• Aug 17th, 2017 7:43 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23891 posts
2294 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
aqnd wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 10:45 pm
Yeah, so you could have told enbridge to remove the billing as they don't have authorization (a signed contract), and you have the proof of them saying so.
I have to call Enbridge. I have my first bill and I haven't paid it. There is no mention of Cricket on the invoice but he amount seems high to just run a hot water heater.
May 2, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Okay so I just purchased an 8 year old home with a 4 year old Reliance rental water heater - model is a Giant UG60-40MFPV1-N2U-UE. Reliance is charging me $33.18 / month including HST.

I phoned Reliance and asked for the details of getting out of the rental. The options are as follows:

Buyout the existing 60 gal water heater for $1040 + HST + $40 account closure fee = $1215.20
Have Reliance disconnect and remove the water heater for $125 + HST + $40 account closure fee = $181.25
Disconnect & remove myself and drop off at Reliance depot. Only charge is for $40 account closure fee.

Based on the initial research I've performed I don't think a tankless water heater is the way for me to go because I don't like the idea of a lag for hot water or the cold water sandwich effect. What are some of the better vendors out there with good warranties on their water heaters? I thought I saw some ~$1000 products out there with 12 year warranties. If it's a fairly comprehensive warranty then I would be way ahead buying one of those considering 12 years x 12 months x $33.18 = $4777.92.

Any advice?
Feb 4, 2010
295 posts
72 upvotes
hashcel wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 10:15 pm
Okay so I just purchased an 8 year old home with a 4 year old Reliance rental water heater - model is a Giant UG60-40MFPV1-N2U-UE. Reliance is charging me $33.18 / month including HST.

I phoned Reliance and asked for the details of getting out of the rental. The options are as follows:

Buyout the existing 60 gal water heater for $1040 + HST + $40 account closure fee = $1215.20
Have Reliance disconnect and remove the water heater for $125 + HST + $40 account closure fee = $181.25
Disconnect & remove myself and drop off at Reliance depot. Only charge is for $40 account closure fee.

Based on the initial research I've performed I don't think a tankless water heater is the way for me to go because I don't like the idea of a lag for hot water or the cold water sandwich effect. What are some of the better vendors out there with good warranties on their water heaters? I thought I saw some ~$1000 products out there with 12 year warranties. If it's a fairly comprehensive warranty then I would be way ahead buying one of those considering 12 years x 12 months x $33.18 = $4777.92.

Any advice?
From my research when I was buying last summer, what I was told that the big box water heaters don't last as long as ones from rental companies - the ones from the rental companies are supposedly more durable and lower maintenance so a tech doesn't need to come out often (because it costs them money for each service call when it's under warranty) - not sure how much truth there is too that, but if you live in a city with hardwater and don't have a water softener either buy one or rent because your tank won't last as long - my parents are on their 3rd one in 10 years from a big box store. Reliance is just horrible so I definitely understand why you would want to break off any contract with them - if the model you have is decent (do some research on it) I would buy it outright, the price seems reasonable. As for the 12 year warranty - it's probably just for parts not labour - yours may still be under manufacturer warranty for parts.
May 2, 2014
5 posts
Toronto, ON
Sorry the house is in Stouffville and does have a water softener that seems to be doing its job. The water seems much softer than my previous condo water was so that is a plus.

When I asked Reliance how much of the manufacturer's warranty is still remaining on the existing unit the rep told me there is no manufacturer's warranty because Reliance buys the units at a lower price not inclusive of warranty (logic being they have their own technicians to maintain the units).

Has anyone tried contacting the manufacturer's of the rental company's heaters directly and buying from them instead of the big box stores? I'm interested in alternative vendors to the big box stores.
Apr 10, 2017
250 posts
65 upvotes
hashcel wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 10:15 pm

Any advice?
We're in a same situation but where are you exactly?

I live in a city where there's hard water. My home came with a water softener already. We pay pretty much the same price.

My tank needs servicing and I'm thankful it hasn't exploded or anything. I called Reliance about 3 weeks ago and told me they'll phone me back to get more details on my tank situation but of course they haven't called until now.

PS
the previous owners of my home were terrible at maintenance.
Images
  • 20170718_204622.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2087 posts
278 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 10:37 pm
From my research when I was buying last summer, what I was told that the big box water heaters don't last as long as ones from rental companies - the ones from the rental companies are supposedly more durable and lower maintenance so a tech doesn't need to come out often (because it costs them money for each service call when it's under warranty) - not sure how much truth there is too that
This sounds like something Reliance would tell you. Why do I say that? Because that's what Reliance told me. When I said I was thinking of putting in my own water heater and returning theirs, Reliance told me that their tanks were way better and would last much longer etc. My reply was that I should buy it out then. All of a sudden Reliance started going on about how unreliable water heaters are in general and that I needed to keep renting in order to use their services when it broke down. I thought you can't have it both ways, but apparently Reliance can. Their tanks seem to somehow be extremely reliable yet unreliable.
Feb 4, 2010
295 posts
72 upvotes
Chookman wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 4:46 pm
This sounds like something Reliance would tell you. Why do I say that? Because that's what Reliance told me. When I said I was thinking of putting in my own water heater and returning theirs, Reliance told me that their tanks were way better and would last much longer etc. My reply was that I should buy it out then. All of a sudden Reliance started going on about how unreliable water heaters are in general and that I needed to keep renting in order to use their services when it broke down. I thought you can't have it both ways, but apparently Reliance can. Their tanks seem to somehow be extremely reliable yet unreliable.
Haha it wasn't Reliance it was the company I ended up buying my water heater from - that's why I said I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but it does make a bit of sense in terms of saving $$ sending a tech out if they're installing crappy water heaters. When I said I wanted to buy it he didn't say how unreliable it is but he STRONGLY urged me to rent rather than buy focussing on "peace of mind"
Jun 5, 2016
16 posts
1 upvote
VertigoM wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 3:13 am
So I recently purchased a resale home (less than 2yrs old) with a Cricket rental unit. I took possession in April and I've been paying my Enbridge bill since then. However, the bill has no mention of the rental unit.

Is it possible that the original owner never signed a contract with Cricket and thus billing was never set up? Could it be that the rental unit has fallen through the cracks by now since it's been installed for nearly 2 years already?

If I do nothing, what are the possible scenarios that may play out?

Side note: the original owner is also the builder (custom home)
Same had happened to me after I bought resale home in mid June last year. The actual charges showed up in october in enbridge bill as lump sum rental for 4 odd months.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2671 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
I am so happy I got rid of rental water heater.

no water bills this year.

Reliance owes me $7 . they even send me bill saying they owe $7 but they not sending the chq.
Aug 18, 2009
523 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
dealwiththedeal wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 9:15 am
Same had happened to me after I bought resale home in mid June last year. The actual charges showed up in october in enbridge bill as lump sum rental for 4 odd months.
Thanks. I guess I'll just wait and see...
Feb 4, 2010
295 posts
72 upvotes
bsobaid wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:39 am
I am so happy I got rid of rental water heater.

no water bills this year.

Reliance owes me $7 . they even send me bill saying they owe $7 but they not sending the chq.
LOL...they're so incompetent one of the many reasons why I had no desire to stick with them...they're terrible
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1836 posts
274 upvotes
I moved into a new construction home in February of this year and it came with a Reliance water heater. I asked the builder about it as I had a brand new Bosch tankless I wanted installed. They said they couldn't sell me the house without it.

Long story short, I took possession and had the tank pulled out and replaced within a few days. I returned the tank myself and was asked for my authorization number (which I didn't have). The supervisor also asked me if I received a 'welcome package'. I replied no, as I didn't receive anything.

I dropped the tank off, grabbed my return receipt and left. The very next day I received my welcome package which thanked me for 'choosing reliance as my provider' and it proceeded to tell me that my tax was going to be 50-some dollars per month. Lol.

I called in wondering what the welcome package was about as I didn't have any rental equipment from them, and provided him with the details of my return. He said I wouldn't be billed for the tank. I asked him to repeat that, and he confirmed I would not be billed at all. Shortly thereafter I received a bill and called in to ask how I could possibly have a bill when I didn't have any rental equipment with them. I said it was returned a few weeks earlier. I have recordings of both calls.

To this day I haven't heard a single thing from Reliance since that last call. I haven't paid them a single cent.

They're a bunch of crooks that prey on unfavourable contracts for the consumer, and outright intimidation.
Feb 4, 2010
295 posts
72 upvotes
jrees wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 6:19 pm
I moved into a new construction home in February of this year and it came with a Reliance water heater. I asked the builder about it as I had a brand new Bosch tankless I wanted installed. They said they couldn't sell me the house without it.

Long story short, I took possession and had the tank pulled out and replaced within a few days. I returned the tank myself and was asked for my authorization number (which I didn't have). The supervisor also asked me if I received a 'welcome package'. I replied no, as I didn't receive anything.

I dropped the tank off, grabbed my return receipt and left. The very next day I received my welcome package which thanked me for 'choosing reliance as my provider' and it proceeded to tell me that my tax was going to be 50-some dollars per month. Lol.

I called in wondering what the welcome package was about as I didn't have any rental equipment from them, and provided him with the details of my return. He said I wouldn't be billed for the tank. I asked him to repeat that, and he confirmed I would not be billed at all. Shortly thereafter I received a bill and called in to ask how I could possibly have a bill when I didn't have any rental equipment with them. I said it was returned a few weeks earlier. I have recordings of both calls.

To this day I haven't heard a single thing from Reliance since that last call. I haven't paid them a single cent.

They're a bunch of crooks that prey on unfavourable contracts for the consumer, and outright intimidation.
They sent me a bill before I even got possession of the house. I got rid of the tank as soon as I got possession but they still tried to charge me. There was no contract as it was over 10 years old and they old me to continue using it until I stopped working :S

They have the most incompetent staff I've ever had to deal with. Fortunately I also did not a pay a cent but they harassed me for months and threatened sending my account to collection.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2385 posts
587 upvotes
Paris
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 5:09 pm
Haha it wasn't Reliance it was the company I ended up buying my water heater from - that's why I said I'm not sure how much truth there is to it but it does make a bit of sense in terms of saving $$ sending a tech out if they're installing crappy water heaters. When I said I wanted to buy it he didn't say how unreliable it is but he STRONGLY urged me to rent rather than buy focussing on "peace of mind"
I have a GSW Lowes tank and it is far quieter than my old rental.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 16, 2017
8 posts
Anyone recommend the 50l power vent at Home Depot rheem brand compared to Gsw?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

kot_2150, afshaikh