Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Green Ontario Fund

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 2:52 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2863 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Green Ontario Fund
New provincial gov't rebate announced today for insulation, heat pumps, etc. The insulation rebates ($1-$2/sqft) look pretty generous, especially on a cold day like this :-) . Also a nice website with an at-a-glance view listing multiple programs from gas & electricity providers. Click on My Home and fill in your postal code.
4119 replies
Sep 26, 2012
534 posts
297 upvotes
Thornhill
I am looking to install some insulation...but according to the rule, to receive the rebate i'll have to use a GreenOn approved contractor to do it for me. I rather do it myself to save the money.

"Who Can Participate
Using participating contractors, Ontario residents who live in a detached home, townhome or semi can take part in GreenON Rebates. If you rent, you must have the written permission of the landlord."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
superduder wrote: I am looking to install some insulation...but according to the rule, to receive the rebate i'll have to use a GreenOn approved contractor to do it for me. I rather do it myself to save the money.

"Who Can Participate
Using participating contractors, Ontario residents who live in a detached home, townhome or semi can take part in GreenON Rebates. If you rent, you must have the written permission of the landlord."
Then the whole scheme wouldn't work. The contractor pays into the program to be registered as an approved contractor, the Ontario participants in this program then pay the approved contractor for installation. The fund then either pays out most or all of the money back to participants from the contractor's slush fund.

Whatever you do, just don't tell the contractor that you'll be applying for the govt. rebate while you're in the quoting process.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10263 posts
9264 upvotes
Kitchener
Looks like there's $100 off of smart thermostats as well, not bad if you didn't get in on the GreenOn program previously.
Dec 18, 2008
86 posts
38 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Whatever you do, just don't tell the contractor that you'll be applying for the govt. rebate while you're in the quoting process.
Why is that? Will they raise prices?
Jan 9, 2010
146 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
superduder wrote: I am looking to install some insulation...but according to the rule, to receive the rebate i'll have to use a GreenOn approved contractor to do it for me. I rather do it myself to save the money.

"Who Can Participate

Thanks for sharing!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
Does it say anywhere when the program ends? I couldn't find anything.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 25, 2012
145 posts
38 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
does anybody know when the program start date is? I just hired people and is having my windows replace and installed today =(
Jun 23, 2016
411 posts
759 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
IntrepidRT wrote: Looks like there's $100 off of smart thermostats as well, not bad if you didn't get in on the GreenOn program previously.
Speaking of which, has anybody had any response to this beyond the initial email?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1719 posts
1082 upvotes
Hamilton
Insulation esp for attic worth every penny. I did with my own pocket money 2 years ago, my energy bill is significantly reduced and winters and summers are much comfortable. I think new building codes require R50 and I did R60+. It was our first, my buddy and I, with a six pack, done in about 5 hrs *. Although I paid all by myself and wish there was a similar program back then, I'm glad gov of Ontario started a program for home insulation. For out of province RFDers, DIY mostly cost half of certified contractors and I strongly recommend insulating your attic if it's below R50 (most houses are).

Now planning to replace my toilets with high efficient models to save water and hope there will be gov, city or utility refunds by then. I did one, very happy and have 3 more to go.

Again, whether there is a rebate/refund, etc, or not I'd strongly recommend attic insulation (which benefit the most but if you have the budget, do others, e.g. walls, windows, etc as well)

* (I completed installing rafter vents a week earlier which was a tough job and also stapled attic insulation depth measurement papers on studs every few feet -you may get them free of charge from hardware stores displayed next to your favorite insulation material- to measure the deepness and to check even distribution. Papers show the deepness level in inches and corresponding R value which helps to eliminate guess work. In most materials R60 is equal to 22" of depth. Attic needs a lot of air ventilation and when you blow insulation materials they may block soffit vents. Keep in mind attic temp may reach up to 50+ Celsius when sun rise even in the morning so I'd suggest to wait for a cloudy/rainy day for the final job. Some contractors may ignore installing rafter vents for a quick job/cost cutting, don't!)
Last edited by HamsiBrain on Dec 13th, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10263 posts
9264 upvotes
Kitchener
noxlen wrote: Speaking of which, has anybody had any response to this beyond the initial email?
Nope.......still patiently waiting. I'll probably be moved into my new home before they show up :P
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
teelin wrote: does anybody know when the program start date is? I just hired people and is having my windows replace and installed today =(
Hasn't it started already? To qualify you need an energy audit performed before and after the work.
HamsiBrain wrote: Insulation esp for attic worth every penny. I did with my own pocket money 2 years ago, my energy bill is significantly reduced and winters and summers are much comfortable. I think new codes require R50 and I did R60. It was our first, my buddy and I, with a six pack, done in about 5 hrs. Although I paid all by myself and wish there was a similar program back then, I'm glad gov of Ontario started a program for house insulation. For out of province RFDers, DIY mostly cost half of certified contractors and I strongly recommend insulating your attic if it's below R50 (most houses are).

Now planning to replace my toilets with high high efficient models to save water and wish there will be gov, city or utility refunds by then. I did one, very happy and have 3 more to replace.

Again, whether there is a rebate/refund, etc, or not I'd strongly recommend attic insulation (which benefit the more but if you have the budget, do others, e.g. walls, windows, etc as well)
+1. I upgraded my furnace and did insulation on my old home the last time we had good rebates.

I also did my own attic, which was pretty easy. Hardest part is installing the baffles. Got cellulose from Lowes and they lend the blower for free. I blew in well over R60 because my small attic couldn't take as much as they were rebating.
Dec 29, 2009
630 posts
233 upvotes
noxlen wrote: Speaking of which, has anybody had any response to this beyond the initial email?
A co-worker who lives around the 401 in Toronto had his installed last week. My Mom in Oakville just got notification to book her appointment. I live downtown Toronto, was the first of the three of us to sign up, and I haven't heard anything.
Banned
Jun 25, 2017
9 posts
15 upvotes
Anyone with half a brain can install insulation. Dont bother going threw this program your gonna end up charged a stupid amount from the contractor you would save more money.buying it yourself and doing it
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
iherald wrote: A co-worker who lives around the 401 in Toronto had his installed last week. My Mom in Oakville just got notification to book her appointment. I live downtown Toronto, was the first of the three of us to sign up, and I haven't heard anything.
I think you guys are posting in the wrong thread. This is for new rebates, not the free tstat offer from September.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
Eteeqo12 wrote: Anyone with half a brain can install insulation. Dont bother going threw this program your gonna end up charged a stupid amount from the contractor you would save more money.buying it yourself and doing it
It's not rocket science, but it isn't always easy. I'm considering having someone do my new house because there's so little space in my attic with a low slope roof. Do I really want to crawl around in old, blown in fibreglass to install all of the baffles? No, I'd rather have some kid do it. If I do decide not to use a contractor, I'll definitely hire some general helper to do that crap work. I'll just buy the stuff and blow it in.

That said there are reasonable contractors and it might make sense to use them with the rebates. Though with all of the rebates they're gonna be busy and unwilling to make deals.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
sonkiomi wrote: Why is that? Will they raise prices?
Not necessarily but there's no sense in letting them know you're going to get some money back from the fund as they might just decide to add 10%
Feb 7, 2012
762 posts
1513 upvotes
Toronto
Yes i know 3 people who have had their houses assessed already. i haven't gotten anything yet tho even tho i live in the same neighborhood as one of them and i signed up the same day
Aug 20, 2015
517 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
PotatoHo wrote: Do any of these work with condos?
The $100 off a smart thermostat works this time with condos.

"Who Can Participate
If you live in a home, condominium or apartment unit in Ontario, you could be eligible as long as your heating and cooling system is compatible. If you rent, you must receive consent from your landlord to participate."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)