• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 4:47 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
59 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario

Grass over seeding now or waiting ....?

Are you overseeding right now or on hold for couple of weeks ?
50 replies
Feb 4, 2010
367 posts
87 upvotes
I'm doing it on Sunday. This is supposed to be the best time of year but it's pretty cool for this time of year, I wouldn't want to wait too much longer in case it goes below 0 before the end of the month. Mind you, I waited until end of Oct last year to overseed and was successful.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24436 posts
2455 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 9:32 pm
I'm doing it on Sunday. This is supposed to be the best time of year but it's pretty cool for this time of year, I wouldn't want to wait too much longer in case it goes below 0 before the end of the month. Mind you, I waited until end of Oct last year to overseed and was successful.
You think it is going below zero in September?
Feb 4, 2010
367 posts
87 upvotes
Well I can't predict the future but I don't think the possibility of that happening is that far from reality given it's already gotten to 4 degrees and I believe in parts of the province it has already gone below 0
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4466 posts
2302 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 9:48 pm
You think it is going below zero in September?
Unlikely but It's possible to get close enough overnight, depending on location. Certain parts of Ontario have already had frost warnings.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24436 posts
2455 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
fdl wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 11:22 pm
Unlikely but It's possible to get close enough overnight, depending on location. Certain parts of Ontario have already had frost warnings.
Grass seeds germinate best at around 10 degrees, I think I'll wait a few more weeks. The third week sounds good.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4466 posts
2302 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 11:25 pm
Grass seeds germinate best at around 10 degrees, I think I'll wait a few more weeks. The third week sounds good.
Cool season grass germinate best when the soil temperatures are between 50° and 65° degrees F. These soil temperatures usually occur when the daytime air temperatures are between 60° and 75° degrees
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
59 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
Ok so dethatched and cut to very low ,waiting to get aeration shoe - next step after spike aeration is to put topsoil light amount and then spread grass seed and rake to mix it up .Or put seed and then add soil and rake or some suggest mixing up seed and soil in wheel barrel and then spread it .? Which is correct ...?and also where do you guys keep spreader setting ,my seed pack doesn't say ?Tx.
Feb 4, 2010
367 posts
87 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 11:25 pm
I actually never heard that before. From my understanding and experience the most crucial factors are 1) enough water and 2) soil to seed contact. I don't think temperatures are as crucial but from my understanding temps above 15 degrees is ideal. The other thing to consider (and I learned this from experience) if you wait until leaves change colour, then you have the added job of raking up the leaves before seeding. That may not be a problem if you don't have that many trees but I couldn't keep up with leaves - takes 45mins for just the backyard and within 30mins it was as if I hadn't even raked. I'm actually renting an overseeder so I don't have to bother with buying and spreading top soil. I spent the day weeding and prepping the lawn. Tomorrow I will overseed my lawn and my parents'
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4466 posts
2302 upvotes
Mastero wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 5:21 pm
Ok so dethatched and cut to very low ,waiting to get aeration shoe - next step after spike aeration is to put topsoil light amount and then spread grass seed and rake to mix it up .Or put seed and then add soil and rake or some suggest mixing up seed and soil in wheel barrel and then spread it .? Which is correct ...?and also where do you guys keep spreader setting ,my seed pack doesn't say ?Tx.
Doesn't really matter as long as the seed is in contact with soil. When I use top soil I usually put the soil first and then the seeds, and then some light raking to mix it up a bit.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
59 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
fdl wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 8:50 pm
Doesn't really matter as long as the seed is in contact with soil. When I use top soil I usually put the soil first and then the seeds, and then some light raking to mix it up a bit.
Tx Fdl ,but putting soil first won't fill up the aeration holes ,which are meant to take seed to some depth .
Are u doing aeration or skipping it .
Feb 4, 2010
367 posts
87 upvotes
Mastero wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 8:58 pm
Tx Fdl ,but putting soil first won't fill up the aeration holes ,which are meant to take seed to some depth .
Aeration isn't meant for that. You're better off renting an overseeder for that purpose.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4466 posts
2302 upvotes
Mastero wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 8:58 pm
If you aren't adding soil, I think Aeration can have some added benefit prior to overseeding by pulling down seeds and putting more seeds into contact with the soil as you describe (though that's not its primary purpose). But if you are adding top soil, I don't think it matters that much. As long as the seed is in contact with soil and gets the right amount of water and sun, it will germinate.