• Aug 20th, 2017 12:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2396 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
1892hco2 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:41 pm
Anyone recommend the 50l power vent at Home Depot rheem brand compared to Gsw?
I read bad reviews about the Rheem in various places. That was 2 years ago or so when I did mine so everything could have changed by now.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Jan 16, 2017
8 posts
Thx for sharing. I see more big stores sells Rheem and Gsw is not much existance than lowes.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
1984 posts
216 upvotes
So I called reliance, I assumed a contract when I bought my house 2 years ago (8 yr old house) and wanted to know how to get out of it.

Apparently I'm on month to month now and can cancel whenever I like. They quoted me the following:
1. Buy out the tank (installed 2008) $540 + HST
2. Remove the tank and drop it off at reliance $40
3. Pick up when not drained or disconnected $125
4. Pick up when drained $65

I'm told there are no other fees involved in cancelling and trying to decide on the best option. If they're going to charge me $40 to drop it off, that one seems like a waste already. 8 Year old tank doesn't seem like it's worth 540+hst, but it may last a couple more years, no? The only benefit to that is it saves the hassle of having to disconnect and drain the tank, plus buy a new one and have it installed.

It's a gas power vent, so I don't trust myself to do the work, nor do I want to have any insurance issues down the road so I would most likely choose the $125 drain and remove option, assuming that also means they disconnect it and carry it out of my basement xD

Edit: For reference they're charging me about $34 per month.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1556 posts
536 upvotes
KINGSTON
RandomSanity wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 12:46 pm
So I called reliance, I assumed a contract when I bought my house 2 years ago (8 yr old house) and wanted to know how to get out of it.

Apparently I'm on month to month now and can cancel whenever I like. They quoted me the following:
1. Buy out the tank (installed 2008) $540 + HST
2. Remove the tank and drop it off at reliance $40
3. Pick up when not drained or disconnected $125
4. Pick up when drained $65

I'm told there are no other fees involved in cancelling and trying to decide on the best option. If they're going to charge me $40 to drop it off, that one seems like a waste already. 8 Year old tank doesn't seem like it's worth 540+hst, but it may last a couple more years, no? The only benefit to that is it saves the hassle of having to disconnect and drain the tank, plus buy a new one and have it installed.

It's a gas power vent, so I don't trust myself to do the work, nor do I want to have any insurance issues down the road so I would most likely choose the $125 drain and remove option, assuming that also means they disconnect it and carry it out of my basement xD

Edit: For reference they're charging me about $34 per month.
That's actually not an unreasonable amount for the buy out.
Perhaps Reliance has smartened up and realised that it is better to get some money for their tanks rather than just the cancellation fee and a now useless tank. (They can't reinstall them, so they're scrap metal). Not to mention a whole heap of bad P.R.

It's up to as to what you want to do. If you call a plumber in to install a new tank, it'll be in the $1800 to $2200 range.

An 8 year old tank is roughly half way through its lifespan, depending on the tank and your local water quality.
Frankly, I'd take the buyout, simply based on the hassle factor.

You should look into changing the anode in the tank if you go the buy out route. There is plenty of info in this thread, and on the interwebs, as to how to go about it. At 8 years of age, the anode in the tank you are renting is probably pooched.
Jan 16, 2017
8 posts
Anyone? Also can someone provide any input on the Rheem 50gallon 36,000 btu compared to Gsw 40,000 btu?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2010
1227 posts
171 upvotes
What are some good gas+tank water heaters to buy?
I saw the GSW one from Lowe's (my parents have a GSW rental through Direct Energy, so I'm assuming it would be a good product?)

Also, to contribute to this post - if you purchased a pre-construction home from the builder and they put in a Reliance tank (not sure about other companies), you are not obligated by any contract as long as you DO NOT pay the first bill (once you pay their first bill, you've sold your soul to the devil for the next gazillion years). You will still need to get the tank back to them by either dropoff or pickup, and I'm sure there is a fee if you request them to pick it up. But there's no contract termination penalty.

I'm closing a brand new house in less than a month, and will be replacing the tank as soon as I get the keys.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
1984 posts
216 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 5:23 pm
That's actually not an unreasonable amount for the buy out.
Perhaps Reliance has smartened up and realised that it is better to get some money for their tanks rather than just the cancellation fee and a now useless tank. (They can't reinstall them, so they're scrap metal). Not to mention a whole heap of bad P.R.

It's up to as to what you want to do. If you call a plumber in to install a new tank, it'll be in the $1800 to $2200 range.

An 8 year old tank is roughly half way through its lifespan, depending on the tank and your local water quality.
Frankly, I'd take the buyout, simply based on the hassle factor.

You should look into changing the anode in the tank if you go the buy out route. There is plenty of info in this thread, and on the interwebs, as to how to go about it. At 8 years of age, the anode in the tank you are renting is probably pooched.
Thanks for the response, good to see this is not unreasonable for Reliance, and I was already leaning towards the least hassle method, however I assumed I would need to change the tank quite a bit sooner.

I assume the price of $1800 you quoted is not only labour but also includes the price of the tank? Seems a bit steep for parts and labour to replace an existing tank that is up to code regarding the venting/draining PVC, etc.

I'll call them back this evening to confirm the buyout price and see if they try to scam me out of the monthly fee amount we've pre-paid to October.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4919 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
RandomSanity wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 11:38 am
Thanks for the response, good to see this is not unreasonable for Reliance, and I was already leaning towards the least hassle method, however I assumed I would need to change the tank quite a bit sooner.

I assume the price of $1800 you quoted is not only labour but also includes the price of the tank? Seems a bit steep for parts and labour to replace an existing tank that is up to code regarding the venting/draining PVC, etc.

I'll call them back this evening to confirm the buyout price and see if they try to scam me out of the monthly fee amount we've pre-paid to October.
Did you consider having them service the tank before you buyout? Get a replacement anode rod.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Feb 16, 2017
148 posts
31 upvotes
i have reliance water heater and they are asking me to get protection for my ac and furnace as well for unlimited repairs with 19$ per month is it worth to add ?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4919 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
mattdominic wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 1:27 pm
i have reliance water heater and they are asking me to get protection for my ac and furnace as well for unlimited repairs with 19$ per month is it worth to add ?
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

$19/mth x 12 = $228/yr + tax
After 5yrs = $1140
After 10yrs = $2280
After 15yrs = $3420

Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
1984 posts
216 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 12:44 pm
Did you consider having them service the tank before you buyout? Get a replacement anode rod.
Will they do that at request? Especially when I just asked about the buyout haha
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4919 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
RandomSanity wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 4:26 pm
Will they do that at request? Especially when I just asked about the buyout haha
I did with Direct Energy. Haha.

Had them replace the anode rod, power vent fan, and temperature gauge. LOL

Feb 4, 2010
304 posts
74 upvotes
RandomSanity wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 4:26 pm
They're too incompetent to put 2+2 together lol. However, I'm not sure if I agree that a 9 year old tank is half way through end of life - I would say it's closer to end of life than half way. I was in a similar situation as you last year but the it was over 10 years old and they wanted almost $800 for buy out.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4919 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 10:00 pm
They're too incompetent to put 2+2 together lol. However, I'm not sure if I agree that a 9 year old tank is half way through end of life - I would say it's closer to end of life than half way. I was in a similar situation as you last year but the it was over 10 years old and they wanted almost $800 for buy out.
I would tend to agree with this. I think when it comes to the health of the tank, a lot of it depends on the hardness & water quality in your area, and whether the tank was properly maintained. Was the anode rod changed out no later than every 5 years? Changing the rod will extend the life of the tank.

Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4919 posts
966 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Not to derail the thread, but, general question regarding water softeners since there is conflicting information all over the web. Some say pro others the opposite. Do water softeners shorten or lengthen the longevity of a water tank?