• Apr 22nd, 2017 12:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3833 posts
16418 upvotes
TORONTO

Grass Seed brand recommendation - tips?

Looking to re-do my backyard from scratch and don't want to go the SOD way. Any recommendations for brands that you have tried and worked best?

For example - germination, growth, weeds, re-grow next winter etc.

Also where to buy them at decent prices. Cheers.
10 replies
Mar 19, 2013
437 posts
98 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Have used Scott's seed for 33 years, excellent results. Avaiable everywhere and regularly on sale. Scott's is an official sponsor of Major League Baseball, they have some nice grass at the parks.
Nov 7, 2012
349 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO
CIL golf green extreme surestart. It's actually on sale right now at CT for $11.39. I bought a bag last year to overseed my lawn and it turned out great. I actually found a better deal at Vandermeers nursery in Whitby (Lakeridge & Bayly) for $9.99 for the same sized bag. The seeds are coated I think. They grow pretty fast if the conditions are right. I planted late summer/early fall and watered in the morning/evening and had grass sprouting within a week. Had a lush lawn in less than a month.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3833 posts
16418 upvotes
TORONTO
Thanks both.

akswun, I'm trying to find more info on the CIL. Do you know what kind of grass it contains? Kentucky Blue, fescue etc. Do I need to look for a certain variety?

I was thinking of going for the heat/drought variety from Scott's based on how last summer was.
Nov 7, 2012
349 posts
70 upvotes
TORONTO
Good question. My google fu couldn't find anything. I'll have to check the bag when I get home. You might have to look for a certain variety depending on what grass is currently there, but you're in Toronto so its safe to say that Kentucky Blue and tall fescue is what you have. I think the golf green is a mix of Kentucky blue and rye grass.

But look into the Scotts grass seeds, I haven't tried it yet, I'm just going with what I've experienced.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
5785 posts
1871 upvotes
Markham
doesn't matter. Just put enough. The most important part is the top soil, at 1inch thick.
Aug 18, 2009
475 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking for sales on grass seed as well but I dont know much I need. How many sqft does 1 kg cover?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1108 posts
166 upvotes
Markham
VertigoM wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 3:45 pm
I'm looking for sales on grass seed as well but I dont know much I need. How many sqft does 1 kg cover?
To be honest, it varies. I think if you are covering a bare area, about 400 square feet. Overseeding, maybe 800 sq feet. Depends on the type of grass also since different brands have different mixtures.

You can refer to this site as a guideline, http://yardcare.toro.com/restore/tips-f ... erseeding/. Site uses lbs, but you can just divide by 2.2.

Anyhow, I think most brands write their expected coverage on the bags themselves.
Aug 18, 2009
475 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
HDawg wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:06 pm
To be honest, it varies. I think if you are covering a bare area, about 400 square feet. Overseeding, maybe 800 sq feet. Depends on the type of grass also since different brands have different mixtures.

You can refer to this site as a guideline, http://yardcare.toro.com/restore/tips-f ... erseeding/. Site uses lbs, but you can just divide by 2.2.

Anyhow, I think most brands write their expected coverage on the bags themselves.
Thanks! That's a good guideline.
Aug 18, 2009
475 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Costco has Scotts Supreme seeds on sale. $17 for a 4 kg bag. Is this inferior to Scotts Premium seeds?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3833 posts
16418 upvotes
TORONTO
VertigoM wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:44 pm
Costco has Scotts Supreme seeds on sale. $17 for a 4 kg bag. Is this inferior to Scotts Premium seeds?
I'm not sure. I just bought the Scott's Pure Premium 5kg bag at Walmart for $30.

Normal price is around $40-45.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scott ... 6788p.html
https://www.lowes.ca/grass-seed/scotts- ... 79677.html
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel