lb rescue mutt Stella and Chewy, which is grain free (but 80% meat). It is crazy expensive, but when near expiry drops to 1/2 price. I find it interesting that one of the authors says that he feeds his dog mainstream commercial dog food. Maybe I'll try PC Dog food, as it gets good reviews and is cheaper. I'm sure all the high-end dog food makers are freaking, as are stores such as Homes Alive Pets that rely on the sales of such food.
Yes, and I am thinking of trying Costco Kirkland brand as it seems to get good reviews too...
Dec 20, 2009
904 posts
130 upvotes
1C5 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 10:38 pm
Yes, and I am thinking of trying Costco Kirkland brand as it seems to get good reviews too...
Yes, it does, but I’m worried about buying a huge bag and my dog hates it!
[OP]
Nov 20, 2008
852 posts
142 upvotes
Philbert wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 10:49 pm
Yes, it does, but I’m worried about buying a huge bag and my dog hates it!
Have no fear. Costco has the best return policy in the world. They would take it back if your dog didn't like it.
Aug 1, 2006
138 posts
47 upvotes
Philbert wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 9:37 pm
I think if you feed the Stella and Chewys you should be ok, especially if you feed the proteins higher in taurine such as turkey,duck,pheasant,fish. It's more the people feeding grain free kibble that might be low in taurine that could have problems. And it's not all dogs, since most dogs don't need as much taurine as cats do.
Dec 20, 2009
904 posts
130 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 6:28 pm
I think if you feed the Stella and Chewys you should be ok, especially if you feed the proteins higher in taurine such as turkey,duck,pheasant,fish. It's more the people feeding grain free kibble that might be low in taurine that could have problems. And it's not all dogs, since most dogs don't need as much taurine as cats do.
I’ve been looking to switch from Stella because it is just too expensive. At the dog agility show at K-Days in Edmonton they were giving away 2kg bags of PC Nutrition First Chicken and Brown Rice. Got 2 bags. Dog likes it and it seems to agree with her. May add some freeze dried raw to go with it.
Aug 1, 2006
138 posts
47 upvotes
Philbert wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 7:26 pm
I’ve been looking to switch from Stella because it is just too expensive. At the dog agility show at K-Days in Edmonton they were giving away 2kg bags of PC Nutrition First Chicken and Brown Rice. Got 2 bags. Dog likes it and it seems to agree with her. May add some freeze dried raw to go with it.
I have a French bulldog with horrible allergies, so I'm using frozen raw dog food from Big Country Raw. I'm mostly sticking with taurine rich proteins like turkey, duck, and occasionally fish. It's working out quite inexpensive. I'm giving her 1/2 pound per day right now, which works out to about 2.00 per day. This is much cheaper than using dehydrated raw, which has a lot less protein in it.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3649 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
Bull Dog wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 9:41 pm
I have a French bulldog with horrible allergies, so I'm using frozen raw dog food from Big Country Raw. I'm mostly sticking with taurine rich proteins like turkey, duck, and occasionally fish. It's working out quite inexpensive. I'm giving her 1/2 pound per day right now, which works out to about 2.00 per day. This is much cheaper than using dehydrated raw, which has a lot less protein in it.
just curious how is that going for you? we have a frenchie thats also prone to allergies.
Aug 1, 2006
138 posts
47 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 8:20 pm
just curious how is that going for you? we have a frenchie thats also prone to allergies.
Going great- has stopped licking paws almost completely. Still a bit of dirt in her ears daily which I clean out with a cotton pad with a solution of 25% vinegar 75% witch hazel, but she also has environmental allergies too. I also give her Reactine 10mg daily for the environmental allergies.
Aug 1, 2006
138 posts
47 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 8:20 pm
I forgot to mention that I also give her about a teaspoonful of organic virgin coconut oil, the contents of a 300mg capsule of fish oil, and some turmeric powder and pepper mixed with her food as well, to help with the allergies.

The only issue with the frozen raw food is that she tends to regurgitate it or even throw it up occasionally. I try to serve it a bit warmed up by thawing it in fridge 24 hr before serving and mixing it with some microwaved water to make it into a stew.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)