Investing

Great-West Life Co. (TSE:GWO) in a tailspin - down 3.1% in first hour of trading

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2012 1:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2567 posts
624 upvotes

Great-West Life Co. (TSE:GWO) in a tailspin - down 3.1% in first hour of trading

...and counting

**UPDATES
10:24 AM - (-3.36%)
10:39 AM - (-3.64%)
03:15 PM - (-3.68%)
CLOSE - (-3.86%)

Wow, this can't all be stemming from the predator VP...what else is up?

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012 ... 03796.html
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
I hate insurance companies. it is just so difficult to put fair market valuation on its assets and debt. not transparent at all. market is also rigged. I'd never touch it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5248 posts
489 upvotes
Markham
Well, if you're looking for news, Europe and Asian markets blew up overnite...most stocks/indexes are down 2-5% (except for buyouts like Nexen, and recapitalizations like YLO)
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19043 posts
1501 upvotes
ccyk wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 10:24 am
I hate insurance companies. it is just so difficult to put fair market valuation on its assets and debt. not transparent at all. market is also rigged. I'd never touch it.
While I don't fully disagree - there are some good buys in insurance right now, due to them being oversold (due to thinking like yours). SLF I think is very oversold and I have been buying a bunch of it. Wait until people get a whiff of interest rates rising and these things are going to take off like rockets, and you have a nice solid dividend while you wait for that.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2012
1251 posts
282 upvotes
Woodbridge
I doubt its directly from that, SLF is down about 4.66% probably going to grab some shares now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5248 posts
489 upvotes
Markham
brunes wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 11:56 am
While I don't fully disagree - there are some good buys in insurance right now, due to them being oversold (due to thinking like yours). SLF I think is very oversold and I have been buying a bunch of it. Wait until people get a whiff of interest rates rising and these things are going to take off like rockets, and you have a nice solid dividend while you wait for that.
I agree -- but SLF went all the way down to $18 last Dec -- I think i'll wait a little longer before buying in again considering that long-term rates are even lower now than before
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
2503 posts
1295 upvotes
Montreal
charliebrown wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 11:02 am
Well, if you're looking for news, Europe and Asian markets blew up overnite...most stocks/indexes are down 2-5% (except for buyouts like Nexen, and recapitalizations like YLO)
Seriously, no idea why GWO was singled out by OP. It's down less than SLF or MFC. Perhaps the OP only pays attention to stocks he owns?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3085 posts
249 upvotes
Vancouver
brunes wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 11:56 am
no, i wont touch it high or low. I just can't tell how many toxic assets and debts insurance co hold.

like whats the % of european debt it hold? it is going to be worthless in a few months.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2567 posts
624 upvotes
S5 wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2012 12:45 pm
Seriously, no idea why GWO was singled out by OP. It's down less than SLF or MFC. Perhaps the OP only pays attention to stocks he owns?
It was just a noticeable stock in ones I have been following. I was planning on buying GWO, so I have been watching it for the past few months.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2111 upvotes
This has been common lately for the insurance companies to swing like this. I've seen MFC swing around 5% a day and I don't really watch the stock.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2567 posts
624 upvotes
UPDATE*

down another 0.52% to 21.04

(yes I know SLF is also down 1.4% today)