Home & Garden

Grass over seeding now or waiting ....?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 4:47 pm
Feb 8, 2017
229 posts
82 upvotes
just overseeded yesterday. mowed the lawn a little shorter than usual, raked up the thatch, put the seed down with my spreader, then lightly raked over some topsoil. i figure i'd do it now as temps are not too hot, might get some more rain, and i have 6 weeks until i do my final winter lawn feeding so hopefully i will have been able to mow the new grass a couple of times by then.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4160 posts
360 upvotes
Markham
Thanks OP! Come to this forum to search this topic:)
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
61 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
So I did put without aeration but after good thatch removal ,also put in the starter fertilizer .Lets see will keep it moist for atleast two weeks.
Before and after pic.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4470 posts
2306 upvotes
Mastero wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 10:51 am
So I did put without aeration but after good thatch removal ,also put in the starter fertilizer .Lets see will keep it moist for atleast two weeks.
Before and after pic.
Looks good. Is that the existing soil or did you add more?

You may want to also investigate what caused the damage.
Mar 19, 2013
571 posts
157 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Mastero wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 5:21 pm
Ok so dethatched and cut to very low ,waiting to get aeration shoe - next step after spike aeration is to put topsoil light amount and then spread grass seed and rake to mix it up .Or put seed and then add soil and rake or some suggest mixing up seed and soil in wheel barrel and then spread it .? Which is correct ...?and also where do you guys keep spreader setting ,my seed pack doesn't say ?Tx.
I mix seed, topsoil & lawnsoil in a wheel barrel. Work it in to the existing grass with my hands. Give it a light tamping, apply a light coating of seed, lightly rake in. Apply starter fertilizer. Keep moist. Is this correct? The results are excellent. Works for me.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
61 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
fdl wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 11:00 am
Looks good. Is that the existing soil or did you add more?

You may want to also investigate what caused the damage.
Did add more topsoil raked it -overseed - raked again - sprinkled light top soil again - fertilized with starter fertilizer - 10 mts water soak .
Will give a nother soak for 10 mts in the evening ,and try with this regime for two weeks if it doesn't rain.
Immense heat did the damage I guess all south facing houses on street had same issue .
Tx everyone for advice .
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
61 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
Magoo61 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 11:06 am
I mix seed, topsoil & lawnsoil in a wheel barrel. Work it in to the existing grass with my hands. Give it a light tamping, apply a light coating of seed, lightly rake in. Apply starter fertilizer. Keep moist. Is this correct? The results are excellent. Works for me.
Will give this mix recepie in wheel barrel a try on backyard lawn ,and see how results are diffrent if any then front one .
Feb 8, 2017
229 posts
82 upvotes
jokerstone1 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:49 am
Anyone start fall fertilizer and over seeding yet?
now is the time to overseed. this weekend is perfect. don't want to wait too much longer
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
61 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
Hmm ten days back overseeded and don't see anything yet out of ground ...?Pouting Face
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2036 posts
600 upvotes
Mississauga
Mastero wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:24 pm
Hmm ten days back overseeded and don't see anything yet out of ground ...?Pouting Face
And it's only supposed to get hotter (GTA), so you better keep up with the watering over the next week
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8586 posts
526 upvotes
Right now it's a little too hot during the day. Over 20s everyday this week. I'm gonna wait till last weekend of Sept. Unless it drops significantly.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
[OP]
Apr 6, 2015
61 posts
10 upvotes
SW Ontario
Ok ,I see little grass sprouting now ,question is when to cut grass ,because rest of grass has overgrown ,as it remained uncut for 10-15 days .
Will mowing destroy new grass or should there be more wait ....?
Nov 7, 2012
596 posts
199 upvotes
TORONTO
Mastero wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 7:29 am
Ok ,I see little grass sprouting now ,question is when to cut grass ,because rest of grass has overgrown ,as it remained uncut for 10-15 days .
Will mowing destroy new grass or should there be more wait ....?
Cut high as possible. Maybe even avoid the areas where you overseeded as you might suck up the grass seed and fling it away. This is where a manual mower would work best.