Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
428 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto

Greek Islands

I have never been to Greece but would like to do a tour of the islands, and Greece, where is the best place to look for info about this.
10 replies
Jul 5, 2004
23401 posts
2950 upvotes
The lonely planet forum is a good option. There's been plenty of advice posted here about Greece.

How long are you going for and when? What are you looking to see and do?
Aug 5, 2008
722 posts
188 upvotes
There are too many islands to do in one go.

Pick based on your current priorities (partying, sightseeing, beaches, family fun, etc) and look through lonely planet overviews to find which islands match your goals. Depending on how much time you have, set aside a few days at least for smaller islands and more for larger islands.

I have been to two:

Crete - you can spend a solid 10 days (or more) going from end to end and splitting time between beaches and sightseeing. Nicer people, more laid back. Probably can work for sightseeing and family vacation, but didn't see a lot of partying.

Santorini - a tourist trap, but should be on the bucket list. Parts of it are (were) party central, but there are wilder islands from what I hear.

Haven't been to any others. But again, start with what your goals are and choose the islands based on that.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1661 posts
786 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I would take a look at Air Canada Vacations and Transat Holidays. If you go on their website the offerings will be there for their summer 2019 Europe brochure or go into a TA and pick up a physical brochure.

They offer multi island packages both “on your own” meaning they offer flights , ferries/transportation between hotels/islands and you are free to do what you want when you are there without worrying about logistics.

They do also offer full guided and semi guided tours too if that’s your thing.

I went on one a few years ago: Toronto- Athens > Santorini (3 nights) > Mykonos (3 nights) and then Crete (4 nights). I had the option of 1 night in Athens or an extra night in Crete. I personally do not like Athens so I opted for that.

We are in EBB season so you can pre book the entire trip incl flights with a small deposit with final balance generally due 45-60 days from departure.

Hope that helps :)
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
1842 posts
383 upvotes
THORNHILL
Which greek islands there are 1000. You have the ionian and the cyclades.
Are you planning to spend some time at each island then move on to the next. Or you can do a cruise that stops to multiple islands (sometimes 2 islands a day).
If you've never been before, I'd recommend doing the super touristy first, Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes.
Dec 8, 2008
129 posts
62 upvotes
Winnipeg
i have been to a number of the Greek islands and one that really surprised me was Naxos.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
428 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone, decided to go on a cruise instead.
Mar 8, 2004
149 posts
27 upvotes
Kanata
whoam wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:36 pm
A cruise is a great way to see the Greek Islands....yes less time at each one but a good way especially if you won't be going back.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9505 posts
2009 upvotes
Markham
whoam wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 2:36 pm
I went to The Mediterranean cruise in 2017. We cruise from Venice (Italy), Dubronik (Crotia), Mykonos and Santroni and Olympia.
All ports are great except the last one, haha.
Santroini was beautiful except it can get packed if there are few cruisechip staying there. The lineup for the lift to get up and down is huge, wait time can be 45 min to 1hr to go back down to the port from the lift. Unless you decide to walk down from the mountain.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)