Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Green Ontario Fund

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 2:52 pm
Sep 9, 2007
116 posts
27 upvotes
Here are some of my quotes for 9 openings, all casements, one opening is a 32 inch circular window. 167 sq ft in total area.

Comfort Windows & Doors VinylPro (Triple Pane) $11,836.86
Northern Comfort Windows & Doors RevoCell (Double Pane) $11,995.00
Total Home Windows VinylPro (Triple Pane) $11,409.00
George Kent VinylBilt (Triple Pane) $13,108.00
Encore Windows VWD (Triple Pane) $14,091.10
Brock Windows Northstar (Triple Pane) Have to visit showroom

Julian from Comfort Homes seemed to be the most straightforward and upfront about the installation and what to expect
The RevoCell from Northern Comfort seems interesting but not sure how much of it is their marketing since I cant find many reviews or info about it from objective sources
The guy from Total Home Windows rubbed me the wrong way, seemed like a straight up salesman and tried to offer me the "supervisor discount" if I signed on the spot
George Kent guy was nice and upfront but their price seems on the more expensive side
Already had the Brock guy come by, waiting to go in for the quote, interestingly he told me they would guarantee in writing that my shutters and blinds would fit on the new windows or they would pay for new shutters, no other company was willing to make this guarantee.
All of these guys use interior wood trim that comes primed white, but you need to paint yourself.
Before Brock came by, we were planning to go with Comfort Windows, but depending on the price from Brock, we may end up going with them solely because of the shutter guarantee as we have a lot of interior mount shutters that would be expensive to re-do.

What do you guys think?
Dec 30, 2008
175 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga
Kinda off topic, but I bought a house that has new windows installed (2015). They were probably the cheapest double pane windows you could get (they have one of those cranks to open the window and a lock on one side). Either way it seems like a ton of cold air comes through them even though there doesn't seem to be any physical opening. Is that just because they are cheap and have bad insulating properties?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18704 posts
5738 upvotes
fayya wrote: Thanks @Jerico, appreciate your feedback.

Can anyone recommend window companies for Markham area? I've read about Brook but probably on the expensive side, I also see encore, homestars, David Snell, George Kent, Platinum being mentioned here. Do any of these companies offer high end 2 pane that meet the rebate criteria? I assume most will be able to offer 3 pane, but I will probably opt for the 2 pane for most of my windows as it's more economical and less heavy. But would want to have 3 pane for the street facing windows. Thanks in advance.

Also, I am trying to familiarize myself with window replacement, and I found this from google: http://www.windowreplacementic.com/arti ... ntractors/
Anyone have any lesson learned or experiences that they can share? Would love not to being like an idiot during the quote. Thanks again!
Ambia
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
dmanwin wrote: Kinda off topic, but I bought a house that has new windows installed (2015). They were probably the cheapest double pane windows you could get (they have one of those cranks to open the window and a lock on one side). Either way it seems like a ton of cold air comes through them even though there doesn't seem to be any physical opening. Is that just because they are cheap and have bad insulating properties?
Sounds like they might have been put in cheaply.
Mar 22, 2006
218 posts
132 upvotes
phoenix_bladen wrote: can anyone recommend me a good attic insulation person in Markham area?

Also, if you don't mind what was your price?

Thanks
Refer to my detailed post in which I break down why EcoComfort vs Logik.
Recommend Eco Comfort.
1.2/sq foot.
Dec 30, 2008
175 posts
236 upvotes
Mississauga
bablu786 wrote: Refer to my detailed post in which I break down why EcoComfort vs Logik.
Recommend Eco Comfort.
1.2/sq foot.
I got quoted 1.35sq/ft by them so I think it depends on the house.
Jun 3, 2012
68 posts
35 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Custom Window Designs in Mississauga?
Nov 14, 2005
161 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Jiangman wrote: Here are some of my quotes for 9 openings, all casements, one opening is a 32 inch circular window. 167 sq ft in total area.

Julian from Comfort Homes seemed to be the most straightforward and upfront about the installation and what to expect
The RevoCell from Northern Comfort seems interesting but not sure how much of it is their marketing since I cant find many reviews or info about it from objective sources
The guy from Total Home Windows rubbed me the wrong way, seemed like a straight up salesman and tried to offer me the "supervisor discount" if I signed on the spot
George Kent guy was nice and upfront but their price seems on the more expensive side
Already had the Brock guy come by, waiting to go in for the quote, interestingly he told me they would guarantee in writing that my shutters and blinds would fit on the new windows or they would pay for new shutters, no other company was willing to make this guarantee.
All of these guys use interior wood trim that comes primed white, but you need to paint yourself.
Before Brock came by, we were planning to go with Comfort Windows, but depending on the price from Brock, we may end up going with them solely because of the shutter guarantee as we have a lot of interior mount shutters that would be expensive to re-do.

What do you guys think?
I would suggest you call Julian and maybe he can do what he can about the shutters. I called him about my new custom window treatments. He's trying to accommodate
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
tempchum wrote: The quote did not show the size of windows but I did my own measurement for buying inside mount blinds and 10 windows add up to around 130 sq ft
Average price per sq ft around $80.8
The manufacturer is KV, triple panel, double low E,argon gas filled.

ps : Unfortunately, I was told that the current inside mount blinds may not fit the new windows.
Jiangman wrote: Here are some of my quotes for 9 openings, all casements, one opening is a 32 inch circular window. 167 sq ft in total area.

What do you guys think?
Late to the party and a little confused...are the prices per square foot being quoted before taxes and rebates or including them???
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Mar 17, 2012
246 posts
109 upvotes
OTTAWA
which thermostat to go with ecobee or nest or Honeywell... whats popular so far... i am leaning towards ecobee as nest looks weird
Sep 9, 2007
116 posts
27 upvotes
bvit6667 wrote: Late to the party and a little confused...are the prices per square foot being quoted before taxes and rebates or including them???
Includes taxes, but before rebate.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Jiangman wrote: Includes taxes, but before rebate.
Thanks...that helps. The prices I'm being quoted work out to approx. $111/ sq. ft.!!
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
dmanwin wrote: Kinda off topic, but I bought a house that has new windows installed (2015). They were probably the cheapest double pane windows you could get (they have one of those cranks to open the window and a lock on one side). Either way it seems like a ton of cold air comes through them even though there doesn't seem to be any physical opening. Is that just because they are cheap and have bad insulating properties?
Pick one drafty window and remove the trim. You should see window frame and insulation, if any.
My bet - they didnt spray foam it
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
In Fed We Trust - Make ES Limit Down Great Again!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
Tiger123 wrote: Hi, Does anyone know if Low e windows make the room darker?

I'm getting windows quotes for triple pane double low e windows and concerned that it will make the room very dark (we like a lot of natural light).

Is anyone getting quotes on triple pane single low e windows (technically would be brighter?)

Anyone got their windows installed and noticed a difference?

Thanks
Windows have Visual Transmittance property
Single pane of glass - 0.8 VT
Regular double pane glass is around 0.8 x 0.8 = 0.64 VT
LoE 366 coating can pass around 0.35 VT

The more film you have, the darker the window. See the VT
We replaced 0.64 (minus some value for having grills) with triple glazed double LoE with VT 0.54 and hardly anybody noticed.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
Apr 27, 2011
528 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
plugdat wrote: is it possible to double dip with this?
https://www.uniongas.com/homereno
yellowtag4me wrote: The company that I used for the home energy audit made it clear that while you can't double dip, you can apply the two programs concurrently.
Example - 10 windows under the GreenOn for $5k, and the remainder under the $80/window program.
Anyone can confirm this? Below is from the Eligibilty Requirements of GreenON rebate program. Seems it's not allowed.

(v) you must have not received, are not receiving and have not applied for or otherwise intend to receive, any financial incentives funded by energy ratepayers or taxpayers of the Province of Ontario or Canada (whether via the IESO, your local electricity or gas distributor or any other party) with respect to the Qualifying GreenON Measure(s) to be purchased and installed, including in respect of any such measures that may be funded through the Home Reno Rebate (HRR) Program and Home Energy Conservation (HEC) Program delivered by Ontario’s natural gas utility companies;
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
HowEver wrote: What's your experience with pet mesh on windows? Too dark? Overkill? Necessary anyways?
Its darker. Depends if your dog or cat messes up the screen every year. Personally I dont care for it but my cousin needed it for his puppy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
imnovayu wrote: Anyone can confirm this? Below is from the Eligibilty Requirements of GreenON rebate program. Seems it's not allowed.

(v) you must have not received, are not receiving and have not applied for or otherwise intend to receive, any financial incentives funded by energy ratepayers or taxpayers of the Province of Ontario or Canada (whether via the IESO, your local electricity or gas distributor or any other party) with respect to the Qualifying GreenON Measure(s) to be purchased and installed, including in respect of any such measures that may be funded through the Home Reno Rebate (HRR) Program and Home Energy Conservation (HEC) Program delivered by Ontario’s natural gas utility companies;
I’d honestly call GreenOn.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2007
5507 posts
1956 upvotes
for Attic insulation, who is preferred vendor in Vaughan/Woodbridge area?
Got a quote from GNI, $1200 for 1000 sq ft, from 30 to 60, 4 rafters and hatch insulation

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)