Grass fed cow milk vs. normal milk

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2018 3:50 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2016
222 posts
35 upvotes

Grass fed cow milk vs. normal milk

Do you guys think there is any difference between them or is ‘grass fed’ just another supermarket gimmick?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2477 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
Not a gimmick if you go for the full fat milk. Otherwise nope. Just like organic. Zero benefits.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30647 posts
5542 upvotes
Ottawa
After pasteurization and processing....it's all the same.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2521 posts
754 upvotes
what the first guy said
if you are eating dairy/beef that contains fat. Then grass fed will be better in terms of health/nutrition.

However if you're buying fat free/skim, I wouldn't bother. The reason being is the whole point of grass fed beef is cows eating what they're supposed to, thus storing fat that is non-toxic. When they're fed food they're not supposed to eat, the toxicity from the food is stored when storing fat. So the fat will be less healthy.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
I recently was reading up on Butter Coffee

I can't find the link I read, but it explained the chemistry behind why grass fed butter (and not just any butter) was crucial in order to get the desired benefits. If I find it, I will post. It was a detailed explanation on corn (and other crap) fed cows and hormones, and a few other things.

I expect that there would be benefits, but they would ultimately depend on what the milk is used for (and what else is mixed with it).

I've never tried butter coffee, but am planning to give it a shot.
I tend to get pretty tired mid afternoon, and would like to see if this would change.

Edit - Could not find it, but here is something similar:

5 Reasons Why Everyone is Suddenly Putting Butter In Their Coffee
May 29, 2008
689 posts
217 upvotes
Hamilton
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 11:04 pm
Not a gimmick if you go for the full fat milk. Otherwise nope. Just like organic. Zero benefits.
What about the benefit of tasting awesome? I don't know about grass fed, but the organic milk in a glass bottle tastes great. The same brand of organic milk in bags or cartons can be a miss though.
Apr 4, 2012
508 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
toomuchpie wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:04 am
What about the benefit of tasting awesome? I don't know about grass fed, but the organic milk in a glass bottle tastes great. The same brand of organic milk in bags or cartons can be a miss though.
Which one do you drink? I can't really tell the difference between the taste of different Holstein whole milk, whether it's organic, grass fed or conventional, unless it was not pasteurized or batch pasteurized. Don't drink as much as I used to, but nothing was better tasting than raw when I was growing up up, batch pasteurized milk tastes close, it's a shame most use the high temp short time method. I found that Guernsey and Jersey taste better than Holstein too, from what I read those two breeds have more of certain nutrients than typical Holstein, there is also the whole A2 vs A1 debate.
May 29, 2008
689 posts
217 upvotes
Hamilton
nataliya64605 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 7:16 am
Which one do you drink? I can't really tell the difference between the taste of different Holstein whole milk, whether it's organic, grass fed or conventional, unless it was not pasteurized or batch pasteurized. Don't drink as much as I used to, but nothing was better tasting than raw when I was growing up up, batch pasteurized milk tastes close, it's a shame most use the high temp short time method. I found that Guernsey and Jersey taste better than Holstein too, from what I read those two breeds have more of certain nutrients than typical Holstein, there is also the whole A2 vs A1 debate.
I've had Organic Meadows and Harmony Organic brands in glass bottles, cartons and bags. I've also had a carton of PC branded organic milk. The PC one just tasted normal to me. Organic Meadows and Harmony Organic in the glass bottle almost always taste great (especially right when you break the seal and open it for the first time, with Harmony Organic being tasting slightly better IMO. The bagged or cartoned version sometimes taste good and sometimes don't taste like anything special; I'm not sure why this is.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2477 posts
389 upvotes
Mississauga
toomuchpie wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:04 am
I will put 3 cups of the same fat % milk in front of you (reg, organic, grass fed). You can tell which is which? If you can you are a super human being with some sort of jedi powered senses.
Honestly, the only milk that will taste different is the one straight from the cow that I used to drink as a kid living on a small farm where my mom would manually milk the cows we had.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2521 posts
754 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:15 pm
I will put 3 cups of the same fat % milk in front of you (reg, organic, grass fed). You can tell which is which? If you can you are a super human being with some sort of jedi powered senses.
Honestly, the only milk that will taste different is the one straight from the cow that I used to drink as a kid living on a small farm where my mom would manually milk the cows we had.
usually the grass fed milk does taste different, can't say the same for organic.
I haven't drank enough to know the difference from a blind taste test
Feb 25, 2018
87 posts
20 upvotes
Obviously there is a difference, I mean, they're different, right? One is natural, the other is a cow consuming feed and synthetic pesticides that it never would encounter in nature. How will that translate to you? Who knows.

I can't drink milk (I get psoriasis from it) but if I did, it would be grass fed all the way.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11806 posts
1702 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Grass-fed butter and grass-fed milk have butyric acid, which is good for gut health because it is anti-inflammatory.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
May 29, 2008
689 posts
217 upvotes
Hamilton
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 1:15 pm
Like I said, I don't know about grass fed; I've never tasted it before. But in all likeliness, yeah, I'd proably be able to correctly identify which is which in a blind taste test. There's nothing super human about that. Probably at least 20% of people would be able to tell that they at least taste different. Heck, even different brands of "regular" milk taste different. Neilson and Sealtest taste pretty similar but Beatrice is some some nasty shit.
Nov 12, 2014
349 posts
173 upvotes
Kingston, ON
What do "grass fed" cows eat in the winter when there is no grass? haha
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3481 posts
1266 upvotes
To me, the above is equivalent to choose your favourite long term poison.

I gave up on milk as part of my diet well over a decade ago because at that time I saw absolutely no health benefits in it, and I've seen nothing since to change my mind on that.