Sports & Recreation

The greatest comeback in sports?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2017 9:04 pm
Tags:

Poll: What is the greatest comeback in sports?

• Total votes: 33. You have voted on this poll.
2004 World Series

18%
2016 NBA finals

27%
2017 Super Bowl

42%
Others (specify)

12%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1921 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto

The greatest comeback in sports?

Which one of these do you consider to be the greatest come-back in sports?

-Boston Red Sox coming back from 3-0 in 2004 to win their first World Series in 86 years

-Cleveland Cavaliers beating the Golden State Warriors in the 2016 NBA finals, after being down 3-1 in the series and having to come from behind in game 7 as well.

-The historic Super Bowl we witnessed last week, where I won't even have to go into details.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
16 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1921 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I forgot to mention the 2005 Champions League final where Liverpool was down
0-3 and scored 3 goals in the second half and force ET and then won it in SO. One of the greatest comeback stories in soccer.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Jan 30, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
Liverpool down 3 - 0 and won the Champions League title.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16118 posts
810 upvotes
Niagara Falls
No love for the Leafs? Down 3 - 0 in the Stanley Cup finals to Detroit and managed to win the cup.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9501 posts
730 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 10:32 pm
Which one of these do you consider to be the greatest come-back in sports?

-Boston Red Sox coming back from 3-0 in 2004 to win their first World Series in 86 years

-Cleveland Cavaliers beating the Golden State Warriors in the 2016 NBA finals, after being down 3-1 in the series and having to come from behind in game 7 as well.

-The historic Super Bowl we witnessed last week, where I won't even have to go into details.
Boston came back from 0-3 against the Yankees in the ALCS, not the World series (which was a sweep).

My vote goes to the 2017 Super Bowl. The reason being, the odds of a comeback was roughly <1% for most of the game. It pretty much stayed that way until the 4th quarter. In comparison a 0-3 comeback when the teams are considered equal strength is 6.25%. A team that is a typical underdog (let's say 40% chance of winning a game), the chances of coming back from 0-3 is 2.6%.
Jun 29, 2010
680 posts
141 upvotes
The Comeback was an NFL playoff game between the Buffalo Bills and the Houston Oilers played on January 3, 1993. It featured the Bills recovering from a 32-point deficit to win in overtime, 41–38, and as of February 2017 it remains the largest comeback in NFL history.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1029 posts
143 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 12:49 pm
No love for the Leafs? Down 3 - 0 in the Stanley Cup finals to Detroit and managed to win the cup.
This gets my vote.
I'd also say 2012 Bruins coming back from 4-1 in game 7 to win in OT against the Leafs. But that would be the WORST comback for a Leafs fan like me. :(
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9240 posts
429 upvotes
Markham
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2017 4:06 pm
This gets my vote.
I'd also say 2012 Bruins coming back from 4-1 in game 7 to win in OT against the Leafs. But that would be the WORST comback for a Leafs fan like me. :(
It's actually 2013, but yes.... Neutral Face
:lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35622 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto
I say... 2016 NBA finals. Basketball/NBA especially... Has always been a sport where you pretty much know who the winner is. The nature of the game doesn't allow for many Cinderella stories or amazing "wtf... I didn't see that coming" type of wins.
I think they won it all because of the determination and sheer will of LeBron James... coupled with his unusual athleticism. Where as... Golden state had a pretty good team. But their #1 was a person of sheer will and determination. Curry is an amazing player. His athleticism is good for what he is.. a professional athlete. But I see him more of a person who just has an insane amount of skill and finesse.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
6650 posts
668 upvotes
Toronto
Meh, definitely NOT this yr's SB. It's more a massive self-implosion instead of a 'comeback'. Brain fart after brain fart, the Falcons gifted even the chance for a coming back. What a joke. They should perform seppuku, dunno how they can take waking up every morning.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
1921 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
There you have if, we may have witnessed the greatest comeback, at least in soccer!

What a comeback by Barcelona!!!! Needing to win by 5 goals at least, they win 6-1 , with 3 goals coming after 90th minute or so...
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3295 posts
263 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 5:12 pm
There you have if, we may have witnessed the greatest comeback, at least in soccer!

What a comeback by Barcelona!!!! Needing to win by 5 goals at least, they win 6-1 , with 3 goals coming after 90th minute or so...
Now my vote for greatest come back. What a game. Not a supporter of Barca (wanted PSG to go through), but have to give it to them.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel