Grand Canyon bus tour from Vegas

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2018 3:47 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
454 upvotes
Mississauga
Just booked with GC tours for Nov. 22. First time in Vegas.
Now will look for other stuff I can do on the strip for free or low cost.
May 9, 2018
83 posts
18 upvotes
OP...I don't know if anyone has mentioned it above, but my son and I were there in March. Here is what we did:

1. flew into and stayed in Vegas off the strip
2. rented a car for duration of the time.
3. woke up early one day and drove to Hoover dam first, and then proceeded to grand canyon west rim (this allowed us to do our own thing)
4. got cheap flights to LA for the day early flight / late rtn and did hollywood and other tourist stuff.
5. west rim is the closest to vegas
6. Also went to the desert close to the raceway and did dune buggies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4032 posts
474 upvotes
I have been to that AZ/UT region a few times...and in June got a permit to camp down in the canyon

my tip if you're doing it as a side-trip on a bus tour... don't

now I can't comment on the Grand Canyon helicopter tour but if you fly to PHX you'll see it out the window on your way, I got a nice overview photo that way, i'm sure the helicopter route is drastically more up-close

now if you have 2 days to spare, i would highly suggest you skip GC and try Zion...renting and driving is dead easy, 2 hours away. The day-hikes and colours there are better than Grand Canyon

GC you really need a full weekend to appreciate

really depends what you're into...I would take Zion/Bryce/Antelope Canyons/Horseshoe Bend over Vegas any day of the week
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1548 posts
309 upvotes
Can you share your experience? I am flying on Thursday
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 12:51 pm
Just booked with GC tours for Nov. 22. First time in Vegas.
Now will look for other stuff I can do on the strip for free or low cost.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17273 posts
2100 upvotes
Langley
I drove to the North Rim and spent a couple days there in the motel. Very relaxed since it's a National Park instead of the zoo at the South Rim. The West Rim is a tourist trap but totally worth the time savings if you just want to see the canyon and take some pictures. I thought I'd hate the West Rim but I can't say it was all that bad.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
454 upvotes
Mississauga
newlyborn wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 10:47 pm
Can you share your experience? I am flying on Thursday
Fantastic!!!!
#1. Be ready for a long 15h day.
#2. First stop will be at McDonalds for paid breakfast. Eat all you want and get something extra for later. Lunch will be served at the Canyon around 2-3pm.
#3. Second stop will be at the Hoover Dam for pics and quick walk around.
#4. You will stop along Route 66 for break and photos.
#5. Visit the Grand Canyon, South Rim, and be blown away by the size and beauty. Neither words, videos nor photos you see can describe seeing this with your own eyes. My whole vegas trip was worth it just because of this.
#6. There will be plenty of stops to get drink and pee.
#7. Clean and safe van and driver.

If you need anything specific just ask.
Oct 24, 2011
110 posts
82 upvotes
Markham
Unless you book a private bus tour, my feeling is most of them are the same group. Few years back when I went, the shuttle picked us up at the hotel to a 'meeting' area, where there are another 100-200 ppl. We each have to line up and get a 'bracelet'. I also joined the helicopter tour (30 min around the canyon once we get there). It was pricey, but once in a lifetime experience for me.

The duration AT the canyon is about 2 hours where you can do your hike, take pictures and buy souvenirs. To be honest, all the pictures look the same after a while, lol~ The bus was painfully long (6 hours each way), and depending on your hotel location, you might not get back until 12am next day.

If I were to do it again:
1) private bus tour, or
2) helicopter from vegas, or
3) west rim... much closer.

Gonna go to valley of fire in 2 days (enroute to golf in mesquite, good to see some good reviews here!)

Good luck and enjoy!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1548 posts
309 upvotes
Wish I saw this before I left for LV. It would have eased me a little though may not have changed my GREAT experience with Grand Adventure tours.
Driver we were assigned was Tracy. What a jovial chap who knew how to make trip memorable. Kept cracking jokes even though may be tired. Did not skip any point in Grand Canyon. I am sure even he would have missed few spots, none of us would have noticed. Didn't rushed anywhere at all.
Indeed GC was the greatest experience which made atleast our trip worth while to LV. Tour operator Kevin was very courteous and he kept us well informed.
Great job done. I am so happy that did not fall for other cheaper bus tours . Ours was a small group with personalised service.
Will recommend Grand Tour Adventures to anyone in a heart beat,
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:25 am
Fantastic!!!!
#2. First stop will be at McDonalds for paid breakfast. Eat all you want and get something extra for later. Lunch will be served at the Canyon around 2-3pm.
#5. Visit the Grand Canyon, South Rim, and be blown away by the size and beauty. Neither words, videos nor photos you see can describe seeing this with your own eyes. My whole vegas trip was worth it just because of this.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong .
A tax is a fine for doing right .
May 23, 2017
873 posts
335 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:25 am
Fantastic!!!!

My wife and I did this but I drove it myself in one day. it was worth it so we could stop anywhere we wanted and take our time or hurry up. it was the best trip we could have done. I did the same road trip from Vegas with my sister a few years earlier but we split the driving. Thing is, I love driving, if you dont, do not attempt this by yourself with one driver.

When we got near the grand canyon, we drove straight to the Desert View Watch tower, a must see if you ask me. we worked our way back down towards the south rim visitors center and after that started the long drive back to Vegas.

also, FYI I would skip the west rim all together. it is a big tourist trap run by the Indians that own it. It also is technically not part of the actual grand canyon. South rim or North rim are the places to go.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
454 upvotes
Mississauga
newlyborn wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 6:29 pm
Wish I saw this before I left for LV. It would have eased me a little though may not have changed my GREAT experience with Grand Adventure tours.
Driver we were assigned was Tracy. What a jovial chap who knew how to make trip memorable. Kept cracking jokes even though may be tired. Did not skip any point in Grand Canyon. I am sure even he would have missed few spots, none of us would have noticed. Didn't rushed anywhere at all.
Indeed GC was the greatest experience which made atleast our trip worth while to LV. Tour operator Kevin was very courteous and he kept us well informed.
Great job done. I am so happy that did not fall for other cheaper bus tours . Ours was a small group with personalised service.
Will recommend Grand Tour Adventures to anyone in a heart beat,
I had the same driver. Also me being solo traveler I rode shotgun the entire trip :) spent a of time chatting with Tracy while others were more interested in their phones than what around them lol