• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 1:25 pm
Tags:
Nov 22, 2017
6 posts
5 upvotes
Really comprehensive tips. The only thing I'd disagree with is the one tip from the co-worker. I spent a week in Santorini last summer and the ATV rental made it so much better. There's not many cars on the road, and I did not see any accidents at all. The open-air feeling of cruising the ATV around the island and exploring all the towns and scenery is one of my best memories of the place. They have different sizes and engines if you don't want a fast one.

I wish I could remember the restaurants we ate at. We didn't check tripadvisor or look at reviews, just walked around until we found a place or one that looked busy with locals. Lots of gyros as snacks too.
Aug 9, 2014
55 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I wouldn't suggest ATV rentals personally. We just went to Santorini and saw a brutal accident where the the guy driving ended up on the ground bleeding all over the place. Ambulance was called but we didn't see any ambulance come in for the half an hour we were there. It's a small island so I am not sure how reliable/ quick their medical services usually are.

We personally rented a car which we found was good enough!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
6480 posts
3605 upvotes
Santorini is a tough island to navigate at points... it's very high up and there can be very narrow roads... if your not experienced ATV driver, I wouldnt even bother.

Some of the other Greek islands like Naxos are much easier to navigate by ATV, I would recommend it in those places.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2545 posts
1194 upvotes
Toronto
Bamboocha wrote:
May 11th, 2018 9:14 am
Really comprehensive tips. The only thing I'd disagree with is the one tip from the co-worker. I spent a week in Santorini last summer and the ATV rental made it so much better. There's not many cars on the road, and I did not see any accidents at all. The open-air feeling of cruising the ATV around the island and exploring all the towns and scenery is one of my best memories of the place. They have different sizes and engines if you don't want a fast one.

I wish I could remember the restaurants we ate at. We didn't check tripadvisor or look at reviews, just walked around until we found a place or one that looked busy with locals. Lots of gyros as snacks too.
jacksonheights wrote:
May 12th, 2018 8:52 am
I wouldn't suggest ATV rentals personally. We just went to Santorini and saw a brutal accident where the the guy driving ended up on the ground bleeding all over the place. Ambulance was called but we didn't see any ambulance come in for the half an hour we were there. It's a small island so I am not sure how reliable/ quick their medical services usually are.

We personally rented a car which we found was good enough!
Sanyo wrote:
May 13th, 2018 10:39 am
Santorini is a tough island to navigate at points... it's very high up and there can be very narrow roads... if your not experienced ATV driver, I wouldnt even bother.

Some of the other Greek islands like Naxos are much easier to navigate by ATV, I would recommend it in those places.
Good tips, getting ready for our trip in about 2 weeks. We were considering getting a buggy as my wife isn't too experienced with an ATV:

https://santorini-rentme.com/santorini-buggy-rental/

A car rental seems to be way more economical however:

https://santorinidave.com/rent-car-santorini
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2545 posts
1194 upvotes
Toronto
Just came back from Greece. We loved the entire trip and our favourite island was Naxos surprisingly. Santorini was definitely nice, but we regret staying in a cheaper hotel which probably didn't make it as fun.

We rented a car from Santorini. Ended up booking the rental online from Rental Cars from a Hertz location in Fira. We were a bit sketched out with the reviews but had no issues at all with them. Had the car for 4 days and explored the entire island. Parking wasn't too much of an issue but navigating the narrow roads were a bit nerve wracking at times.

We loved Naxos because it was less busy and our AirBnB was right on the beach front. We took the local bus to the popular beaches and were only 6 minute walk from downtown Naxos where all the restaurants and bars were.

We weren't fond of Athens as much. Nice to see the history but other than that we didn't care for it.

I made a montage of our trip: