The Great Water Heater Rental Scam

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 10:10 am
Jan 13, 2009
58 posts
5 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Jun 28th, 2017 9:57 pm
They definitely will threaten you with going to the collection agency (speaking from experience). Whether they do or not for such a piddly amount, I'm not sure. For me, it was only $60 which I was able to get waived but it took months and talking to a lot of stupid people at Reliance. You can try that route if you don't mind the hassle and headache otherwise better just to pay the $200. And yes it will affect your credit score if it goes to collections...not worth it. BTW the rental should have been on the first document you sign with the house price and what's all included (e.g appliances, etc.) - I forget the name of the document.
I don't know how, but my brother talked them into picking up their stupid heater for free and breaking a contract with us without penalty. I hope I never have to deal with these jokers ever again.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1329 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
Ok let me have a go at this. Moved into the the house in May 2017 first 3 months were free so after reading this thread I enquired about buyout price and gave an invoice for $4000+hst. I searched online how much my tankless water heater costs its about $1200 usd + tax and shipping etc. Current monthly payment is 45/month tax in. It takes about 7 and half years to reach price of the water heater. Comes with 10 year parts warranty but no labour warranty obviously. What should I do?
20170912_195651.png
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25397 posts
2753 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Tabooger wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:17 pm
If I call Enbridge and told them to remove the charge what will Enercare do? Are they going to fight me or fight Enbridge?
Enercare will fight you. It has nothing to do with Enbridge. They are just collecting on their behalf. Probably receive a small fee for administration.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7772 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
smrtphur wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:08 pm
Ok let me have a go at this. Moved into the the house in May 2017 first 3 months were free so after reading this thread I enquired about buyout price and gave an invoice for $4000+hst. I searched online how much my tankless water heater costs its about $1200 usd + tax and shipping etc. Current monthly payment is 45/month tax in. It takes about 7 and half years to reach price of the water heater. Comes with 10 year parts warranty but no labour warranty obviously. What should I do?
Guy, you have a top of the line Navien product. It will cost you a lot more than $1200 USD for this plus shipping, lol. Gonna buy it on kijiji or Amazon.com? Also, you need it installed. A 9.8GPM unit like this installed is well over $3000 and probably closer to $4000.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1329 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
I googled online and ita around $1200 usd for the tank. Of course there will be installation fee and shipping etc.

In the other thread someone was quoted 3k+tax for Navien npe240 model including installation.

I think its over priced at 4k
Images
  • Screenshot_20170913-113105.png
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7772 posts
1942 upvotes
Toronto
smrtphur wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:35 am
I googled online and ita around $1200 usd for the tank. Of course there will be installation fee and shipping etc.

In the other thread someone was quoted 3k+tax for Navien npe240 model including installation.

I think its over priced at 4k
Of course it's over priced, that's the way it works when you are stuck with a rental and you want to buy it out. But it isn't over priced to the point of paying $3000 for a 50G tank. What other options do you have?
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1329 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:17 pm
Of course it's over priced, that's the way it works when you are stuck with a rental and you want to buy it out. But it isn't over priced to the point of paying $3000 for a 50G tank. What other options do you have?
Good question. I emailed them see if I have any leverage. It sucks because I didnt really consider anything about water heater cost when I was busy picking paint colours lol. At least builder didnt cheap out with the product. Gotta stay positive!
Aug 16, 2013
110 posts
26 upvotes
MARKHAM
Hi guys, would appreciate some help on this...

Just purchased a 1.5yr old 3,000 sq ft home that contains a 50 gallon Polaris Water Heater that's close to $70/mth, and obviously way too expensive, but Enercare won't allow me to exchange it for something cheaper unless I buy it out for $5,000...

Anyone have insight on why this is so expensive and how to get out of it?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4290 posts
2902 upvotes
GTA
Veritate wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:04 am

Just purchased a 1.5yr old 3,000 sq ft home that contains a 50 gallon Polaris Water Heater that's close to $70/mth, and obviously way too expensive, but Enercare won't allow me to exchange it for something cheaper unless I buy it out for $5,000...

Thanks!
You can thank the builder of your house for accepting a bribe that forced the original buyer to use an Enerscum tank. I think you have no recourse, but be sure to check out this thread.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/great-wa ... m-1126945/
Aug 16, 2013
110 posts
26 upvotes
MARKHAM

Just purchased a 1.5yr old 3,000 sq ft home that contains a 50 gallon Polaris Water Heater GSW PR130-50-2NV that's close to $70/mth, and obviously way too expensive, but Enercare won't allow me to exchange it for something cheaper unless I buy it out for $5,000...

Thanks!
Aug 16, 2013
110 posts
26 upvotes
MARKHAM
engineered wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 10:14 am
You can thank the builder of your house for accepting a bribe that forced the original buyer to use an Enerscum tank. I think you have no recourse, but be sure to check out this thread.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/great-wa ... m-1126945/
Thanks buddy I will take a read....that is one long thread...I will post there as well. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3814 posts
525 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Does anyone know what's a good # to call Enercare with to cancel the rental and close the contract?

I've tried calling all the numbers listed on their site, but keep getting bounced around and eventually they would just put my # down for a callback queue but they would never call.

Should I just call Enbridge at this point? My tank shows up as a rental item, that I had to get replaced last week, so it's just sitting in my basement.

I basically need to call Enercare and tell them to pick it up and make sure there are no more rental charges.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1607 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
That is not a traditional water heater tank. Do you have hydronic heating?
Aug 16, 2013
110 posts
26 upvotes
MARKHAM
bubuski wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 11:11 am
That is not a traditional water heater tank. Do you have hydronic heating?
Thanks for the reply. I am almost certain I don't have hydronic heating ...I don't see any thermostats to control that anywhere in the house, nor covered outlets in bathrooms where the thermostat would be installed.
How can I find out for sure? I've only lived in it for a few week.