The Great Water Heater Rental Scam

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 8:30 pm
Oct 2, 2005
927 posts
70 upvotes
tebore wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:57 am
Honestly the Kenmore looks like a rebranded GSW. The specs even match the one sold at lowes.

However your old tank is a power vent. Then Kenmore is not. You need a powervent.
Good to know. Thanks for the information. I'll keep looking.
Oct 2, 2005
927 posts
70 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:29 am
Are you specifically asking about the Sears (Kenmore) or the rental (GSW). In both the makes are very clear and the information on the GSW is online and easily found as the model number is noted in your photos.
The model is shown but there is absolutely no information on this model on google. All I can find are part lists that say this part is used on this model but no specs on the actual model.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GSW+B57 ... e&ie=UTF-8
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1032 posts
460 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
This turned up on Google for me, first page, 2nd line of search:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... oNxmzkuutw
“When you marry the right woman, you are ‘complete.’ If you marry the wrong woman, you are ‘finished.’ And, if the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are ‘completely finished.'"
May 5, 2007
591 posts
68 upvotes
North York
Any thouths on this $649 Kenmore ?

Does it come with warranty ? What about installation ?

I need a conventional so I might jump on this one
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7607 posts
2520 upvotes
ON
okhmily wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 8:36 am
Hello
My water tank was rent by previous owner 6 years ago before I moved in from enercare. Days ago I called to have it downgrade from 60 Gallen to 50 or 40, this morning the tech came in and told me there was a contract for ten years, they can not have it replaced for free.
Is there any thing wrong? What should I do to now?

Thanks
If you did not tell them "No, don't want that contract, don't install today" and they replaced it, you're out of luck for 10 years, or buy it out immediately.
Aug 6, 2014
702 posts
161 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
fisher44 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 10:44 am
hi!

read this thread, decided to buy-out my water heater rented through enercare. i pay $20/month for an old tank (13 years) that appears to be in pretty good shape. a couple of tips for anyone cancelling with enercare:

1 - i was immediately offered a $50 credit if i stayed with them (i declined).
2 - i was told that each year, on the date of installation, the price of buy-out decreases. i asked when my heater was installed (june), and was able to get a buy-out price today and an estimated buy-out price for june. it was an $80 difference, so it seems to be cheaper to wait until june and cancel then.
3 - my contract includes a yearly maintenance appointment that i wasn't aware of. one of their technicians is supposed to drop by next week to check the tank out. hopefully there isn't a note on my file telling this guy to totally **** up my water heater since i'm planning on cancelling in june! but i don't see why you wouldn't have a licensed technician swing by and inspect the water heater you're planning to buy. the lady was very clear there is $0 charge associated with this, and i turned on my call recorder app so i have it on file.
4 - i called back an hour later, spoke to a different person, said i was thinking about cancelling my rental, got the $50 credit applied. so basically i'm paying about $10 between now and june, get my tank inspected to make sure it doesn't suck (will report back and let you know if the technician was shitty or not), and then buy out in june for about $210 with taxes (would have been about $290 if i bought out today).

if anyone can improve on the process, let us know!
just a follow up, bought out my tank, no issues with the $50 credit.

also learned that enercare has a buyout table tucked away on their website somewhere, so i asked the rep to email me the link:

https://www.enercare.ca/sites/default/f ... hedule.pdf

i'm not quite sure how accurate this is, my tank is 12-13 years old and it was $229 to buyout (including tax).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
3611 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
I just purchased a property and took over the previous owner's rental. Reliance just quoted me $250 +tax to close the account plus an additional $200 +tax to pick up a tankless water heater that's about 9 years old. Granted, I could probably just put the tankless heater in a sedan, it's quite small. Their buyout price to me was almost $2700.

Does that cancellation/pickup price seem normal? The OP is from 2012 ($105 +tax) and I haven't scrolled through all the pages. I'm still thinking about canceling and buying my own water heater.
Jun 5, 2016
29 posts
2 upvotes
Hello All, need your advice please. I last year purchased a property. Last week, I see some small drips from the water tank, so I called enercare and they sent in the technician to fix the problem. Technician immediately advised to replace the tank since it is 15 year old. Apparently, the previous owner was the first owner and paid rental for 14+ years and I after I bought the property last year continued to pay the rental. I am not sure of the following, can some expert advise please?
1. If the contract was 15 years and if 15 years were already over, did I pay the rental for no reason. Is it possible for me to claim it back? I think I can't since its a rental (not like a mobile tab?, but I am not sure)
2. If I am paying the rental, shouldn't the technician try and fix the water tank versus indicating it needs a replacement. (I see the reason now since they can hook me into a new contract).
3. Given that my current buyout option is 100 based on enercare website (for a PV50 tank), while it has a little drip which will give in sooner or later, what best can I do in the current case? Can I just ask to fix the tank since I am still paying rental?
4. If my current tank is PV50 and if I intend to continue with same size, what other new tanks can I opt for in the current scenario? I believe, enercare will still charge me to take the tank away? Is it possible to go for tankless from say home depot with installation?

Any advise is greatly appreaciated.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5386 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
dealwiththedeal wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 10:22 am
Hello All, need your advice please. I last year purchased a property. Last week, I see some small drips from the water tank, so I called enercare and they sent in the technician to fix the problem. Technician immediately advised to replace the tank since it is 15 year old. Apparently, the previous owner was the first owner and paid rental for 14+ years and I after I bought the property last year continued to pay the rental. I am not sure of the following, can some expert advise please?
1. If the contract was 15 years and if 15 years were already over, did I pay the rental for no reason. Is it possible for me to claim it back? I think I can't since its a rental (not like a mobile tab?, but I am not sure)
2. If I am paying the rental, shouldn't the technician try and fix the water tank versus indicating it needs a replacement. (I see the reason now since they can hook me into a new contract).
3. Given that my current buyout option is 100 based on enercare website (for a PV50 tank), while it has a little drip which will give in sooner or later, what best can I do in the current case? Can I just ask to fix the tank since I am still paying rental?
4. If my current tank is PV50 and if I intend to continue with same size, what other new tanks can I opt for in the current scenario? I believe, enercare will still charge me to take the tank away? Is it possible to go for tankless from say home depot with installation?

Any advise is greatly appreaciated.
Terminate contract, buy your own.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jun 5, 2016
29 posts
2 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 10:30 am
Terminate contract, buy your own.
Thanks for a quick reply. So, if I buy my own, do I just go to stores like home depot/ rona and pay for the installation? Any recommendation for PV50 size water heater? Given that my previous owner rented it before 2010, enercare can pick it themselves from the curbside for free (or 75$). If not, does the store like home depot will take the existing tank away.

Also, is tankless a better option and will that involve substantially more installation costs?

Thanks for your inputs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5386 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Home Depot won't take the tank away and neither will the contractors unless you own it. As of right now it is still the property of Enercare.

Tank vs. Tankless will all depend on your water usage imo. Because the cost of the tankless is so much greater than a traditional tank, it would all depend on how much and how often you are using hot water.

Jun 5, 2016
29 posts
2 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 11:13 am
Home Depot won't take the tank away and neither will the contractors unless you own it. As of right now it is still the property of Enercare.

Tank vs. Tankless will all depend on your water usage imo. Because the cost of the tankless is so much greater than a traditional tank, it would all depend on how much and how often you are using hot water.
Thanks! So, does the below sound good.
1. After getting different quotes, get home depot (or the best option) install the tank,
2. Request enercare to pick it from curbside? (for a fee I presume)

Sorry, am not familiar having only bought the house first time recently but need to sort this out ASAP since the tank is dripping a bit and if not done soon there will be a puddle of water in my unfinished basement.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5386 posts
1407 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Another thing you need to look into is whether you have ABS or PVC piping. Not sure what province you're in but you may also have to tack on the cost of replacing the piping as well.