Home & Garden

The Great Water Heater Rental Scam

May 15, 2010
355 posts
331 upvotes
Ajax
After reading this thread, i called reliance and told them i wanted to buy out. They quoted $1400 + HST. Its a GSW 50Gallon power vented installed in 2013. I told them to go ahead then they offered 3 months free rent which i denied
Dec 12, 2007
978 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote: Reliance got spanked for making the termination process too difficult (amongst other reasons). If you got a slip from the staff stating the make, model and serial number you should be OK.
Reliance was running a scammy action a few years ago, where they'd conveniently lose their paperwork, then claim you never returned the tank, then bill you for the cost of a new replacement tank.
Yes I made sure to retain a copy of the paper work that they gave me which included the serial number with the agent's signature that took in the return. He also checked "no damages" so i guess that means the tank was returned with no issues.

Thanks MrFrugal1 and everyone for this thread, it has educated me so much on HWT rentals and one of the main reasons why I decided to return this piece of crap !
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2008
1113 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
Hello all,

I am looking to get out of a rental (Reliance) which I had taken over from the previous owners. Reliance is asking for $700+. Tank is 11 years old.

Lowes has their NO tax event currently. I am looking to purchase their GSW 50-gallon tank.

What is the best way I should be going about this with minimal dent in my wallet?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
sidde0 wrote: Hello all,

I am looking to get out of a rental (Reliance) which I had taken over from the previous owners. Reliance is asking for $700+. Tank is 11 years old.

Lowes has their NO tax event currently. I am looking to purchase their GSW 50-gallon tank.

What is the best way I should be going about this with minimal dent in my wallet?
Call reliance, pay them $700. Use the tank until its broken. Then buy one from somewhere.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2008
1113 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Call reliance, pay them $700. Use the tank until its broken. Then buy one from somewhere.
So once I pay them the $700, the tank becomes mine?

What if I want to cancel the contract and return the tank to Reliance?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
sidde0 wrote: So once I pay them the $700, the tank becomes mine?

After you pay, the tank is yours.

Reliance does not let you severe the contract, the only way to do so is to buy out the tank. Yes this stuff is shady as hell but that's allowed apparently.
Mar 12, 2018
3 posts
Here is the true cost, in my case of Reliance Home Comfort. I am such a fool that I've accepted, but the builder Richcraft had force me into taking up this sleazy business. I am getting charged 6 times compared to getting the same water heater from Lowes or Home Reliance.

Yearly (no tx) Total paid (no tx) Total paid(with tx)
2015 - $ 41.09 $ 493.08 $ 493.08 $ 557.18
2016 3.5 $ 42.53 $ 510.34 $ 1,003.42 $ 1,133.86
2017 3.5 $ 44.02 $ 528.20 $ 1,531.62 $ 1,730.73
2018 3.5 $ 45.56 $ 546.69 $ 2,078.30 $ 2,348.48
2019 3.5 $ 47.15 $ 565.82 $ 2,644.12 $ 2,987.86
2020 3.5 $ 48.80 $ 585.62 $ 3,229.75 $ 3,649.62
2021 3.5 $ 50.51 $ 606.12 $ 3,835.87 $ 4,334.53
2022 3.5 $ 52.28 $ 627.34 $ 4,463.21 $ 5,043.42
Dec 12, 2007
978 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: After you pay, the tank is yours.

Reliance does not let you severe the contract, the only way to do so is to buy out the tank. Yes this stuff is shady as hell but that's allowed apparently.
Call them to see if u can drop off their tank back to the depot for $0, instead of buy out
Dec 12, 2007
978 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto

Call them to see if u can have someone disconnect and drop off the tank back to reliance. I did that and it was $0, then buy your own tank.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2046 posts
1661 upvotes
Hey guys stupid question.
Moved in 2013 . It was national tank rental then reliance took over . 2016 tank went kapoot. Does my contract date changes to 2016 because of me getting new tank ? Now I want to get out of This renting. What do I do ?
1- buyout is over $3k . I know I can get a tank 11-1200 all in.
2-can I just call in and cancel , meaning drop the tank to one of their locations , or am I stuck in a contract?
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes

Check the contract, there should be another way out
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
nousername wrote: Hey guys stupid question.
Moved in 2013 . It was national tank rental then reliance took over . 2016 tank went kapoot. Does my contract date changes to 2016 because of me getting new tank ? Now I want to get out of This renting. What do I do ?
1- buyout is over $3k . I know I can get a tank 11-1200 all in.
2-can I just call in and cancel , meaning drop the tank to one of their locations , or am I stuck in a contract?
EDIT - Please also clarify your post as to when this tank was installed. Your post seems to imply the present tank was installed in 2016 and is now kaput. Is that correct?
Which province? Who says it is kaput? They have the opportunity to make repairs to their own property without cancelling any agreement, other than pursuant to the provisions of an existing contract. If they deem it cannot be repaired then they should be removing or replacing at their cost. If they want to replace and charge more or alter the existing agreement then they really have to enter a new agreement. Have they even delivered the new contract?

Clarification - Has the tank been installed as yet? If it has not been installed then they have to do a new contract. Have you signed the required paperwork authorizing them to install within the 10 day cooling off period (Ontario Legislation). NOTE - The cooling off period has gone back to 10 days as the renter has to call and invite them to their residence.

Cancellation: cooling-off period

43 (1) A consumer may, without any reason, cancel a direct agreement at any time from the date of entering into the agreement until 10 days after the consumer has received the written copy of the agreement. 2017, c. 5, Sched. 2, s. 15.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2046 posts
1661 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote: EDIT - Please also clarify your post as to when this tank was installed. Your post seems to imply the present tank was installed in 2016 and is now kaput. Is that correct?
Which province? Who says it is kaput? They have the opportunity to make repairs to their own property without cancelling any agreement, other than pursuant to the provisions of an existing contract. If they deem it cannot be repaired then they should be removing or replacing at their cost. If they want to replace and charge more or alter the existing agreement then they really have to enter a new agreement. Have they even delivered the new contract?

Clarification - Has the tank been installed as yet? If it has not been installed then they have to do a new contract. Have you signed the required paperwork authorizing them to install within the 10 day cooling off period (Ontario Legislation). NOTE - The cooling off period has gone back to 10 days as the renter has to call and invite them to their residence.

Cancellation: cooling-off period

43 (1) A consumer may, without any reason, cancel a direct agreement at any time from the date of entering into the agreement until 10 days after the consumer has received the written copy of the agreement. 2017, c. 5, Sched. 2, s. 15.
the tank that came with the house went kaput. and they installed a new one in 2016.the tech just gave me a copy of the work order. can i get out of this mess now by just returning the tank? or my only options are wait out the contract duration or buy it out. thanks
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2354 posts
571 upvotes
phoenix_bladen wrote: Call them to see if u can drop off their tank back to the depot for $0, instead of buy out
Hah, what do you think this is, Home Depot? You have no choice but to buy it out at 3 times the retail value. That's how they get you. Were you not following this thread at all?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1906 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
guys,

How should I get rid of the bloody reliance?!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
nousername wrote: the tank that came with the house went kaput. and they installed a new one in 2016.the tech just gave me a copy of the work order. can i get out of this mess now by just returning the tank? or my only options are wait out the contract duration or buy it out. thanks
I think you signed a new contract for the tank in 2016, just liked when you buy a new car you get a new loan or lease.
Dec 12, 2007
978 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
baymoe wrote: Hah, what do you think this is, Home Depot? You have no choice but to buy it out at 3 times the retail value. That's how they get you. Were you not following this thread at all?
He mentions his tank is already 11 years old so it’s obviously not newly installed. Since it’s that old it is probably not in a contract that he can’t get out and is month to month. There should be other options, such as a drop off back to reliance for $0, if done by yourself.

In fact I just did that and have posted above.

Were you not following this thread smart guy?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
nousername wrote: the tank that came with the house went kaput. and they installed a new one in 2016.the tech just gave me a copy of the work order. can i get out of this mess now by just returning the tank? or my only options are wait out the contract duration or buy it out. thanks
You have to be guided by the terms of the contract.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
phoenix_bladen wrote: Call them to see if u can have someone disconnect and drop off the tank back to reliance. I did that and it was $0, then buy your own tank.
+1. With older rentals, you can typically just return the tank for nothing or have someone to pick it up for $90. I think my tank was around the 12 or 14 year old mark when I had it picked up for $90. I couldn't be bothered to drop it off, as the nearest location was a bit aways. Gas and time would have been more than pickup fee.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Dec 12, 2007
978 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
So I just got my latest Enbridge bill and it still seems that Reliance is charging me monthly.

Enbridge and both Reliance told me that it takes awhile for their system to update and may sometimes take up to 2 billing periods.

Has this happened to anyone before? And if so, do they credit that amount back to you? To your Enbridge account?

I still haven't paid yet, so can I refuse to pay it on the spot?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)