• Sep 21st, 2017 11:18 am
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2531 posts
651 upvotes
Paris
chimaican wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:40 pm
Not to derail the thread, but, general question regarding water softeners since there is conflicting information all over the web. Some say pro others the opposite. Do water softeners shorten or lengthen the longevity of a water tank?
My whole plumbing system would seize up without a water softener. Especially the shower heads with their tiny holes. As it is with a 3k+ softener we get some of the rain head holes clogging. I can't see how the water heater wouldn't suffer the same fate from hard water. The minerals would build at the bottom of the tank and you would be heating through all that scale. Should always take a bucket off the bottom every month.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Feb 4, 2010
366 posts
87 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:39 pm
I would tend to agree with this. I think when it comes to the health of the tank, a lot of it depends on the hardness & water quality in your area, and whether the tank was properly maintained. Was the anode rod changed out no later than every 5 years? Changing the rod will extend the life of the tank.
I did not know this! Good information as I bought mine. Would I require a plumber to come in and do this? Anything else that would extend the life of the tank?
chimaican wrote:
Not to derail the thread, but, general question regarding water softeners since there is conflicting information all over the web. Some say pro others the opposite. Do water softeners shorten or lengthen the longevity of a water tank?
Most definitely yes if you live in area with hard water! Hard water makes a mess of things - even will destroy your kettle if you don't descale it. Technically anything above 0grains per gallon is considered hard but obviously there's varying degrees. I live in a city with very hard water - household water is 24 grains/gallon.

https://www.fcwa.org/water/hardness.htm
http://funkyfluff.ca/water-hardness-in-canada/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1589 posts
569 upvotes
KINGSTON
chimaican wrote:
From what I understand of the processes involved, a water softener will shorten the life of the tank if the anode rod is not inspected and changed as needed.
The residual salt in the water increases the rate of galvanic action, so the sacrifical anode will deteriorate more rapidly. A water softener will reduce scale build up in the hot water tank hard water, but if the anode is not replaced, the scale build up, in my opinion, is a moot point.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15657 posts
439 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Anyone know when the next GSW sale at Lowe's will be?

It's weird, the Lowe's website has a banner indicating $150 off water heaters but none of them are showing any price reductions.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7589 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 8:34 am
Anyone know when the next GSW sale at Lowe's will be?

It's weird, the Lowe's website has a banner indicating $150 off water heaters but none of them are showing any price reductions.
Yeah the sale is on now, but it's on selected units and up to $150, so, some are $50, $100, and $150. Go to the HWT section and on the very bottom left side, click on the special value filter. The 60G GSW is $150 off.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Jul 11, 2011
751 posts
447 upvotes
Ontario
koffey wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:26 am
Yeah the sale is on now, but it's on selected units and up to $150, so, some are $50, $100, and $150. Go to the HWT section and on the very bottom left side, click on the special value filter. The 60G GSW is $150 off.
For anyone in the market, the current sale model (60 gallon) is a BIG tank.

I went from a rental 40g to a GSW 50g and there is MORE than enough hot water for most households.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24417 posts
2449 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 8:22 am
From what I understand of the processes involved, a water softener will shorten the life of the tank if the anode rod is not inspected and changed as needed.
The residual salt in the water increases the rate of galvanic action, so the sacrifical anode will deteriorate more rapidly. A water softener will reduce scale build up in the hot water tank hard water, but if the anode is not replaced, the scale build up, in my opinion, is a moot point.
The benefits of soft water out weighs any negatives towards the hot water heater. You have considerably more plumbing that would benefit from soft water.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5014 posts
1060 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Yes, that was my understanding too, thx. So, need to change the anode sooner than every 5yrs, like every 3.5-4yrs
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15657 posts
439 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
koffey wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:26 am
Thanks, I see it now. I don't know if I need 60G though. I'm a DINK; dual income no kids :D

The 50G (for $859) is more than enough for us, even if the 60G is on sale at $999

But I'd still prefer to get the 50G when IT is on sale... hope they have a back-to-school event in September or something.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15657 posts
439 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Gee wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:50 am
The benefits of soft water out weighs any negatives towards the hot water heater. You have considerably more plumbing that would benefit from soft water.
Yeah, York Region is pretty bad for hard water isn't it?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7589 posts
1805 upvotes
Toronto
Indeed, keep your eye opened. I know someone used to bump or post in the hot deals section when it was on sale. I just checked all the flyers for this week and lowes is the only one with a hwt sale going on.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1044 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
MrFrugal1 wrote:
The anode rod becomes more redundant with soft water. No limescale to deal with.
Feb 4, 2010
366 posts
87 upvotes
Blitzo wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:11 pm
The anode rod becomes more redundant with soft water. No limescale to deal with.
I'm curious what, if any, maintenance needs to be done on the water heater with or without a water softener? Do I need to get the anode checked every x years? From your post, seems like no.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1589 posts
569 upvotes
KINGSTON
Blitzo wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:11 pm
Quite the opposite.
You are confused about the purpose of anode rods. They have nothing to do with scale or scale build up.
From a Goodle search for "Anode rod" :
These metals include aluminum, magnesium, and zinc. The rod is screwed into the top of your water heater and protects your water heater from rusting. When the tank is filled with water the anode rod sacrifices itself to protect the exposed steel of the water heater, through a method called electrolysis.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1589 posts
569 upvotes
KINGSTON
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:19 pm
I'm curious what, if any, maintenance needs to be done on the water heater with or without a water softener? Do I need to get the anode checked every x years? From your post, seems like no.
Under average water conditions, and the manufacturer of the tank, a water heater will usually last 10-15 years with nothing done to it. My mother's atmosphere vented (chimney) 40 gallon natural gas tank lasted 19 years.
This is why the rental companies business model works so well for them. They know that on average a tank will last roughly 12 years, and if they charge $35 a month rental, they'll get a $20,000 return on investment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)