• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 8:30 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4693 posts
2495 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 11:58 am
Doesn't mean there aren't better options.

Ask Mike how it's going.
water-heater-replacement-recommendation ... #p27284013
Apparently $950 from home hardware, so ~$100 more than the "regular" one.
Ok, so as I mentioned that is a direct vent , not a power vent, which is what the original debate centred around.

I agree direct vent is a great option. But again it's much more expensive to buy and install so ROI is questionable if you are converting. For example If you are satisfied with a 6 year warranty you can get a 50 gallon atmospheric on sale for around $500.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7601 posts
2518 upvotes
ON
fdl wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:03 pm
Ok, so as I mentioned that is a direct vent , not a power vent, which is what the original debate centred around.
That is a power vent with two pipes (in and out).
This is a direct vent (no power)
http://www.gsw-wh.com/en/products/direct-vent

I have no desire to carry on this pointless conversation, I've said what needs to be said.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4693 posts
2495 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:19 pm
That is a power vent with two pipes (in and out).
This is a direct vent (no power)
http://www.gsw-wh.com/en/products/direct-vent

I have no desire to carry on this pointless conversation, I've said what needs to be said.
Regardless... Direct vent or "power direct vent" my point stands on negligible or even worse ROI if switching over from an atmospheric. And neither of those are units the vast majority of people are getting in their homes or are the unit the original poster was contemplating. Which is the regular PV that uses indoor air for combustion and therefore still suffers from some air infiltration.

Ultimately everyone should do their own homework. Below I will link a fairly good article to start with. Cheers.

http://structuretech1.com/water-heater- ... r-heaters/
Feb 4, 2017
67 posts
7 upvotes
Probably this was discussed before but i could not found any reliable answer for it...

I bought a new home and while signing agreement i had also signed paper given by builder mentioning they are putting hit water rental with Cricket comfort. I did not realize this during that time as i am first time home buyer. Monthly rental is $41/month and 1st year buyout is $3400 which is totally rip off.
I dont want to pay $40 each month tank rental. but i am not sure about my option as i have already signed annexure in agreement. I dont think its agreement with cricket comfort .
I am wondering what are my option. ANyone faced this kind of scenarios ? and what did they do?
Can i ask cricket comfort to remove tank as i dont want their service?
Penalty Box
Dec 19, 2009
2556 posts
922 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 10:32 pm
Probably this was discussed before but i could not found any reliable answer for it...

I bought a new home and while signing agreement i had also signed paper given by builder mentioning they are putting hit water rental with Cricket comfort. I did not realize this during that time as i am first time home buyer. Monthly rental is $41/month and 1st year buyout is $3400 which is totally rip off.
I dont want to pay $40 each month tank rental. but i am not sure about my option as i have already signed annexure in agreement. I dont think its agreement with cricket comfort .
I am wondering what are my option. ANyone faced this kind of scenarios ? and what did they do?
You might want to read contracts and understand them before you sign them next time.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bhushh009 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 10:32 pm

First, call your gas company and tell them to block third party billing. Cricket does not invoice directly.

Second, call Cricket Home Comfort, they will send you a copy of the contract. Look at schedule A for the buy out. Tell them that you are not interested in the rental and that you wish to buy out the contract. Tell Cricket that you want the builder's price for the buy out.

It should be less than $3400

If you have not paid a gas bill, then you may still have an out. If you have made any payments to Cricket, then you basically accepted the contract.

If you read the fine print. Cricket reserves the right to increase the rental annually. You may be paying $40 this year, next year could be $45

Cricket contracts are 15 years. $180 x $40 = $7200 and that is assuming there are no price increases.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10237 upvotes
How much amps do the typical gas water tank heater run on?

If it says 30 amps, does it really reach that high a current during its operation?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:04 pm

If it says 30 amps, does it really reach that high a current during its operation?
I would be really surprised if the power vent used that much power.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10237 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:48 pm
I would be really surprised if the power vent used that much power.
I wanted to use a smart plug/outlet but not sure if 15 amps is okay or if it is a fire hazard.

The 30 amp switches are expensive and negates a lot of future savings lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25895 posts
2889 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:53 pm
I wanted to use a smart plug/outlet but not sure if 15 amps is okay or if it is a fire hazard.

It’s not a fire hazard, but it would trip the breaker
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41595 posts
10237 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:56 pm
It’s not a fire hazard, but it would trip the breaker
So there is very little chance that 15 amp outlet/plug will burn?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7601 posts
2518 upvotes
ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:04 pm

Every PV I've seen has a standard 15A 3 prong plug attached.
Where did 30A come from?
There's no way that tiny motor uses more than 1800W.
Giant furnace motors are typically 500W.

30A (240V) would be an electric heater (the elements).
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
8 upvotes
China and malaysia have nothing on ontario when it come to pv's
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
821 upvotes
Paris
alanbrenton wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:53 pm

I seriously doubt the total power usage in a PV is more than 500 watts, certainly not 30 amps. Meter would spin like crazy. I have a wattage analyzer... if I can find it will throw it on my tank I bought from Lowes 3ish years ago

Edit: duh on me... my PV has a standard 3 prong plug. Certainly not a 30 amp plug. And it's a 15 amp circuit 100%.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)