Home & Garden

The Great Water Heater Rental Scam

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 8:45 pm
Apr 19, 2018
92 posts
15 upvotes
Lowes no longer carries the GSW Hot water Tank. Does anyone have recommendations on the next best unit?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9348 posts
1919 upvotes
Somewhere
Prestonxavier wrote:
Nov 11th, 2019 10:06 am
Lowes no longer carries the GSW Hot water Tank. Does anyone have recommendations on the next best unit?
Whirlpool = GSW.
:confused:
Sep 15, 2018
98 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
Prestonxavier wrote:
Really? I still found it here:
https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ted-520459

I just bought it 2 weeks ago too.
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Nov 11th, 2019 9:36 am
The tech spec is not necessary nor required, especially if ur pipes r already updated to white.
Lowe's staff told me I need to have an inspection tho, and her rough quote was really high (500-600). That's why I found another guy.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1923 posts
326 upvotes
Prestonxavier wrote:
I am personally aware of a Rheem hot water tank that has lasted for just over 20 years and is still going strong.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1006 posts
504 upvotes
Markham
peepthetoad wrote:
Nov 11th, 2019 1:28 pm
Really? I still found it here:
https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ted-520459

I just bought it 2 weeks ago too.

Lowe's staff told me I need to have an inspection tho, and her rough quote was really high (500-600). That's why I found another guy.
The purpose of the inspection is so they can give you a more accurate quote re cost, or to make sure the area you will be installing the water heater is according to code etc.
I had mine installed by Lowes and did not do the inspection. They ask you to do it in case your installation is weird and require higher cost (such as much longer pipes to install, drill to outside, not a direct replacement, etc etc)
Sep 15, 2018
98 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
savemoresaveoften wrote:
Nov 12th, 2019 8:23 am
The purpose of the inspection is so they can give you a more accurate quote re cost, or to make sure the area you will be installing the water heater is according to code etc.
I had mine installed by Lowes and did not do the inspection. They ask you to do it in case your installation is weird and require higher cost (such as much longer pipes to install, drill to outside, not a direct replacement, etc etc)
Yeah I know. But the feeling of paying $50 just to get quoted $500-600 made me go with another place.

BTW, what is the difference between those units?

1- https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ted-520459
2 - https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ted-520457
3- https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-water- ... ted-520456

All are 50gal 40k BTU tank. I'm not sure I understand the spec listed. Why is the Whirlpool cheaper with 9 years warranty?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1848 posts
886 upvotes
So I bought a townhome a few months back and took over the waterheater contract... YAY. I wanted to see when I can get out of it. They sent me this agreement that the previous owner signed and it conveniently has the date but no year. It is a 120 month contract. I emailed them back to provide proof of the year but I do not expect a resolution to this. What should I do?

If the 120 months is over or they cant prove the year, does that mean I can cancel this and get a new one installed myself?

any help is appreciated.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1783 posts
1062 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 14th, 2019 11:27 am
So I bought a townhome a few months back and took over the waterheater contract... YAY. I wanted to see when I can get out of it. They sent me this agreement that the previous owner signed and it conveniently has the date but no year. It is a 120 month contract. I emailed them back to provide proof of the year but I do not expect a resolution to this. What should I do?

If the 120 months is over or they cant prove the year, does that mean I can cancel this and get a new one installed myself?

any help is appreciated.
Run the serial number, model numbers online and through the manufacturer's website, you might be able to get a date of manufacture.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2898 posts
224 upvotes
Prestonxavier wrote:
This item is not available in British Columbia

May be province wise as I just checked the web site. GTA has few available.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1848 posts
886 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Nov 14th, 2019 11:38 am
Run the serial number, model numbers online and through the manufacturer's website, you might be able to get a date of manufacture.
thanks for that. it looks like I have a manufacture date of 2010-06-09. what are my options? should i ask for the buyout rate now? if i pay that off I can still use it and then install a new one when something happens. or should i wait until the contract is up and tell them to take it back?

I need to get out of this rental. its about $35 a month for a Giant 50gal ug50-n1u. Any help is appreciated. should I call them to get the buyout amount or just wait until the contract is over?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1783 posts
1062 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@riseagainstthemachine Seeing that you now have the manufacture date and the agreement has a date but no year then it is all in your favour. When the actual date approaches call them to cancel the contract. I would not even plan on a buyout unless you feel you have a few years of use left and depending on the cost of the buyout. It would appear that you right now have at least 7 months left on the contract.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Nov 2, 2015
148 posts
96 upvotes
Oakville
I believe after 2010 there is a depreciating buyout of the water heater from Reliance over a period of 16 years. I deal with water heater swap outs from Reliance almost daily and my customers have been informed the useful life of the equipment in their eyes is 16 years at which point no residual value will be left owing. Considering you pay 35 a month that tells me it might be an envirosense tank. I'm willing to bet there's a good 1200+ left owing on the tank but I would love to be proven wrong. Give them a call, ask the residual value, and report back!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1783 posts
1062 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@riseagainstthemachine EDIT to previous post - Check the contract itself. What does it say after the 120th month?
Oct 17, 2002
732 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Just bought out the my tank. It's a 6year old tank (power vent) that was rented from Reliance. Buy out was $1078 + tax, and was rented @ ~$30/month + tax.
Dec 26, 2007
172 posts
31 upvotes
North York
I have been lazy and have not yet replaced my rental Enercare water heater. However, it is acting up and I just confirmed with Enercare that I don't need to pay anything to return the existing (old) rental unit. I notice there is a save the tax event at Lowes. Is the GSW unit still the best bet? My rental is actually a GSW and I already have the white pipes, so I assume the install should be straight forward.

Lowes GSW