Great Canadian Rebates (GCR) Rebate Issue

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2019 2:45 pm
May 16, 2016
47 posts
74 upvotes

Great Canadian Rebates (GCR) Rebate Issue

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on a recent experience I had using Great Canadian Rebates (GCR).

In June I signed up for their $23 Cash Back Tangerine offer, and now they refuse to honour it.
They say that it only applies to a Savings account, and I opened a Chequing account.
This is the page I saw in June when I used the service: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=ca
The offer is indeed called "Tangerine Savings Account", but they left 2 references to when it included a chequing account:

"The Cash Back Rebate from GCR is $23 and will be paid upon opening a new Tangerine Savings Account or Chequing Account."
"Cash Back rebate will be paid upon opening a new Tangerine Savings Account or Chequing Account."

They say it's obvious that it only applies to a Savings Account, and that there is no reason for confusion.
I told them that they should have removed all language applying to a chequing account, as soon as the offer changed to avoid confusion.
They refuse to let me talk to a manager, or honour the rebate.
Am I the one that's off base, or them? Did I have enough reason to be legitimately confused?
14 replies
Jul 29, 2019
47 posts
108 upvotes
Under the * it said "The Offer applies only to Tangerine Savings Accounts , Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts, Tangerine RSP Savings Accounts, Tangerine RIF Savings Accounts and Tangerine US$ Savings Accounts"
Unfortunately, it does not have chequing account...
You can argue but you may not win
May 16, 2016
47 posts
74 upvotes
mmoojojojo wrote: Under the * it said "The Offer applies only to Tangerine Savings Accounts , Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts, Tangerine RSP Savings Accounts, Tangerine RIF Savings Accounts and Tangerine US$ Savings Accounts"
Unfortunately, it does not have chequing account...
You can argue but you may not win
No, the star (*) is for the special "2.75% New Client Interest Rate Offer", not the $23 cash back offer.

"Special Offer: Become a new Client and earn 2.75%* interest on your first Tangerine Savings Account, TFSA or RSP Savings Account for 6 months**."
Jul 29, 2019
47 posts
108 upvotes
sunnyday99 wrote: No, the star (*) is for the special "2.75% New Client Interest Rate Offer", not the $23 cash back offer.

"Special Offer: Become a new Client and earn 2.75%* interest on your first Tangerine Savings Account, TFSA or RSP Savings Account for 6 months**."
You are correct, sorry I misread that part. Reading it further, here is also a "Please read section" at the bottom which also said Savings or Chequing account.
Are you able to send them another online inquiry by copy and pasting that link and Please read section?
I assume you didn't have a savings account with them prior to opening the chequing account.
May 16, 2016
47 posts
74 upvotes
I sent them the Google Cache link, and the quotes, and made my case.

The customer service representative said there's no reason to be confused, and refused to escalate my case to a manager.

They are not responding to my e-mails anymore, so I decided to ask opinions here, if I am in the right.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5527 upvotes
Vaughan
sunnyday99 wrote: I sent them the Google Cache link, and the quotes, and made my case.

The customer service representative said there's no reason to be confused, and refused to escalate my case to a manager.

They are not responding to my e-mails anymore, so I decided to ask opinions here, if I am in the right.
You can send another inquiry but it will not help. It was clearly your mistake, Tangerine will not give GCR a rebate because it was not qualified. In turn, GCR will not honour this rebate. To use GCR rebates, one must read fine prints on each vendor.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
You do appear to be in the right, but unfortunately it's the nature of the company you are up against.

Had it been a more traditional company selling actual products I think they would be working with you to resolve it fairly.

But as it is, if they don't get remunerated by Tangerine or anyone else then their stand is going to be they owe you nothing.
Even though they made an error in originally promoting the rebate.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
File a complaint with BBB. GCR has a good rating with them. It will escalate your complaint with GCR to, hopefully, someone with some common sense.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
GCR still has not updated their offer. It still includes chequeing.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
why not just click the link from there site again and open a savings account this time instead of a checking. they should update there wording though so others don't do the think the same thing.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
They really messed up on the wording of the offer
You are right ... they are dead wrong
But good luck getting anyone to listen, correct the error ... pay you the $ 23 Rebate
aaron158 wrote: why not just click the link from there site again and open a savings account this time instead of a checking. they should update there wording though so others don't do the think the same thing.
Lol... ya, if the offer is still in effect that’s what I would do,
And just transfer the money from your now Tangerine Chequing Account into the NEW Savings Account to do it.
So no additional cost to you.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
aaron158 wrote: why not just click the link from there site again and open a savings account this time instead of a checking. they should update there wording though so others don't do the think the same thing.
No, OP is entitled to what was advertised and shouldn’t have to go to any extra work other than fighting for what is owed to him.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
starchoice wrote: No, OP is entitled to what was advertised and shouldn’t have to go to any extra work other than fighting for what is owed to him.
fighting them is more hassle then the few clicks it would take to open the account they want u to open
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
aaron158 wrote: fighting them is more hassle then the few clicks it would take to open the account they want u to open
No point opening the account if he doesn’t need it.

It is also just a few clicks to file a complaint.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
You can claim false advertising.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)