• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 3:47 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough

Grand Canyon bus tour from Vegas

We are planning to join a one day bus tour to go to Grand Canyon south rim from Vegas. I can see online price ranges from $75 to $150+. Any suggestion on a good tour company? Should we book ahead online? Like from vegastour.com?
39 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4217 posts
1468 upvotes
bbcheche wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 11:10 pm
We are planning to join a one day bus tour to go to Grand Canyon south rim from Vegas. I can see online price ranges from $75 to $150+. Any suggestion on a good tour company? Should we book ahead online? Like from vegastour.com?
You will be sorely disappointed. Spend 5 hours each way (so 10 hours roundtrip) on the freaking bus and you will have maybe 30 minutes at Grand Canyon, which itself is not that special. On the way, they stop at a mom and pop buffet but the lineups are absolutely HUGE. You literally have time for one plate and forget about getting seconds. It defeats the whole purpose of a "buffet." On the way back, you make a VERY VERY late dinner stop at a Carl's Jr. Imagine the same said lineup length. If I was a first timer in Vegas all over again I would rather not waste my time doing this and just enjoy one more leisurely day in Vegas, or just check out the nearby and much more accessible Hoover Dam and Red Rock Canyon. Just my 0.02
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3944 posts
2613 upvotes
Toronto
We did the South Rim Tour with Paradise Found Tours about 2 years ago and it was fine(although I have been to the West Rim before). We booked the day before online while in Vegas:

https://paradisefoundtours.com/
Nov 13, 2006
821 posts
427 upvotes
Rent a car and do it yourself, MUCH cheaper and you can stop when you want for lunch and dinner.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9407 posts
1931 upvotes
Markham
We did a bus tour to Hoover Dam for $79 for 2. (Groupon)
Well worth the money, they pick you up from any hotels at the strip, the driver tell you stuff along the way to make it entertaining. Admission included to go to the site underneath.
They have bus tour to Grand Canyon too, but we don't want to go and spend a day for it. I already visited few years ago.

We took a lot of pictures and don't have to worry about renting, we didn't rent a car during the trip neither. We uber/lyft to everywhere.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 26, 2016
299 posts
37 upvotes
asifnana wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 9:12 am
Rent a car and do it yourself, MUCH cheaper and you can stop when you want for lunch and dinner.
+1. I did this a few years ago, stayed overnight and hiked down the south rim to see the sunrise. on the way there we went to old route 66 to do sitgreaves pass one of the most dangerous drives in the US. Went to Oatman, tha place is worth the drive, google it. We hit some decent restaurants on the way there and the way back.

I am doing this drive (vegas - hoover dam - kingman - grand canyon south rim) and back on a day trip next week. Its about 12 hours of driving in one day and I will be the only driver... got to leave super early, like 5am... I'll let you know how it goes.

but all in all, forget the bus trip, its a tourist trap.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4013 posts
1160 upvotes
Moncton
I loved the Grand Canyon! 1000 times better than Vegas. You can explore it in Google Streetview to get an idea. You want time to walk a bit. Maybe not go all the way down, but at least a few hundred meters.

I'd recommend getting a car rental and spending the night in Flagstaff. Alternatively, you can take a Greyhound to Flagstaff and take a tour from there. If you are going to Flagstaff by Greyhound, consider flying out of Phoenix to avoid backtracking.

They have gambling in Canada and you will be sick of it after 3 days. Arizona and Nevada have breathtaking nature that is worth seeing up close.

Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17273 posts
2100 upvotes
Langley
Just rent a car. Go to the West Rim if you want to save some time. It's a bit of a tourist trap but sill pretty neat, and far closer. If you want to see the real thing, then drive to the North Rim and stay a day or two. It's a lot more peaceful at the North Rim as opposed to the South.

I always rent a car in Vegas. They're cheap, and by the time you've done the airport round trip, and one trip to the outlet mall, it's paid for itself over taxis. Anything else is a bonus.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Thank you everyone!
I'm skeptical to book the tour. There are lots of tour companies offering the same trip. The reviews are either extremely good or extremely bad.

Now you guys talk me into renting a car to Grand Canyon.
How is the drive? Is it easy to navigate?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17273 posts
2100 upvotes
Langley
bbcheche wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 11:29 pm
Thank you everyone!
I'm skeptical to book the tour. There are lots of tour companies offering the same trip. The reviews are either extremely good or extremely bad.

Now you guys talk me into renting a car to Grand Canyon.
How is the drive? Is it easy to navigate?
Yes. Bring your GPS, or preload maps on your phone, and go for it.
Sep 1, 2015
60 posts
5 upvotes
Grand-adventures.com offer a south rim "express" tour. Straight shot to south rim, 4 hours once there and straight back. 1 stop each way. We were back around 6:30 at night but driver was really good so we had a fullevening to ourselves once back. Pickup is at Bally's which is central(and where we were staying) so no lost time shuttling to a bus depot. 125$ each with Arby's sandwich for lunch included which ypu eat on site. It is a 15 passenger van but we were comfortable the whole way. We reserved day before.

Highly recommend.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4791 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
OP are you a couple?

The most romantic thing to do in LV is take a helicopter ride to the Canyon and watch the sunset while having a picnic with champagne down there.

We saw a marriage proposal while having a picnic.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9407 posts
1931 upvotes
Markham
whampoa wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:43 pm
OP are you a couple?

The most romantic thing to do in LV is take a helicopter ride to the Canyon and watch the sunset while having a picnic with champagne down there.

I thought about it when I went to LV, but the helicopter ride is like 400-500 minimum.
If it's a proposall, it's not bad for that budget, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16314 posts
13079 upvotes
Toronto
whampoa wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 11:43 pm
OP are you a couple?

did this, minus the proposal, years ago. Was about $800 each but a memory that'll last a lifetime. Also much better/cooler than spending hours on a bus with cheapos.
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
[OP]
Feb 19, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
I can imagine it's such a perfect place to propose.
It's a good story to share with your grandchildren.

Bf is a first-timer to Vegas. We try to be prepared for a hassle-free trip. Bus load of 50 people, unorganized tour, lineup to bathroom and lunch are not what we are looking for.