Travel

Grand Island (NY) Cashless Toll

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:56 am
May 31, 2008
510 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
I used a rental car recently and it freaked me out- i was so worried about the rental car company getting the bill and then giving me a $20 admin fee or something.
I went online right after going through the bridge and paid it- no problem- I got a confirmation email from them within 5 days.

Its very confusing overall.
Jul 2, 2018
1 posts
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 11:56 am
Ah. I tried paying without bill, but they require a us credit card.
submalst wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 6:21 pm
I used a rental car recently and it freaked me out- i was so worried about the rental car company getting the bill and then giving me a $20 admin fee or something.
I went online right after going through the bridge and paid it- no problem- I got a confirmation email from them within 5 days.

Its very confusing overall.
How do you pay the bill? Where did you find the payment website?
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12537 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
So I have now gone over this bridge 4x over the last 2 months and have been utterly confused if it even applies to Canadians. I finally researched this and I guess it does. However, I have yet to get anything in the mail. I don't have a problem signing up and paying now that I know, but does anyone know what happens if you don't?
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20195 posts
133708 upvotes
GTA
So I have an update on this as I used the Grand Island Bridge recently, and I have an E-Z pass, BUT when I was driving, it was not actually mounted (I had just tossed it into my bag at the last minute and forgot about it). Despite this, because my plate is associated to my E-Z pass account, I received an email statement where they have deducted the $0.95 for the trip (no admin fees or anything that I can see). I am very impressed with how smooth this worked.
May 23, 2017
686 posts
227 upvotes
I went over the bridge twice a few months back and received nothing.
Got that Zoomer account!
Oct 17, 2015
222 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I spoke to Tollsbymail and was told that they are getting lots of calls from ON plate holders but can not find their info in their system. I have a feeling that no one in ON has got a bill in the mail yet.
Those who have EZ pass can or probably have already got money deducted from their account but for rest of us we will have to get EZ pass for future travels.
There is no option on their website to search the tolls using ON number plates, only US plates are accepted. One can register an account with a credit card but I am wary of furnishing my CC info without knowing for sure that I do owe them something. if ON numbers are not in system yet then there is point in getting ahead of the curve.
Has anyone with an ON plate, registered and paid the bill on their website yet?
Has anyone with an ON plate received any bill in the mail yet?
May 22, 2012
319 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
toguy wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 6:04 am
So I have an update on this as I used the Grand Island Bridge recently, and I have an E-Z pass, BUT when I was driving, it was not actually mounted (I had just tossed it into my bag at the last minute and forgot about it). Despite this, because my plate is associated to my E-Z pass account, I received an email statement where they have deducted the $0.95 for the trip (no admin fees or anything that I can see). I am very impressed with how smooth this worked.
Pretty sure it read your transponder. Cause they never charged my E-Z pass when I forgot my transponder, plates are associated with the account aswell.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20195 posts
133708 upvotes
GTA
platinumtiger19 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:13 am
Pretty sure it read your transponder. Cause they never charged my E-Z pass when I forgot my transponder, plates are associated with the account aswell.
It was not only in my bag, but also within the read prevention bag, so I have my doubts about that. I'm thinking they went just by the association of my plate to my EZPass account.
Nov 5, 2013
5 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
In the same situation. I don't want an outstanding bill in my name. Please update if anyone pays their toll successfully.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6382 posts
3541 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 6:54 pm
The E-ZPass comes with that clear velcro stuff, same as the 407 uses. I just mount the 407 to the left of the mirror (so I can see the indicator lights on it) and the E-ZPass to the right of the mirror (since it doesn't have lights at all). Alternately, you can just take down the 407 tag and mount the EZ-Pass on the same velcro, if you lined them up identically.

You can just mail-order an E-ZPass, no need to wait for your next US trip. This is how I did it:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/signup/facility.shtml

When I got mine, I prepaid $25(US) by credit card (that's the deposit/initial balance) and when the balance drops below $10, my credit card is charged $25 to top it back up again. If I ever want my balance refunded, I can just cancel my account and mail back the transponder. There's no rental fee unlike 407. (I wish someday 407 would accept E-ZPass, then I'd be ditching the 407 transponder!).

As for buying dairy products, I shop at Wegmans and Tops too but have you ever been to ALDI? I was there this past weekend, 2% milk is $1.71 a gallon, sour cream is 95 cents, butter $1.99.... (note that dairy at ALDI in Niagara Falls is cheaper than ALDI in Buffalo... must be a Niagara vs Erie County dairy tax...)
Why would 407 accept ez pass? Different jurisdictions, 407 is mainly privately owned as well/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6382 posts
3541 upvotes
maybe they have a rule internally if it's under a certain amount they arent even going to waste their time sending the bill to canada.

407 makes sense cause a trip can sometimes cost $20 or more for one trip so even if it cost $3 to send the bill, it makes sense financially for them.

But a damn dollar? I dont think they waste their time to mail the bill.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1890 posts
983 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 11:21 pm
Why would 407 accept ez pass? Different jurisdictions, 407 is mainly privately owned as well/
Would be nice if they did but I don't expect it to ever happen.

But there's precedent for it. Before E-ZPass there were different tolling systems all over the northeast USA. MA had "Fast Lane", IL had "I-Pass", and so on. It just made sense to merge them all into one system so that it would be seamless tolling when, say, a MA resident were to drive to Chicago or down to Baltimore.

Oh yes, they take E-ZPass at the Niagara Falls bridges too (curiously, the E-ZPass readers at Queenston and Peace Bridges are the only ones physically located in Canada), but not 407 transponders. I don't drive 407 much as I don't need to, but i do take frequent trips over the border. So my car often has both transponders mounted on the windshield. I install the 407 one to the left of the mirror (since it has those indicator lights) and the E-ZPass to the right of it (as it doesn't have lights nor makes a sound).

If there is one major incentive for the 407 to accept it, it's so they can collect tolls from the many U.S. vehicles that use the road. Whenever I see an American plate on the 407 I smirk knowing the chances of 407 collecting that toll are slim to none (speaking from experience)
[OP]
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
lissey wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 10:57 pm
In the same situation. I don't want an outstanding bill in my name. Please update if anyone pays their toll successfully.
I paid it online and they did capture my license plate for viewing online
[OP]
Nov 2, 2015
417 posts
134 upvotes
Markham
AdsJoint wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:03 am
I spoke to Tollsbymail and was told that they are getting lots of calls from ON plate holders but can not find their info in their system. I have a feeling that no one in ON has got a bill in the mail yet.
Those who have EZ pass can or probably have already got money deducted from their account but for rest of us we will have to get EZ pass for future travels.
There is no option on their website to search the tolls using ON number plates, only US plates are accepted. One can register an account with a credit card but I am wary of furnishing my CC info without knowing for sure that I do owe them something. if ON numbers are not in system yet then there is point in getting ahead of the curve.
Has anyone with an ON plate, registered and paid the bill on their website yet?
Has anyone with an ON plate received any bill in the mail yet?
I don't have E-Z pass and I took an initiative on their website and fill in my car information to pay.

They never mail me anything thou