• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:56 am
[OP]
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham

Grand Island (NY) Cashless Toll

I went to US last weekend for a small road trip and I passed by Grand Island Bridge to come back Canada.

The toll bridge switched to cashless booth this month and they will mail me a bill to pay. But my car is Ontario Plates and should I wait for them to send me a bill? (I doubt they mail to Canada for that $1?)

There is an online option but I need to enter the bill number to pay. It is only $1 and I don't want any trouble when I come to US in future.

I don't have EZ-link. Anyone experience it recently and what would you do? Thanks

UPDATED: Please register an account in https://www.tollsbymailny.com

They really capture my car license plate and show me photo as a proof online. So we gotta pay that by credit card online
Last edited by a16107 on Apr 2nd, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
52 replies
Dec 10, 2007
407 posts
225 upvotes
Arviat
Interested to find the answer to this too. I was quite confused how I ended up in an EZ pass lane and saw the cash lanes were barriered.
There were huge signs though saying call **826 to get a bill mailed to you, so unless you call you won't receive a bill?
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3503 posts
189 upvotes
Thornhill
They will mail it to you. I purchased an EZPass and had 25 bucks on it, was in NY this weekend and with a rental vehicle used it with no issues. If you travel to NY alot, I would just order an EZPass and have some money on it.
Jul 20, 2012
542 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
I'm curious as well.
I'm down there a few times a year. I'm wondering if they will add admin. charges to the bill if you don't have a transponder. I couldn't find any thing on their site.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
367 upvotes
Brampton
On my way back from US yesterday, took the bridge on the island, which usually costs 1$. I usually pay 1$ cash, but cash lanes were closed yesterday. Saw something like Toll by mail, but couldn't see all details.

I couldn't find further details on any website.

Anybody paid the toll through mail ? Not sure if they captured my number plate. Any info ?
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2076 posts
1235 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just went over this weekend and was confused too.

I just assumed it would be free as the cash booths were down Face With Tears Of Joy

I'll call in tomorrow to try and figure things out.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
367 upvotes
Brampton
Did they have cameras to capture license plate? I couldn't notice clearly.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Dec 29, 2013
31 posts
12 upvotes
I am interested to know how it turns out too.
Didn't have a great experience with toll booths when I went to NY last year.
I paid every tolls going into NY, but I received a note in the mail indicating I didn't at one of them.. It was either pay a fine or contest it with a request for a picture and go to court. Didn't want to go through the hassle and I paid it. Read a few comments online about the background and/or the company running the EZ Pass. They were mostly negative.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
rugerty100 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 10:06 pm
Just went over this weekend and was confused too.

I just assumed it would be free as the cash booths were down Face With Tears Of Joy

I'll call in tomorrow to try and figure things out.
Please let us know Thanks
Oct 23, 2017
411 posts
180 upvotes
GTA West
I guess it's time to get the EZ-Pass. We go in via the Whirlpool bridge with Nexus but have been coming back through Lewiston because we don't have bridge tolls set up on it. We usually take the I-190 south to shop around the Boulevard Mall area, so we have a couple of tolls to pay for most trips, and we even went to Rochester once on the toll road. I just hate to have balances sitting around on my Presto, and now on EZ-Pass.

I already have a 407 transponder so I will look into a temporary suction cup mount for the EZPass tag, or maybe just lay it on top of the dashboard when I cross?

I will probably get a tag at the Wegmans on Military Road when we stop in for our dairy products. But I see that the currency exchange office on the Lewiston bridge is also an authorized retailer for the EZ-Pass tags.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1895 posts
985 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 12:34 pm
I already have a 407 transponder so I will look into a temporary suction cup mount for the EZPass tag, or maybe just lay it on top of the dashboard when I cross?
I will probably get a tag at the Wegmans on Military Road when we stop in for our dairy products. But I see that the currency exchange office on the Lewiston bridge is also an authorized retailer for the EZ-Pass tags.
The E-ZPass comes with that clear velcro stuff, same as the 407 uses. I just mount the 407 to the left of the mirror (so I can see the indicator lights on it) and the E-ZPass to the right of the mirror (since it doesn't have lights at all). Alternately, you can just take down the 407 tag and mount the EZ-Pass on the same velcro, if you lined them up identically.

You can just mail-order an E-ZPass, no need to wait for your next US trip. This is how I did it:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

When I got mine, I prepaid $25(US) by credit card (that's the deposit/initial balance) and when the balance drops below $10, my credit card is charged $25 to top it back up again. If I ever want my balance refunded, I can just cancel my account and mail back the transponder. There's no rental fee unlike 407. (I wish someday 407 would accept E-ZPass, then I'd be ditching the 407 transponder!).

As for buying dairy products, I shop at Wegmans and Tops too but have you ever been to ALDI? I was there this past weekend, 2% milk is $1.71 a gallon, sour cream is 95 cents, butter $1.99.... (note that dairy at ALDI in Niagara Falls is cheaper than ALDI in Buffalo... must be a Niagara vs Erie County dairy tax...)
Oct 23, 2017
411 posts
180 upvotes
GTA West
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:54 pm
The E-ZPass comes with that clear velcro stuff, same as the 407 uses. I just mount the 407 to the left of the mirror (so I can see the indicator lights on it) and the E-ZPass to the right of the mirror (since it doesn't have lights at all). Alternately, you can just take down the 407 tag and mount the EZ-Pass on the same velcro, if you lined them up identically.

You can just mail-order an E-ZPass, no need to wait for your next US trip. This is how I did it:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

When I got mine, I prepaid $25(US) by credit card (that's the deposit/initial balance) and when the balance drops below $10, my credit card is charged $25 to top it back up again. If I ever want my balance refunded, I can just cancel my account and mail back the transponder. There's no rental fee unlike 407. (I wish someday 407 would accept E-ZPass, then I'd be ditching the 407 transponder!).

As for buying dairy products, I shop at Wegmans and Tops too but have you ever been to ALDI? I was there this past weekend, 2% milk is $1.71 a gallon, sour cream is 95 cents, butter $1.99.... (note that dairy at ALDI in Niagara Falls is cheaper than ALDI in Buffalo... must be a Niagara vs Erie County dairy tax...)
Thanks, great tips. We do stop at Aldi on Porter road once in a while and it is not out of our way. I will remind my wife to check out the dairy case. Although we sometimes see amazing sale prices on dairy and eggs at the other stores too, and we usually don't need more than the 2-quart size of milk. I really like some of the Wisconsin Italian-style cheeses we get at Weggers. At this time of year we also look for the ready to cook Irish style corned beef that comes on sale at food stores in Buffalo-Niagara after St. Patrick's day. It is not a product we see here and we enjoy it when the price is right.