• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2014 12:28 pm
Tags:
None
May 27, 2007
101 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ikea - Hanstone price includes all cutouts, and sink install if you by the eclipse sink, otherwise $150 for the sink install. I have an L shape where the penisula is, but the Ikea guy did not quote based on longest linear. Floorplan attached

As we ask around town, had people that were dissatisfied with both Emerald and Planet Granite.

We are starting to think laminate looks good know.

[IMG]http://geralds34.smugmug.com/Other/BigG ... yuSg-M.jpg[/IMG]
Feb 9, 2010
13 posts
ottawa
ok that's because the L shape is formed by the counter and the island, so the measurement is :
1- the island lenght = x
+
2- countertop lenght = from left end edge to island = x
not to the far end (at right) of the island cause it's a separate piece
so for you linear pricing is better I believe...
Feb 7, 2006
473 posts
220 upvotes
I just got the HD flyer. There is a 15% off sale on all counters. 1 1/4" granite is starting at 65 now 55.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1568 posts
1129 upvotes
Ottawa
We got our granite through Deslaurier Kitchens (did our cabinets). They work with Granit Design in Quebec - good workmanship and decent prices (even through DK as middleman) though their selection focuses on the smaller-pattern granites rather than the big "wow" pattern ones. Don't know if Granit Design would quote to you direct or not.

Sorry no insight on quartz. We preferred granite.
Feb 9, 2010
13 posts
ottawa
houska wrote: We got our granite through Deslaurier Kitchens (did our cabinets). They work with Granit Design in Quebec - good workmanship and decent prices (even through DK as middleman) though their selection focuses on the smaller-pattern granites rather than the big "wow" pattern ones. Don't know if Granit Design would quote to you direct or not.

Sorry no insight on quartz. We preferred granite.
I love the natural appearance of granite too and the pricing is way better if you don't fancy for the capital letter wow pattern but still it's very good looking material. Believe me when I went to centerstone in ottawa I've almost forgot that I've a budget to do my ct :lol:

Granit Design is the fabricator for Home Depot here and like any big name they have a limited selection. like Lowe's they used name to described the product that don't even exist in the database like :

http://www.stonebtb.com

http://1000granitecolors.com/default.asp

now try to compare ... :confused:

so they did a good job?
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
Hey guys, bumping up an older thread as we are building a new home and my wife would like to install quartz for the kitchen/island countertops.

I got the quote from the builder and it will be about $100/sq.ft. Just wondering if that's what you guys paid (either with the builder or with the contractors after closing?)

I will go through the list of recommended companies in this thread and send them a copy of my kitchen plan to get quotes. If it's not much cheaper to do it after the fact, we will probably go with the builder to save the hassles and potential issues with the backsplash.

Thanks.
Nov 21, 2011
3 posts
GLOUCESTER
Try Creative marble , good pricing on Silestone and Caesarstone Quartz counters ,,,they have 250 different colors of quartz ,helped my wife to choose one :)
Sep 23, 2009
317 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
siqon wrote:
-mountain granite= overall more expansive not by much

Also add to Mountain Granite that their overall level of sucking is extremely high.

Service: Poor (such as not even showing up for scheduled appointments, no calls to reschedule until you harrass them asking "where were you?", then getting basic responses like "whoops!"
Quality Control: Poor (scratches on the granite, noticeably long ones, and then taking six months to get them to come over and handle it)
Care in the home: cupboard doors on island scratched, other nicks on the island

Such service has been shared by me and a few others!

Tsk and a Tsk!
Oh hey there
Jan 7, 2008
116 posts
20 upvotes
I'd highly recommend http://www.idealgranite.ca/

We've used them 3 times, though for Granite and Marble only.

Great value - and you can negotiate with them, and they should come in a good amount below the other places you've quoted.

Located near the YOW airport.

Good luck!
Mar 9, 2012
8 posts
OTTAWA
Hi,

We are in the process of renovating our kitchen. I would like to hear feedback from those who have quartz countertops. I heard alot about quartz, and they are more expensive than granite. We have received a quote of $5000 from HOMEDEPOT for 40sq feet kitchen. A co-worker recommends me Haysonstone? I found their website, www.haysonstone.com and i located their dealer in Ottawa. Has any1 use this brand before? I know about Silestone from Homedepot.com. The quote from my fabricator using Haysonstone was like $3000. SAving me $2000.

Any ideas?

thanks

Benny
May 12, 2014
1 posts
Ottawa, ON

I renovated a kitchen early in 2014 and used Planet Granite for the first time. Although I have used some other companies previously, there was nothing in particular to make me use them again.
Received excellent service from Meeta and the best installation work I have ever had for a granite counter top. From the initial visit to their showroom, follow up, measurement and installation, everything was handled very professionally. I would highly recommend Planet Granite .
Http://www.planetgranite.ca
Feb 14, 2006
288 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa
Hmmm. I'm looking to replace the kitchen countertops and will be very suspicious of Planet Granite now given the two last posts in the thread. Shady business practice signing up just to post those.
rjlworks wrote: I renovated a kitchen early in 2014 and used Planet Granite for the first time. Although I have used some other companies previously, there was nothing in particular to make me use them again.
Received excellent service from Meeta and the best installation work I have ever had for a granite counter top. From the initial visit to their showroom, follow up, measurement and installation, everything was handled very professionally. I would highly recommend Planet Granite .
Canonli wrote: I did my silestone countertop at Planet granite.
They are $2000 cheaper than Home Depot and $1000 cheaper than any other company I checked
I had to wait 3 weeks because they are busy. The job they did was excellent.
I will recommend Planet granite to anyone.
Jul 2, 2014
491 posts
168 upvotes
Maple, ON
You can try Gus's Kitchen and Bath. I know they do custom granite tops which are an inch and a quarter thick.

They also do quartz walls for showers but can also cut them for countertops, about 10.25 bucks a square foot with 150 labor charge on the piece for finishing, cutting holes in it, etc, whatever you ened to do to it. However, the thickness of the quartz will be about half inch thick and they don't recommend quartz for kitchen counters cause it burns. If you hold a torch to granite vs quartz, quartz will blacken in about 30 seconds.

The main advantage to quartz is that it is more uniform in texture than a grade B and below granite stone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)