Travel

Grand Island (NY) Cashless Toll

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:56 am
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3282 posts
537 upvotes
If you have a US-based bank account, there is a pay-per-trip option for NY issued EZ Pass. Another option for frequent travellers.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4260 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal
I didn't have a transponder for the 407 a few years back and they mailed me an invoice to Quebec. The toll was expensive enough but the admin fee they tacked on was a killer.
Phils
May 22, 2012
318 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 11:01 pm
Did they have cameras to capture license plate? I couldn't notice clearly.
They have the 407 style cameras set up, its a bit further down then where you usually pay the toll. The lady at the I-90 toll booth said by 2020 all the NY toll booths will be switched to this.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1617 posts
367 upvotes
Brampton
platinumtiger19 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 11:39 am
They have the 407 style cameras set up, its a bit further down then where you usually pay the toll. The lady at the I-90 toll booth said by 2020 all the NY toll booths will be switched to this.
Ah. I tried paying without bill, but they require a us credit card.
Koodo 60$ 10gb plan
Public Mobile 36$ 4gb plan
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1890 posts
982 upvotes
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 11:56 am
If you travel the northeast frequently (especially NYC with the traffic jams) you might as well get an E-ZPass. That system accepts Canadian credit cards no problem.
[OP]
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
anyone receive their bill? lol
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12810 posts
2336 upvotes
London
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 11:56 am
Some Canadian postal codes are not accepted online. It some weird bug in their system. There was a solution posted in the earlier ez pass thread. I think it was to use a certain US zip code instead of your Canadian postal code
[OP]
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
UPDATED:

Please register an account in https://www.tollsbymailny.com

They really capture my car plate and show me photo as proof even its Ontario. so i am going to pay online now lol
Aug 20, 2011
451 posts
219 upvotes
Pallet Town
a16107 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 10:49 am
UPDATED:

Please register an account in https://www.tollsbymailny.com

They really capture my car plate and show me photo as proof even its Ontario. so i am going to pay online now lol
So did they actually send you a letter in the mail asking you to register and pay?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1447 posts
186 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:54 pm
The E-ZPass comes with that clear velcro stuff, same as the 407 uses. I just mount the 407 to the left of the mirror (so I can see the indicator lights on it) and the E-ZPass to the right of the mirror (since it doesn't have lights at all). Alternately, you can just take down the 407 tag and mount the EZ-Pass on the same velcro, if you lined them up identically.

You can just mail-order an E-ZPass, no need to wait for your next US trip. This is how I did it:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

When I got mine, I prepaid $25(US) by credit card (that's the deposit/initial balance) and when the balance drops below $10, my credit card is charged $25 to top it back up again. If I ever want my balance refunded, I can just cancel my account and mail back the transponder. There's no rental fee unlike 407. (I wish someday 407 would accept E-ZPass, then I'd be ditching the 407 transponder!).

As for buying dairy products, I shop at Wegmans and Tops too but have you ever been to ALDI? I was there this past weekend, 2% milk is $1.71 a gallon, sour cream is 95 cents, butter $1.99.... (note that dairy at ALDI in Niagara Falls is cheaper than ALDI in Buffalo... must be a Niagara vs Erie County dairy tax...)
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/term ... _ind.shtml

PANYNJ monthly Account service fee $1.00

Is your plan grandfathered or something? There seems to be a monthly service fee of $1 now?
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
so what is the deal with this. as a person who travels over that bridge 2-3 times a year, what should I do? if I just go through and they mail me a bill, how much is the bill for?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3282 posts
537 upvotes
manho wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 10:04 am

PANYNJ monthly Account service fee $1.00

Is your plan grandfathered or something? There seems to be a monthly service fee of $1 now?
Monthly fee only applies if the EZ Pass is issued by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - if you apply from Canada it will be issued by the New York Thruway Authority, so no fee.
May 22, 2012
318 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone received a bill for this yet? Waiting for my $2 bill... They shouldn't have a hard time finding me, my plates are registered to an EZ Pass account, just forgot my transponder that trip.
Aug 20, 2011
451 posts
219 upvotes
Pallet Town
I don't have an account, but I've been waiting for a bill since December.. lol
Oct 17, 2015
222 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just passed thru the bridge and am equally confused. There are no signs for Canadians so it's really confusing. I don't want to take a chance with waiting for bill in the mail. If it gets lost in mail, don't want to hassled at border for unpaid bill.
Does not seem likely anyone in ON has ft the bill yet.
Wondering if they can deduct money automatically from nexus card balance?