• Dec 12th, 2018 2:19 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16650 posts
1533 upvotes
Space for rent

Greatest time to be alive or not?

Without a doubt there are so much upside to living in 2018 be it equal rights for many of our societies once chastised members or the freely exchanged information via via the internet. But when I look back at the period from the 70s to the 80s it seems life was so much slower and muted in a sense. Even colours back the were muted like the clothing people wore or the things we buy were just in general less frenetic. Even the famous rainbow colours of Benneton weren't as in your face. At some point advertiser's caught wind of it and decided to throw the same coat of paint on anything and everything bombarding us with a relentless cacophony of sales pitch one after another.

Case in point the think different motif of apple on the 80s much like the colours of Benneton while the colours were prominent they were deliberately and direct. Now apples ads (and the rest of the industry followed suit) all have this monosyllabic theme of white or black or singular colour but at the same time it has a much more profound impact it feels like you're being punched in the gut with their pitch.

I would argue the most outlandish thing in the 80s when you went downtown was the bright neon colours of Sam the record man and now all the store fronts have all the same offensive blaring gaze every where you go. Its a visual pollution on the umpteenth degree.

Listen to this song by Bob James and even the cover art is so playful and subtle.

He also wrote the theme to taxi the tv show.
96 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9915 posts
1821 upvotes
Montréal
Not sure if I got your whole message, but I think the 70s and 80s were a great time to be alive. None of this selfie/smartphone nonsense and ppl were more personable. Society is generally deteriorating in terms of getting more and more impersonal. There's a myriad of tech advances but no one has time to take advantage and ironically have less free time.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10713 posts
313 upvotes
It's a good question.

Materially, it's the best time to be alive.

Socially, perhaps not. Unless you're transgender, gay, or an ambitious career woman.

The veneer has been amped up but the core is rotting.

Anyone who answers the question needs to check the natural bias to think of the time when you were 12 years old as being the best time have been alive.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1056 posts
577 upvotes
Hamilton
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 2:10 am

I would argue the most outlandish thing in the 80s when you went downtown was the bright neon colours of Sam the record man and now all the store fronts have all the same offensive blaring gaze every where you go. Its a visual pollution on the umpteenth degree.
The problem with nostalgia was is people tend to focus on only the good memories.

For every 'Sam The Record Man' there was a 'Sam The Chinese Food Man', with the pervs strolling in and out of the adult bookstore underneath it, the pedo's trying to pick up teenage boys in that arcade next to it, and the drug addicts and alcoholics living in the Rio Theatre's 4 movies for $2 all day marathons. And that was a decent part of the strip!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
3907 posts
3819 upvotes
It's definitely the greatest time, objectively.

Steven Pinker covers improvements across a host of measures of quality of life over decades. Meanwhile, the greatest political system ever devised, capitalism, has pulled 800 million Chinese out of abject poverty since 1990. There is no aid program or well-meaning song artist that comes close to that.

Source: https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 027_1.html

I'm looking forward to the next 25 years.

God bless.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Dec 1st, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1887 posts
633 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Well it must beat living in the early 1940s when I'm sure everyone in the western world was casting a terrified eye towards Germany and Japan.
Other than the Snowflakes we don't have much to complain about today.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5108 posts
509 upvotes
Scarborough
People who're retired now or retiring had probably, the best era.
They have had great friendships, great careers with good benefits, etc and were able to make some property/RE in many countries of the world.

Now society has more rights, but more mental issues, fighting, other issues, etc and more materialism. Going downhill quick.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
652 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 2:48 am
Not sure if I got your whole message, but I think the 70s and 80s were a great time to be alive. None of this selfie/smartphone nonsense and ppl were more personable. Society is generally deteriorating in terms of getting more and more impersonal. There's a myriad of tech advances but no one has time to take advantage and ironically have less free time.
70s-80s were terrible. Travel especially overseas was reserved for special occasions, air conditioning was rarity, standard of living was low, nothing to do (one TV, a land line and no internet)

What was good about it other than uneducated in Western nations didn't have to compete with others in the world and we were still just getting by from exploiting remnants of colonialism?

The educated and able workers weren't rewarded like they are today
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2346 posts
482 upvotes
Ottawa
mbg wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 7:13 am
It's a good question.

Materially, it's the best time to be alive.

Socially, perhaps not. Unless you're transgender, gay, or an ambitious career woman.

The veneer has been amped up but the core is rotting.

Anyone who answers the question needs to check the natural bias to think of the time when you were 12 years old as being the best time have been alive.
Yep I agree with the 12 yr old part. Well said about the veneer and core.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12959 posts
3239 upvotes
Here 'n There
60's to the early 90's were the best. People got together, talked on the phone, were more social and less self-centered, the oceans were less polluted, there were more animals, more birds, etc. Now most have ADD, never enjoy the moment, when they get together spend all their time on their smartphone talking to people who aren't present, they have to take pictures and record every second of their lives and can't even enjoy a live concert without holding their hands in the air recording it, have zero patience and the list goes on and on.

Don't get me wrong. This is a great time to be alive too, but a lot of the glories of the old days are far gone. I blame most of the way people act today that is not good behaviour on the smartphone, not the internet itself.

So, socially it's the worst time to be alive, materialistically it is the best. I think the former matters more.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
20295 posts
2232 upvotes
Montreal
eonibm wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 2:11 pm
60's to the early 90's were the best. People got together, talked on the phone, were more social and less self-centered, the oceans were less polluted, there were more animals, more birds, etc. Now most have ADD, never enjoy the moment, when they get together spend all their time on their smartphone talking to people who aren't present, they have to take pictures and record every second of their lives and can't even enjoy a live concert without holding their hands in the air recording it, have zero patience and the list goes on and on.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1056 posts
577 upvotes
Hamilton
Gboard2 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 1:56 pm
70s-80s were terrible. Travel especially overseas was reserved for special occasions, air conditioning was rarity, standard of living was low, nothing to do (one TV, a land line and no internet)
I think you underestimate how bad it was. I recall many days sitting all evening doing nothing but fanning myself with a newspaper and staring at the wallpaper (if we as educated and able employees were able to afford such a luxury).
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
652 upvotes
shwab wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 4:28 pm
I think you underestimate how bad it was. I recall many days sitting all evening doing nothing but fanning myself with a newspaper and staring at the wallpaper (if we as educated and able employees were able to afford such a luxury).
Exactly and haven't even mentioned how terrible medical science and health care was . Easily treatable disease and illness today was a life sentence of suffering or early death . Any type of cancer was basically bye bye and so many people died in car crashes etc

Newspaper was definitely a luxury but basically only source of entertainment and news with the monthly magazine. One TV with maybe 6 channels

Communication was terrible and limited to snail mail or landline that had poor quality for longer distance

Lots of people don't know or forgot how terrible it was for standard of living for basics like healthcare and communication to of course the luxuries of borderless instant communication and other luxuries we view as basic essentials today

Glad you remember how terrible it was

Remember oversea trips on planes with communal overhead the and headsets that were just tubes? Book a hotel in Vegas? Find a Vegas phone book or hotel directory and start calling! Overseas? Need a travel agent with time difference and language
Last edited by Gboard2 on Dec 1st, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.