• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2014 4:26 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 2, 2013
3 posts
Toronto, ON

Grappling in Toronto?

Hey guys, I'd just like to ask if anyone here has any experience with a BJJ club or wrestling club and could offer me some info? I live around Weston and Sheppard West. I'd like to delve into BJJ, and I'd like to find a club to wrestle at to improve my self (hopefully make it to the province-wide competition [being a high school student still]). I know of Impact Wrestling (which would be a remarkable commute), Toronto BJJ, Open Mat (although I hear they are quite expensive; can anyone attest to this?) as the more notable ones. There is a place near called Lanna MMA which claims to be a Gracie Barra affiliate - does anyone have any anecdotal evidence to the training quality there? Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
Did you watch Metamoris last night? After watching the main event i wanted to sign up to a BJJ gym RIGHT AWAY haha
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
Honestly, I would advise just google bjj gyms in Toronto, find ones you can actually go to (distance wise) and then just go in there/call them up & tell them you are interested & want to check them out. You can either watch a class, or join in 1 for free. That the best thing to do in my opinion. Toronto BJJ may be more expensive than Whatever BJJ, but it might be worth paying the extra $40 to you.
Be Happy
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2004
3682 posts
19 upvotes
beachdude wrote: Honestly, I would advise just google bjj gyms in Toronto, find ones you can actually go to (distance wise) and then just go in there/call them up & tell them you are interested & want to check them out. You can either watch a class, or join in 1 for free. That the best thing to do in my opinion. Toronto BJJ may be more expensive than Whatever BJJ, but it might be worth paying the extra $40 to you.
This, but calling them is useless depending on the gym you choose. Most of them make it hard to get info on the phone and want you to come in and try it, which is probably a good way to pick the right fit anyway.

Toronto BJJ and Open Mat are both legit, but they are both expensive. Toronto BJJ posts the prices (sort of) on their page but I will tell you that Open Mat is more expensive.
TheEugene wrote: Hey guys, I'd just like to ask if anyone here has any experience with a BJJ club or wrestling club and could offer me some info? I live around Weston and Sheppard West. I'd like to delve into BJJ, and I'd like to find a club to wrestle at to improve my self (hopefully make it to the province-wide competition [being a high school student still]). I know of Impact Wrestling (which would be a remarkable commute), Toronto BJJ, Open Mat (although I hear they are quite expensive; can anyone attest to this?) as the more notable ones. There is a place near called Lanna MMA which claims to be a Gracie Barra affiliate - does anyone have any anecdotal evidence to the training quality there? Thanks!
Lanna is more of a thai boxing gym, the GB affiliate is a purple belt teaching out of there and it is a smaller program and I haven't seen any competitors at local events out of there. If you want to grapple, I wouldn't choose it. Toronto BJJ or Open Mat are your best options but they are also very expensive. Xtreme Couture is much cheaper if you haggle a bit and if you are still in HS it is even cheaper, they have limited wrestling but the BJJ is ok - Wagnney Fabiano is a 4th degree black belt and WEC vet (I used to train under him and he is legit).

any other questions or about specific places just throw them up. I have trained at a bunch of places in the GTA.