Green / Eco-Friendly

Grasshopper Solar Panel free roof install- checques.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 8:53 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2016
1 posts

Grasshopper Solar Panel free roof install- checques.

Hi Guys,
I know this topic might have been dealt with many times. About a year ago I got free roof Solar panels from grasshopper solar. normally you get a checque from grasshopper once a year. However, I have been receiving monthly checques of about $250 from HydroOne Mississauga. I called them to find out why they are sending me checques and was told they are my checques. I spoke to a grasshopper personnel and was still told they are my checques. I emailed them and got no response. Should I cash these checques? my guts tell me they are suppose to go to grasshopper. but if they are not claiming them what can I do? I need money. the checques are written in my name. It looks like its an administrative issue or problem between HydroOne and grasshopper Solar. If they come after me after I cashed the cheques and eaten the money what should I do?
thanks for your kind responses.
4 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10274 posts
1811 upvotes
Kingston
What was your deal with grasshopper? What were you supposed to receive?

I haven't seem the paperwork from a grasshopper deal but other similar "free panel" Deals actually have the homeowner entering into a $40,000 lease for the panels. Then the microFIT payments go to the supplier (grasshopper). This is in violation of microFIT terms which only allow payments to the homeowner. Hydro One may now be recognizing this situation and redirecting payments to you the homeowner.

Lots of guesswork by me there but if that's all right then you are liable for the lease agreement payments and most/all of the amounts you are receiving should be going to the lease (if that's what your contract actually is).
Jul 12, 2016
102 posts
24 upvotes
I think that in this case, as in other similar, it is better to get reinsured and wait for an official response to your request, even by e-mail. Of course, if the check is at your name, cashing them is not a crime, you have every right to do it. But if you received it in error, someday you will be forced to return the money, which is always cause a disappointment. Therefore, it is better if you're absolutely sure that you're doing.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13581 posts
4185 upvotes
One downside to not cashing the cheques is that they will go stale and there will reach a point you are unable to cash them. At least if you cash them and set the money aside until you have it figured out, you will have the money in case it is yours. Once the cheque has gone stale you may have troubles getting them reissued.
Oct 27, 2013
137 posts
25 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Are you sure those aren't the cheques for the power your generating? Regardless now you've posted on this site and have extricated evidence all over. Give money back.