• Jul 20th, 2017 10:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
290 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Grand prarie alberta

Anyone ever been to or lived in grand prarie alberta? I got offered a job there. I am from toronto. How is grand prarie like?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4803 posts
902 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Redneck O&G town. Huge lifted pickup trucks everywhere. A lot of lonely oilfield men running around. Lots of women who just want to find an oilfield/trades man to spoil and knock them up; many are uneducated and looking for a easy way out. Stereotypical characteristics of a O&G town, GP being one of the larger ones next to Fort Mac.

It'll be a huge shock coming from a place like Toronto.

Most of the industry is in the oilfield services sector- which is busy in this town currently, so if you want to work, you'll always be employed somewhere- especially with a trades or trucking background. There is always a lengthy list of oilfield trucking jobs floating around. What were you offered?
Nov 13, 2015
48 posts
8 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
Relatively high crime rates last I checked. On the plus, relatively near calgary/edmonton and the rockies.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2013
290 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I lived in Prince George for a year from Toronto for work. I work in nursing.
Sep 4, 2007
993 posts
388 upvotes
Edmonton
lovetolearn wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 12:39 am
I lived in Prince George for a year from Toronto for work. I work in nursing.
I think your Prince George experience will serve you well when it comes to GP.
Oct 13, 2014
988 posts
414 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
Neverone wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:39 pm
Relatively high crime rates last I checked. On the plus, relatively near calgary/edmonton and the rockies.
How so? Edmonton is 5 hours away (as is P.G.) and Calgary is 8 hours away. The foothills of the Rockies are at least 2 hours away, travel via paved road, more if you travel on the forestry roads.

True that the latest crime rates are not favourable, however those rates are based on a percentage of population, as opposed to the actual number. Grande Prairie (note the spelling) offers a lot. You may have to change your lifestyle or expectations but look forward to being able to experience things you would never experience in Toronto. Now I have not lived in that area for over 25 years, however I have kept in touch with many of my friends and from what they tell me things have not changed all that much. It is a much slower pace and there are many things to do or places to go. It all depends on you.

If you are willing to adapt then you will enjoy your time there:

Become an outdoors person, such a wonderful opportunity to experience nature and the wildlife in that area (but you should know this as you lived in P.G. for a bit:

The Queen Elizabeth II is an excellent hospital, one of my old friends was the director of nursing. The city is easily traversed as most cities in the West using a numbering system in a grid layout.
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
Apr 5, 2017
127 posts
125 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
You'll eventually want a lifted turbo diesel with all the emission control systems deleted to pour black smoke on innocent pedestrians and other motorists in lesser, inferior vehicles. 1000+ lb-ft of torque in one of those is nothing to sneeze at, either.
Apr 7, 2007
227 posts
18 upvotes
I spent a few winters living in Grande Prairie for work, back in 2009 and 2010. I'm guessing it has probably changed a bit in recent years. I have to admit, as oil towns go I liked it quite a bit. Part of that was because it was big enough to have decent stores and services without feeling too big or hectic and I much prefer smaller communities. For comparison I live in a community of 5000 and the next largest place I lived was Estevan which I really didn't care for. I'll agree with rcmpvet, GP really isn't central to anything, which is probably a big part of why it grew to the extent it did. It's the largest town in the northwest corner of the province.