• Dec 8th, 2019 5:36 am
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1005 posts
504 upvotes
Markham
hovercraft wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:23 am
I have been lazy and have not yet replaced my rental Enercare water heater. However, it is acting up and I just confirmed with Enercare that I don't need to pay anything to return the existing (old) rental unit. I notice there is a save the tax event at Lowes. Is the GSW unit still the best bet? My rental is actually a GSW and I already have the white pipes, so I assume the install should be straight forward.

Lowes GSW
Yes that sb about $300ish for installation, plus their delivery charge for tank.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2998 posts
1138 upvotes
I'm renovating my house and the plan was to return the rental. My issue is that because the house is almost a new build and all new venting is needed the instal estimates that I have received for a 60 gallon tank from both Home Depot and lowes are around $2600. The rental buy out is another $900.

I'm thinking it might make sense to rent. To continue renting I have to sign a new contract because enercare says that since my tank was removed for the Reno it is now deemed defective and can't be used again. They want a new contract with a new tank.

Opinions?
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12242 posts
12105 upvotes
Oakville
dgnr8 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 11:27 am
I'm renovating my house and the plan was to return the rental. My issue is that because the house is almost a new build and all new venting is needed the instal estimates that I have received for a 60 gallon tank from both Home Depot and lowes are around $2600. The rental buy out is another $900.

I'm thinking it might make sense to rent. To continue renting I have to sign a new contract because enercare says that since my tank was removed for the Reno it is now deemed defective and can't be used again. They want a new contract with a new tank.

Opinions?
NEVER rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2998 posts
1138 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 11:37 am
NEVER rent.
That's generally the right answer, but here's my math.

$2600 new instal
$900 buyout
$3500 total

If I rent at $30 per month it would take 10 years for the rental to become more expensive. I think my situation could be the exception to the never rent rule.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12242 posts
12105 upvotes
Oakville
dgnr8 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 11:47 am
That's generally the right answer, but here's my math.

$2600 new instal
$900 buyout
$3500 total

If I rent at $30 per month it would take 10 years for the rental to become more expensive. I think my situation could be the exception to the never rent rule.
First off, that new install price seems pretty steep. You may want to get a quote from a non-big box store. If you do go with them, sign up with a good sale, or using their credit card for 10-20% off.
Secondly, do you know that the new contract will be $30? A new contract would likely be closer to $60/month.
Finally, you still come ahead after 10 years. Most tanks last 15 years plus.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2998 posts
1138 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 12:13 pm
First off, that new install price seems pretty steep. You may want to get a quote from a non-big box store. If you do go with them, sign up with a good sale, or using their credit card for 10-20% off.
Secondly, do you know that the new contract will be $30? A new contract would likely be closer to $60/month.
Finally, you still come ahead after 10 years. Most tanks last 15 years plus.
New contract is $32 a month. I've had 3 independent places plus Lowes and Home Depot come out. No one wants to run new venting and gas they all just want to instal the tank without extra work. This has been infuriating.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb

Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12242 posts
12105 upvotes
Oakville
dgnr8 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 12:44 pm
New contract is $32 a month. I've had 3 independent places plus Lowes and Home Depot come out. No one wants to run new venting and gas they all just want to instal the tank without extra work. This has been infuriating.
Does the rental company also know you need new piping?
Also, don't forget that your rental rates will increase every year.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1005 posts
504 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 1:04 pm
Does the rental company also know you need new piping?
Also, don't forget that your rental rates will increase every year.
rental will charge for new piping too, not free...
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2340 posts
641 upvotes
Nunavut
dgnr8 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 11:27 am

Opinions?
Why replace it, why not just buy it out and use it until she's dead?
Dec 26, 2007
172 posts
31 upvotes
North York
hovercraft wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:23 am
I have been lazy and have not yet replaced my rental Enercare water heater. However, it is acting up and I just confirmed with Enercare that I don't need to pay anything to return the existing (old) rental unit. I notice there is a save the tax event at Lowes. Is the GSW unit still the best bet? My rental is actually a GSW and I already have the white pipes, so I assume the install should be straight forward.
Ended up with the AO Smith 50G (was told it replaces the GSW - AO Smith bought GSW). Reg price 949 (no tax). Labour was quoted as $370 for a basic install (to be confirmed when they do it). $1367 total.

Bought on Sunday - still waiting for the heater to arrive at the store so they can schedule the install.
Penalty Box
Mar 10, 2018
2898 posts
224 upvotes
hovercraft wrote:
Nov 20th, 2019 1:40 pm
Ended up with the AO Smith 50G (was told it replaces the GSW - AO Smith bought GSW). Reg price 949 (no tax). Labour was quoted as $370 for a basic install (to be confirmed when they do it). $1367 total.

Bought on Sunday - still waiting for the heater to arrive at the store so they can schedule the install.
didn't know this. Thanks
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1835 posts
880 upvotes
This is what I got quoted by reliance for my buyout next june. What do you all think?

$125 – full removal
$65 – pickup of unit already disconnected
$0 – dropped off to any of our locations.

The buyout should be $810 + HST at the end of the term.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1810 posts
501 upvotes
Woodbridge
You just won the lotto million. Have Reliance remove it and charge you 125 $. Do not opt to drop it yourself as I have seen instance where homeowner had to fight and prove that water heater was infact dropped.
If I was in your shoes, I will pay 125 $ and since these charges are in records, they cant deny of water heater removal and pickup by THEIR TECHNICIAN.
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 26th, 2019 3:21 pm
This is what I got quoted by reliance for my buyout next june. What do you all think?

$125 – full removal
$65 – pickup of unit already disconnected
$0 – dropped off to any of our locations.

The buyout should be $810 + HST at the end of the term.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
1835 posts
880 upvotes
newlyborn wrote:
Nov 26th, 2019 3:28 pm
You just won the lotto million. Have Reliance remove it and charge you 125 $. Do not opt to drop it yourself as I have seen instance where homeowner had to fight and prove that water heater was infact dropped.
If I was in your shoes, I will pay 125 $ and since these charges are in records, they cant deny of water heater removal and pickup by THEIR TECHNICIAN.
ok so basically when june comes, tell them to come disconnect it and pick it up, pay $125 and then $810 buyout. then what should I get? Also, how hard would it be to schedule it so that we arent without hot water for days?

Also, my current contract is $34.65. so if I factor about $1300-$1400 for a new tank plus the $125 and $810 I am looking at around $2500 up front. $2500/$35 = 71.5/12 = 5.95. So after 6 years I will be coming out ahead it seem... How long do these new tanks last?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1810 posts
501 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you are buying out than there is no removal fees ( sorry if I am reading your post incorrectly). If you have an option to get out of contract without any penalty and by just paying 125 $ removal fees, than its well worth it.
New tank including installation cost should be justified within 5 years.
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Nov 26th, 2019 3:34 pm
ok so basically when june comes, tell them to come disconnect it and pick it up, pay $125 and then $810 buyout. then what should I get? Also, how hard would it be to schedule it so that we arent without hot water for days?

Also, my current contract is $34.65. so if I factor about $1300-$1400 for a new tank plus the $125 and $810 I am looking at around $2500 up front. $2500/$35 = 71.5/12 = 5.95. So after 6 years I will be coming out ahead it seem... How long do these new tanks last?
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.