Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Green Ontario Fund

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 2:52 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: I told people here that Ford will scrap this as soon as he wins.

A couple of members here said he wont do it even after I explained that there is no way to pay for this because he is against Carbon Tax.

Now here we are. Sucks for people stuck in limbo.
You still upset at the Liberal loss?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
I hope the windows salespeople made hay while the sun was shining -- I imagine things will slow down quite a bit in the fall, at least for residential window sales.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2737 posts
363 upvotes
Was pretty pissed off when this news hit this afternoon as I bought a Nest a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to install it and register it for the credit. And since I live in a condo, I was relying on the $100 credit, as the Enbridge one doesn't apply to condos.

Now that this program is gone, I'm thinking of a workaround to try and get the credit from Enbridge.

So the question is, is the address the only thing that they look at to get the credit? For example, I'd install it in the condo, register the unit with an address of a family member who has a detached house, and then they would get a cheque in the mail in theory. Or is there some sort of other confirmation that the Nest sends to the company?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
3044 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote: I told people here that Ford will scrap this as soon as he wins.

A couple of members here said he wont do it even after I explained that there is no way to pay for this because he is against Carbon Tax.

We ALL knew he's going to scrap it, but no one anticipated he is so fast at it and so efficient - we figured it would take months after being sworn in, not days even before swearing in!
May 1, 2007
418 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
mwahahaa wrote: I hope the windows salespeople made hay while the sun was shining -- I imagine things will slow down quite a bit in the fall, at least for residential window sales.
Window prices should normalize after this.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto

There is no carbon tax in Ontario. There never has been. This is the part that Doug doesn't understand.
Glazers Out!
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2835 posts
2774 upvotes
Ottawa
roofgoof wrote: I was quoted around the same for batt R20 and additional $1000 for spray foam. It means I will be paying $1200 or $2300 out of my pocket. I am planning to get my basement finished and my current basement has R20 on top of the majority of the exterior wall. At few spots especially garage walls it's R12. Towards the bottom where concrete is (2-3 ft), it's only covered at few spots with R12. Rest are openly exposed.

The sales rep said you'll have to remove all existing insulation or we'll charge your per sq. ft for removal of existing insulation as it has to be R20 from top to bottom. Considering my situation, do you think I should spend $1200 out of pocket for the upgrade?

I'll post better pictures when I get home

Pic 1 : https://imgur.com/a/yR54ZVg

Pic 2: https://imgur.com/lW04Soe
I'm not really qualified to comment on what the right choice is, maybe someone else can say. However, if you haven't signed anything with the contractor yet, then I think you'll have to count on paying the full price, as you won't qualify for the rebates anymore.
I am a current Public Mobile customer and Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
3044 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote: There is no carbon tax in Ontario. There never has been. This is the part that Doug doesn't understand.
Cap and Trade is just simply a form of carbon tax - companies that pay for these quotas will simply pass on the costs to the consumers. Cap and Trade also added a direct tax onto gasoline and natural gas heating.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
mwahahaa wrote: I hope the windows salespeople made hay while the sun was shining -- I imagine things will slow down quite a bit in the fall, at least for residential window sales.
I seriously doubt it actually. Fall is always stupid no matter what.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
rjp123 wrote: Window prices should normalize after this.
They were never abnormal. You wont spring for GreenOn glass on your new window orders in the Fall is all.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
rjp123 wrote: Window prices should normalize after this.
People won't be buying super high efficiency windows like they are now, that's for sure.
They will pay less for lesser windows, and probably spend about the same amount overall after removing the rebate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3914 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have been procrastinating on the attic insulation rebate. Now that Ford has stated the Green Ontario Fund is scrapped, what can I do? Can I still get it if done by Aug 31?
Dec 3, 2010
701 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Not sure what part of this you think is a scam, pretty straight forward. Carbon taxes went to subsidize energy retrofits. A lot of contractors that probably voted for Drug Ford made some nice money on this program. Lots of us (and poorer people) got nearly free installation installed. Anyone with a GTA house is hardly poor anyways, unless they're morons too far in debt.
Don't get me wrong I took advantage of this program as well. Boosted insulation from r35 to r60 for couple hundred bucks after rebate of course. Noticed absolutely zero difference while contractor made some juicy profit thanks to the rebate program. The money could be used much more effectively by limiting the price that contractor could charge and limiting the offer to houses with poor insulation. Ask contractors, most of people who took advantage of this program are not poor and chances are their house doesn't need to be upgraded.

I stand by my opinion that this program is nothing but a scam and vote buying tactic used by the liberals. Good riddance.
Dec 3, 2010
701 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
mwahahaa wrote: People won't be buying super high efficiency windows like they are now, that's for sure.
They will pay less for lesser windows, and probably spend about the same amount overall after removing the rebate.
My feeling as well. This program gives incentive to unnecessary upgrades. The performance difference between lesser windows and the green on windows are minimal, while the price difference is huge.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
muffin_man wrote: My feeling as well. This program gives incentive to unnecessary upgrades. The performance difference between lesser windows and the green on windows are minimal, while the price difference is huge.
This I agree with. The window u values were set too low. If they had been just slightly higher it would have been a sweet spot for value/money instead of 10% more efficient for significantly more cost. However, the GreenOn u values will be code in 2020 so fairly soon you will be stuck with buying the higher priced windows anyways. I expect late 2019 to be very very busy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
muffin_man wrote: Don't get me wrong I took advantage of this program as well. Boosted insulation from r35 to r60 for couple hundred bucks after rebate of course. Noticed absolutely zero difference while contractor made some juicy profit thanks to the rebate program. The money could be used much more effectively by limiting the price that contractor could charge and limiting the offer to houses with poor insulation. Ask contractors, most of people who took advantage of this program are not poor and chances are their house doesn't need to be upgraded.

I stand by my opinion that this program is nothing but a scam and vote buying tactic used by the liberals. Good riddance.
lol.. that "vote buying tactic" sure worked well. lmfao.

I doubt you are taking proper measurements to notice the difference. Most have less insulation than you started with. In my last house I had R20 and went to R60 and noticed a huge difference. Anyways, you wasted a few hundred bucks if you think it's worthless, so good job on that. You got exactly what you paid for so not really a scam.

As for regulating the price, well that's anti competitive and anti capitalist, and economics says that would reduce supply of labour so people who wanted it done wouldn't be able to find anyone.
Really poor people don't often own homes, so of course they couldn't take advantage. The target was middle class home owners like most people on RFD.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Wow... forum moved to expired. Ouch.
Dec 3, 2010
701 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: lol.. that "vote buying tactic" sure worked well. lmfao.

I doubt you are taking proper measurements to notice the difference. Most have less insulation than you started with. In my last house I had R20 and went to R60 and noticed a huge difference. Anyways, you wasted a few hundred bucks if you think it's worthless, so good job on that. You got exactly what you paid for so not really a scam.

As for regulating the price, well that's anti competitive and anti capitalist, and economics says that would reduce supply of labour so people who wanted it done wouldn't be able to find anyone.
Really poor people don't often own homes, so of course they couldn't take advantage. The target was middle class home owners like most people on RFD.
Selectively choose contractors to be on the approved list sure promotes competition and fair market. Poor people do rent home and pay utilities. Again they should be limiting the offer to houses with low insulation to begin with. So glad this incredibly stupid and wasteful program is gone.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
penguindude wrote: We ALL knew he's going to scrap it, but no one anticipated he is so fast at it and so efficient - we figured it would take months after being sworn in, not days even before swearing in!
He said he will scrap it on day one. He even signed a declaration that says he will get rid of cap and trade. He called these rebates a scam(240 pages on RFD and no one has reported it as a scam. A bunch of members got their rebates).

So he was pretty serious about it. I warned people here but there were some members saying he wouldnt do it.

Just hope that Ford has enough sense to honor some of the rebates that were being processed but this is pretty much a done deal.

The sad thing about all this. Carbon Tax is coming and Ford cant do anything about it. GreenON should be well funded up until the next Federal election.

He just choose not to.