Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Green Ontario Fund

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 2:52 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
Anybody else getting charged for baffles?

Was quoted around $250 for baffles due to the number of baffles needed (estimated around 80) + block insulation.

This was through Four Seasons.

Attic is around 1500-1600 sqft.

Edit: Going to give EcoComfort a call, Logik as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
mcg wrote: Anybody else getting charged for baffles?

Was quoted around $250 for baffles due to the number of baffles needed (estimated around 80) + block insulation.

This was through Four Seasons.

Attic is around 1500-1600 sqft.

Edit: Going to give EcoComfort a call, Logik as well.
Depends, how much did they charge for the insulation? I had 80 baffles included in my $1.2 sq.ft quote from EcoComfort. Others were about the same or charged $100.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
engineered wrote: Depends, how much did they charge for the insulation? I had 80 baffles included in my $1.2 sq.ft quote from EcoComfort. Others were about the same or charged $100.
Thanks for the quick reply. They quoted me $1.1/sqft. An additional $100 for air sealing.

So $250 + $1650 (1500sqft estimate) + $100, then add tax for the job.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
Got a quote for replacement of a few windows. Wonder if too late to catch the Greenon rebate if we sign the contract now...

Also for windows on south side of the house, spacer in between glass curled up and these are what we intend to replace. Did not seem to notice obvious issue with them but guess it's about time to replace ? About 17 years old window... Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2587 posts
703 upvotes
karlsberg wrote: Looks like I jumped the gun with the energy audit, seems like going that route doesn't offer as big an incentive. Ive read we can't combine the 2 rebate programs, so I guess I'll just have to figure out what works out cheaper for me.......
My furnance went down about a month ago and I signed up for the energy audit to get some rebates, looks like should have not done so. Just out of curiosity could someone tell me a typical cost for average sized double paned slider glass vinyl window?
Nov 14, 2005
161 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
ciao wrote: My furnance went down about a month ago and I signed up for the energy audit to get some rebates, looks like should have not done so. Just out of curiosity could someone tell me a typical cost for average sized double paned slider glass vinyl window?
i think this is fine.... you just can't double dip the same installation (windows), the energy audit path is still the best for furnace rebates., while windows is best through greenOn
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
plugdat wrote: i think this is fine.... you just can't double dip the same installation (windows), the energy audit path is still the best for furnace rebates., while windows is best through greenOn
+1
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
1197 posts
633 upvotes
ontario
With the audit though, you have to complete at least 2 upgrades, I was thinking furnace and attic insulation. Definitely will not get as much back, the audit only gives about 1600 correct me if I'm wrong please), less when they deduct the cost of the pre and post inspections.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2587 posts
703 upvotes
karlsberg wrote: With the audit though, you have to complete at least 2 upgrades, I was thinking furnace and attic insulation. Definitely will not get as much back, the audit only gives about 1600 correct me if I'm wrong please), less when they deduct the cost of the pre and post inspections.
That sounds about right. To qualify for the green on window rebate the install has to be brick to brick. I have Al capping and vinyl shutters so I think I need brick to brick to save my shutters. I don't think a retrofit will save my shutters.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
ciao wrote: My furnance went down about a month ago and I signed up for the energy audit to get some rebates, looks like should have not done so. Just out of curiosity could someone tell me a typical cost for average sized double paned slider glass vinyl window?
You can go to the web site of Panes (panes.ca) and use their estimator tool to figure out what a window would cost with the features you are interested in and the size you need. They are in Mississauga (not sure where you are located) but it would give you a price for the window - not the installation price which is significant
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Just FYI for a bonus to getting windows done brick to brick. I found out that 2 of them had rotten frames from water leaks and subsequent ants (which were gone). Nice to know I now have all new everything.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
466 upvotes
Mississauga
I had an insulation company come to my place for estimation, they gave me a contract that said 1073.50 is the cost and I will get back 1120. so it was no brainer for me to go ahead with it and got attic insulation done. Now when the time came to claim my money, they are saying I need to pay them $1.01 per square foot as this is the requirement from greenon. so now they want me to pay extra 204.76 on top of 1073.50 and I will loose 147.06 in tax.
should I be paying them more? they are telling me if I don't pay them more then they will not submit my work hence I wont get anything back. This is not a miss on my part, should they not honor their contract? I don't care if I don't get back anything over the price I paid but I should get back everything that I pay as this was a contract.
what do you guys think?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4118 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
djjungly wrote: I had an insulation company come to my place for estimation, they gave me a contract that said 1073.50 is the cost and I will get back 1120. so it was no brainer for me to go ahead with it and got attic insulation done. Now when the time came to claim my money, they are saying I need to pay them $1.01 per square foot as this is the requirement from greenon. so now they want me to pay extra 204.76 on top of 1073.50 and I will loose 147.06 in tax.
should I be paying them more? they are telling me if I don't pay them more then they will not submit my work hence I wont get anything back. This is not a miss on my part, should they not honor their contract? I don't care if I don't get back anything over the price I paid but I should get back everything that I pay as this was a contract.
what do you guys think?
The problem was they misquoted you. They should eat the extra charge as you shouldn't be responsible for them screwing it up.
Jun 2, 2016
175 posts
60 upvotes
What is the name of the company? Greenon says contractors have to charge you minimum $1/sq ft before taxes. The person who gave you the quote was misinformed.
Apr 18, 2018
17 posts
17 upvotes
djjungly wrote: I had an insulation company come to my place for estimation, they gave me a contract that said 1073.50 is the cost and I will get back 1120. so it was no brainer for me to go ahead with it and got attic insulation done. Now when the time came to claim my money, they are saying I need to pay them $1.01 per square foot as this is the requirement from greenon. so now they want me to pay extra 204.76 on top of 1073.50 and I will loose 147.06 in tax.
what do you guys think?
Assuming that your attic is 1,120 sq ft and the rate is $1.01/ sq ft, the absolute minimum that you have to pay in order to qualify is $1,131.20 +HST ($1,278.26 total). You will then qualify for the rebate of $1,120. I would suggest paying the difference of $204.76. If you don't, there is no way thatt GreenOn will approve the claim and you'll be out the full amount that you have currently paid - $1,073.50.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
what do you guys think?
The gov't won't give you back more than you paid. If you want the rebate pay up. You really don't have a choice if you want them to submit it. They have you by the balls.
Nov 6, 2003
368 posts
165 upvotes
Oakville, ON
My attic insulation appointment with Logik is coming up in 10 days and I have a question about the baffles. Logik said they would be installing baffles in each rafter, but I just noticed that I have around 15 "wooden baffles" that were probably installed when the house was built 30 years ago. For every other rafter there is just a piece of yellow batt insulation stuffed in at the end.

The wooden baffles are just nailed to the roof joists with 2 nails and I'm wondering if I should remove them so Logik can place the pink baffles in those 15 rafters instead?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
466 upvotes
Mississauga
Super_Chicken wrote: The problem was they misquoted you. They should eat the extra charge as you shouldn't be responsible for them screwing it up.
that is exactly what I am thinking too. But like someone said, they got me by balls. I should revealed the name of the company so they get bad reputation. I am actually upset.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
466 upvotes
Mississauga
Gattie wrote: What is the name of the company? Greenon says contractors have to charge you minimum $1/sq ft before taxes. The person who gave you the quote was misinformed.
there was not much information available in the beginning so I was able to get it for cheaper. I am still trying to convince them to eat their lost and get me my money back hence I am not revealing the name of the company. Its well known company on RFD.
Jun 2, 2016
175 posts
60 upvotes
djjungly wrote: there was not much information available in the beginning so I was able to get it for cheaper. I am still trying to convince them to eat their lost and get me my money back hence I am not revealing the name of the company. Its well known company on RFD.
The problem is Greenon will reject the rebate if they submit the invoice. You just have to pay at least $1. there is no way to get around that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)