None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1766 posts
187 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Great Sony Customer Service!

My almost 2 year old 40" Sony TV suddenly wouldn't come off of standby. I fiddled with the plug and then it wouldn't power on at all. The only thing I had changed recently was I had hooked up a laptop to the tv and left the cable attached. Knowing it was out of warranty I didn't even bother calling Sony but I called PC Mastercard as they offer extended warranties on anything bought with the card. They were super nice and helpful and told me that one of the things they needed was an estimate from an authorized Sony repair shop. So I called Sony and the guy put me on hold for a second and told me they were going to email me their offer. Ok? Not sure what he meant but waited for the email. So I get the email and it says they will send me a replacement tv (exact model, factory reconditioned) by Purolator and Purolator would pick up my old tv. All completely free of charge. I was pretty surprised in this day and age to get that level of customer service from a mega company like Sony.

In the end it turns out that the PC cable was causing the problem as it caused the problem on the replacement tv as well but still wow, great service!
15 replies
Mar 8, 2004
323 posts
88 upvotes
Montreal
I have a similar story, i have the 46'" XBR4 and it had a recall on it, but only for the ones sold on a specific range date (mine wasn't included), 2 years after i had bought it, some weird line of pixel doing the whole height of the screen started to appear and I thought it was going to cost a lot; so I called them up and they said well, the recall was expired, but they looked into it. So in the end, in a really courteous way, they referred me to a local authorized partner and they sent and changed the panel, updated the firmware and what not for free, delivery and pickup included.
Nov 25, 2010
115 posts
34 upvotes
No luck for me. $2400 Sony LED TV died after less than two years, bricked, they told me that's too bad.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Uh, did no one, including OP, realize that this warranty service was offered by the PC Mastercard extended warranty and not from Sony?! Sure, Sony repair shop was tasked for the replacement, but they weren't going to do it for free. It's Mastercard's insurer that would foot the bill.
Guncho wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 12:18 pm
Knowing it was out of warranty I didn't even bother calling Sony but I called PC Mastercard as they offer extended warranties on anything bought with the card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1766 posts
187 upvotes
Oakville, ON
No that is not the case. For Mastercard to pay for anything I would have had to submit a claim to Mastercard which I did not as Sony offered to send me a replacement TV.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Guncho wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 2:20 pm
No that is not the case. For Mastercard to pay for anything I would have had to submit a claim to Mastercard which I did not as Sony offered to send me a replacement TV.
Ok, I assumed Sony took your receipt, knowing you were going to claim with Mastercard, and they just had a SOP to deal with Mastercard's warranty. Kind of like how car insurance companies deal directly with garages for car repairs in accidents.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1766 posts
187 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Yeah nope. All Sony.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Guncho wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 2:28 pm
Yeah nope. All Sony.
Well then....
Are you currently located in Japan? Because that's the only place I've seen Sony go above and beyond.... and sell the same products as here, but that are made 100x more durable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1766 posts
187 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Oakville, Ontario.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11421 posts
2397 upvotes
Montreal
Guncho wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 2:49 pm
Oakville, Ontario.
Oakinawa, Onanigo?
Sep 2, 2012
191 posts
18 upvotes
Looks like worth while investing in a Sony
Jan 8, 2014
33 posts
14 upvotes
If you ever have the problem from SONY, just simply go to their facebook page and complain about the problem and your case will be solved within 24 hours, it's super effective !!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
2891 posts
101 upvotes
Oakville
Good to hear.
My 55" LG died one month after warranty, LG support couldn't care less and all they offered is the phone number of the closest approved repair facility.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1758 posts
256 upvotes
I had a similar experience with Sony when my TV started having issues. They were awesome and even called me several times afterwards to make sure everything was satisfactory. Great customer service and that alone will probably make me buy a Sony when it's time for a new TV.