• Jul 17th, 2018 5:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2634 upvotes
ON
Gee wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 12:05 am
Set your tank to a minimum of 60 degrees to prevent legionella. Anything lower and you're at risk

I set mine to 65 and use the mixing valve to cool it down.
I have it at 140F (60) and use it straight up.

But if you have a mixing valve, this is a good strategy to get more hot water if you're running out often. If you make the water 10% hotter you are effectively getting 10% more volume out of it as your mixing valve will be maintaining the same temp by mixing in more cold, less hot at the source.
Aug 5, 2008
664 posts
171 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 12:05 am
Set your tank to a minimum of 60 degrees to prevent legionella. Anything lower and you're at risk

I set mine to 65 and use the mixing valve to cool it down.
Good point. Didn't think of legionella. Just turned it up a nothch, even though I measured 130F at faucet (after travelling through pipes), so it should be OK.

I always try to keep it low-ish because of two little kids in the house, as well as the physics of it - exponentially less energy required for lower temperatures.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Mar 17, 2012
65 posts
5 upvotes
OTTAWA
I am looking to replace my rental water heater with either a buyout or purchase a new one. We are currently with EnerCare and I am paying 17.50 + HST in the rental per month. I figured I am paying about $200\year for which I can buy a brand new water heater and pay it out 4-5 years. I called Enercare with regard to this... but they told me that the buy out was the only option and it would cost be about 600 dollars. any such experiences. Our water heater is 40 Gallons and installed in 2011, brand is Rheem.

Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1570 posts
623 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Water heaters installed after Sept 2010, I believe, have the buyout as the only option of cancelling . $600 buyout isn't to bad, You could get them to do a service call on it, then buy it out after. 6yrs old isn't that old and you still come out ahead in the end
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2597 posts
750 upvotes
schade wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 6:04 pm
Water heaters installed after Sept 2010, I believe, have the buyout as the only option of cancelling . $600 buyout isn't to bad, You could get them to do a service call on it, then buy it out after. 6yrs old isn't that old and you still come out ahead in the end
What schade said, just buy it out, it will die in ten to fifteen years, maybe longer.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Mar 17, 2012
65 posts
5 upvotes
OTTAWA
When I talked to them few months back, they gave me the impression that I could replace the tank without a buy out. Is it generally a good idea to own the water heater? I am pretty sure they are reliable and last long.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28109 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
cybersitter wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 10:45 am
When I talked to them few months back, they gave me the impression that I could replace the tank without a buy out. Is it generally a good idea to own the water heater? I am pretty sure they are reliable and last long.
Replacing the tank will lock you into another rental contract.
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1355 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 5:02 pm
You have a green home, that tank has a 90+% efficiency rating and a high recovery. You can go with the cheaper big box store tank, but they're not efficient

Look at your schedule A for the buy out cost and negotiate with Cricket
Thanks, I didn't find anything in schedule A (countrywide) regarding water tanks.
I'll call them to find out about buyout, or possibly take the rental as I'm not planning to live here for very long.
How would I know if I have a "green" home?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28109 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reyoasian wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 12:18 pm
Thanks, I didn't find anything in schedule A (countrywide) regarding water tanks.
I'll call them to find out about buyout, or possibly take the rental as I'm not planning to live here for very long.
How would I know if I have a "green" home?
Scheudle A is from Cricket. Here is the one I received.

IMG_0299.JPG

If you plan to be there for less than 5 years you're better off just renting.
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1355 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 5:24 pm
Scheudle A is from Cricket. Here is the one I received.
If you plan to be there for less than 5 years you're better off just renting.
Ohhh, I thought you meant schedule A from builder's contract
I'll see how the pricing goes...closing tomorrow
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28109 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reyoasian wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:38 pm
Ohhh, I thought you meant schedule A from builder's contract
I'll see how the pricing goes...closing tomorrow
Cricket mailed a contract to me 30 days after my closing. You won't see schedule A for at least 30 days.

I suggest you concentrate on your 30 day Tarion report. Don't worry about the water heater till you get the letter. Cricket doesn't invoice directly. They bill through Enbridge.
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1355 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 1:00 am
Cricket mailed a contract to me 30 days after my closing. You won't see schedule A for at least 30 days.

I suggest you concentrate on your 30 day Tarion report. Don't worry about the water heater till you get the letter. Cricket doesn't invoice directly. They bill through Enbridge.
Yeah I saw the tank, billed through Enbridge.
I'm going to try to get them to drop the monthly rental if anything, since it's a good tank.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28109 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reyoasian wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 8:18 am
Yeah I saw the tank, billed through Enbridge.
I'm going to try to get them to drop the monthly rental if anything, since it's a good tank.
You already received an invoice from Enbridge? You just closed today? How did they get your Name?

First thing, call Enbridge and tell them to remove all third party billining. Then call Cricket and and ask them for schedule A

My buyout was $4368 and I said that was unacceptable. She quickly dropped the price $1000. I thought paying over $3300 for a water tank was excessive. I can buy a tankless for less.

Then I researched the tank I have and called around. The cheapest I found the tank for was $2500 installed. The EnviroSense tanks are high efficiency with quick recovery. I needed up buying the tank outright for $3300 Plus HST. It's a $1000 more, but after factoring in removal and dropping it off to Cricket, I wouldn't save much.

The main thing that got me was the fine print. Cricket can raise the rental price annually by 3.5% each year. It is not a fixed rate.
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1355 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 8:33 am
You already received an invoice from Enbridge? You just closed today? How did they get your Name?

First thing, call Enbridge and tell them to remove all third party billining. Then call Cricket and and ask them for schedule A

My buyout was $4368 and I said that was unacceptable. She quickly dropped the price $1000. I thought paying over $3300 for a water tank was excessive. I can buy a tankless for less.

Then I researched the tank I have and called around. The cheapest I found the tank for was $2500 installed. The EnviroSense tanks are high efficiency with quick recovery. I needed up buying the tank outright for $3300 Plus HST. It's a $1000 more, but after factoring in removal and dropping it off to Cricket, I wouldn't save much.

The main thing that got me was the fine print. Cricket can raise the rental price annually by 3.5% each year. It is not a fixed rate.
The tank says billed through Enbridge when I did PDI.
I'll call Enbridge first today then.
Thanks for the help!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28109 posts
3756 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reyoasian wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 9:19 am
The tank says billed through Enbridge when I did PDI.
I'll call Enbridge first today then.
Thanks for the help!
Congratulations on your new home. Now the nightmare begins.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)