• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2018 11:12 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9547 posts
966 upvotes
Lee C wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:31 pm
Still waiting for my call from Northern applied on line on Monday the 8th,how long before they called you?Thanks
i applied yesterday and called me just now...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
May 9, 2006
492 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
foodcourt wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:50 pm
Northernl called me very next day. I signed up on 2nd Jan but gave me last week Feb appt.
is NOrthernl same as GNI? are they doing it at $1.0 sq/ft? does it include sealing for the door to attic I think they call it hatch?
Jan 2, 2009
300 posts
59 upvotes
Heard back from a local HVAC dealer. Seems rebates for the heat pump are only for those on electric heat. If you are on natural gas, you don't qualify. Seems they jumped the gun on announcing the rebates without knowing all the details.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11720 posts
1714 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone know who I can call for an insulation quote in North York? Specifically for the basement and random walls in my home. Waited 2 days from two different companies and no call back or e-mail despite the sales rep taking all of my information. The two companies were Great Northern Insulation and Brand Insulation.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
1204 posts
1323 upvotes
Lee C wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:31 pm
Still waiting for my call from Northern applied on line on Monday the 8th,how long before they called you?Thanks
call them.
When you upvote my posts, this is what happens:
My wife loves me more😂, my car goes faster😎, my house becomes bigger😐, My boss gives me a raise😁.

Fact check, none of the above is valid.
Apr 18, 2017
224 posts
79 upvotes
Elendil wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:04 pm
Both people I had in said the same thing. No concrete encased windows. Just standard brick window openings.
I just had a guy quote me for some basement windows. He said basement windows often don't qualify for two reasons.
1. Windows need to be a minimum of 12sq feet.
2. Space must be finished.

He didn't know anything about limitations on concrete encased window frames.

There are obviously interpretation/communication problems between the contractors and greenon
This was Peak installations, through HD.
22k for 10 windows. -25% -5k rebate comes to 11k.
Seemed high to me.
Nov 22, 2012
270 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Dominion guy quoted me $1.2/sqft for going from R22 (8'') to R50 (18''). So it seems they have indeed jacked up the price.

For those who have already worked with them, how was the experience with this company? There are not a lot of recent reviews on their HomeStar page. If the reviews are generally positive, I might just bite the bullet, but in this case....

Also has anyone used the 10% coupon from their homepage?

http://dominioninsulation.ca/uploads/3/ ... oupon1.jpg

s0n1c wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 3:09 pm
I also got quoted 1.1$ + tax by Dominion Insulation.
Nov 22, 2006
399 posts
226 upvotes
foodcourt wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:50 pm
Northernl called me very next day. I signed up on 2nd Jan but gave me last week Feb appt.
Just curious - when you say appt, do you mean the first visit for the quote/estimate?
Mar 8, 2015
33 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton, ON
tarheel_06 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:45 pm
Just curious - when you say appt, do you mean the first visit for the quote/estimate?
Yes. Last week of Feb appt for estimate only. But I have another contractor coming this Tuesday though.
Apr 18, 2017
224 posts
79 upvotes
Any recommendations for window installers east of the GTA?
Only one shows up on the greenon website, a plumbing and HVAC company.
Even home depot didn't show up on a local search.
Aug 10, 2006
737 posts
259 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:22 am
Yes, just had the GNI guy here to quote. Very knowledgeable and friendly guy.
Built in garage ceiling would be covered, but I was more interested insulating the garage itself, which isn't covered. They would spray foam my one exterior garage wall and I would DIY my door. Haven't receive the quote yet.
does a built in garage also mean attached to the house? curious about the cost for roof and one exterior wall.. all the best!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4371 posts
1402 upvotes
Paris
qman23 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:02 pm
I just had a guy quote me for some basement windows. He said basement windows often don't qualify for two reasons.
1. Windows need to be a minimum of 12sq feet.
2. Space must be finished.

He didn't know anything about limitations on concrete encased window frames.

There are obviously interpretation/communication problems between the contractors and greenon
This was Peak installations, through HD.
22k for 10 windows. -25% -5k rebate comes to 11k.
Seemed high to me.
Manufacturers dont have all the details, no way Peak has them as an installer. Window program is currently withdrawn from market, expect re-issue on Monday.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7220 posts
5463 upvotes
Oakville
wakka2u wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:22 pm
does a built in garage also mean attached to the house? curious about the cost for roof and one exterior wall.. all the best!
Another way to say it would be that the garage is not covered at all. Only conditioned air spaces are covered. So that would include any wall/floor of your house that touches the garage (as well as any that other exterior wall).
Dec 9, 2003
191 posts
50 upvotes
Have been getting wide ranges of measurements so I did a measurement myself and the result was 900sqft so results bellow are based on what they thought it was.

What I got so far

Reitzel (phone quote based on 1000sqft) - R50 - $1.25sqft. No mention of baffles or need for any additions (could be something they try to sell you on while at the job site). Would not give install date

Brand Insulation (phone quote based on google image measurements 1100sqft) - R50 - $1.1sqft - baffled at $5 each installed and pot light covering at $5 installed each + $50 Admin fee
Brand Insulation (phone quote based on google image measurements 1100sqft) - R60 - $1.2sqft - baffled at $5 each installed and pot light covering at $5 installed each + $50 Admin fee
One thing about Brand is that they mentioned that everything needs to be done by end of march and that they are almost all booked up (gae a date of march 22nd as the first available). Kept placing me on hold to answer calls every 5 min. Not sure if this was a tactic to make it seem like they are insanely busy or actually are.

Exotherm (phone quote based on 1000sqft) - R50/R60 - $1.2 - do not install baffles - The guy was terrible to deal with over the phone like he was doing me a fav in answering and I was bothering him.
Install date as soon as next week.

Constant Home Comfort (on site assessment) - laser measured 750sqft (its wrong) - R50 - $1000 plus $10 per baffle installed
Constant Home Comfort (on site assessment) - laser measured 750sqft (its wrong) - R60 - $1100 plus $10 per baffle installed
Constant Home Comfort (Asked for re quote based on 1000sqft) - R50 - $1150 plus $10 per baffle installed
Constant Home Comfort (Asked for re quote based on 1000sqft) - R60 - $1250 plus $10 per baffle installed
Install date available as soon as next week.
One thing I will say about this company is that they volunteered a year warranty on settlement. So if it goes under the value you paid for, they will come back and add on. So you don't have to worry about them increasing the air in the hose in theory.

George Kent gave a "ballpark for fun" estimate over the phone and it was between $1.4 to $1.5 per sq ft

Northern will be coming by in a couple weeks to do an estimate. They did mention that you can only submit once per household per category. So for example if you do the attic, and submit for the rebate, you can't go back and do wall insulation and submit.
Last edited by janko023 on Jan 12th, 2018 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Oct 24, 2016
405 posts
271 upvotes
ON
I had my attic insulation topped earlier this fall through Dominion. It cost me $1.02/sq ft. The top up was from 6.5-7" to 18". Everything went smoothly and I didn't have any issues with them. They automatically applied the 10% discount. Jack up the price by 10% and then give a discount of 10%. Customer is happy!
frankbug wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:21 pm
Dominion guy quoted me $1.2/sqft for going from R22 (8'') to R50 (18''). So it seems they have indeed jacked up the price.

For those who have already worked with them, how was the experience with this company? There are not a lot of recent reviews on their HomeStar page. If the reviews are generally positive, I might just bite the bullet, but in this case....

Also has anyone used the 10% coupon from their homepage?

http://dominioninsulation.ca/uploads/3/ ... oupon1.jpg
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.