Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Green Ontario Fund

ON - new Gov't rebates for insulation heat pumps, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 2:52 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7007 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
alanbrenton wrote: You are so defensive and pathetic lol.
No wonder your post count is 41,000. We aren't in kindergarten anymore.
What is the COP at -15 and below?
Bigger than 1.0, and that's all that mattered to me.
At 10°C, the coefficient of performance (COP) of air-source heat pumps is typically about 3.3. This means that 3.3 kilowatt hours (kWh) of heat are transferred for every kWh of electricity supplied to the heat pump. At –8.3°C, the COP is typically 2.3.
Yes, which is exactly what I looked at when I made my decision, as 2.3 is better than 1.0. Well done sir. Bravo!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
Too bad no rebate for replacing my roof. Had it done this summer including tile and wood replacement. Very costly but worth every penny. Had the windows replaced with triple glazed thermopane a couple years back. Very comfy in my downstairs during the winter and much cooler in the summer. Could probably use more insulation but money is tight right now...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
notsureofitiall wrote: I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. You are referring to a different program. This is GreenON, it has nothing to do with the Enbridge/Union Gas program.
It's linked directly on the GreenOn site even though it's not run by them.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Apr 19, 2012
278 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
tom_no.1 wrote: I would appreciate it if you would share the results of any estimate change when you do so. I also think that many others would as well. BTW, what area are you located in? Thanks in advance!

Tom
Will do, I'm located in Milton and the estimate is from Great North Insulation.
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: When does it make sense to get the ground heat pump?

The air heat pump is next to useless in the winter for heating.
In my opinion ground source heat pump has a ROI of never, unless you have the means to installed the piping yourself.

Your second statement likely is not true anymore, unless you live somewhere where temps dip below -15 deg C consistently. Older heat pumps used to be relegated to BC weather, but not anymore. Mini splits from Fujitsu and Mitsubishi will produce heat with a COP above 1 to -25C.

The problem is somehow manufacturers think a heat pimp is worth 2X as much as an ac unit, so ROI may still not be good, especially if natural gas prices stay the way they are.
Apr 15, 2009
318 posts
325 upvotes
toronto
Nobody is talking about probably best deal in here ..2% interest home improvement loan up to 75k, ( I assume it can be combined with discounts discussed here)

So for these 20k windows exchanges, get 5k rebate, install windows, and get a 2% loan to pay it off. Then use the money you wanted to spend on windows and invest in 3% savings, or something safe like that and be paid for having improved your house!

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... gram-help/
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
Ok. So I just called up an approved contractor in my locality and they will receptionist said someone will get back to me later today or tomorrow to book an appointment for quote. She did mention about the rebate program even before I could, lol, and said they are a bit overwhelmed with many people contacting them. The current quote that I have is already a little under 1$/sqft. So it will be interesting to see what these guys come up with. Essentially, I should end up getting a 100% free attic insulation.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
mstefa wrote: Nobody is talking about probably best deal in here ..2% interest home improvement loan up to 75k, ( I assume it can be combined with discounts discussed here)

So for these 20k windows exchanges, get 5k rebate, install windows, and get a 2% loan to pay it off. Then use the money you wanted to spend on windows and invest in 3% savings, or something safe like that and be paid for having improved your house!

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... gram-help/
Probably covers just the city of Toronto.
Dec 1, 2003
608 posts
250 upvotes
Ottawa
I am not seeing any approved contractors for Ottawa locations for windows and insulation.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
2133 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
Sweet, I was looking into getting a new thermostat for my condo but there were no rebates available until now.

Going to look into one that'll work with Alexa.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5156 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
Don't most houses already have insulation?? Is the modern insulating material superior to the older stuff?

Changing the windows is probably a good idea though.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
blaznazn22 wrote: Don't most houses already have insulation?? Is the modern insulating material superior to the older stuff?

Changing the windows is probably a good idea though.
Yes, but the insulation sags over time, so it needs to be topped up, or replaced. Also the code standards change over time.
Dec 13, 2017
26 posts
7 upvotes
I just called the Green Ontario number. They said I can file for a rebate under both as they are unrelated programs.

Has anyone seen IN WRITING that you can't?
Aug 30, 2012
999 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if we're still eligible if we already have a a thermostat from the save on energy program.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10483 posts
7615 upvotes
ON
MANGLER wrote: In my opinion ground source heat pump has a ROI of never, unless you have the means to installed the piping yourself.

Your second statement likely is not true anymore, unless you live somewhere where temps dip below -15 deg C consistently. Older heat pumps used to be relegated to BC weather, but not anymore. Mini splits from Fujitsu and Mitsubishi will produce heat with a COP above 1 to -25C.

The problem is somehow manufacturers think a heat pimp is worth 2X as much as an ac unit, so ROI may still not be good, especially if natural gas prices stay the way they are.
Pimpin' ain't easy...but dey be stacking papers son.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2690 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
crow wrote: I am not seeing any approved contractors for Ottawa locations for windows and insulation.
Verdun windows in ottawa has the window rebate right on their website so I have them coming to quote. They are a big company so I assume they are in the process to become a participating contractor as the $500 per window is a huge selling point
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1983 posts
389 upvotes
Aurora
PriceHunter wrote: My current house is around 13 years old, and the windows look like they are double layered, inner frame is plastic, only the window housing is wood. Some of them however start to have some sweating in between the glass layers.
Don't replace the whole window, have a contractor (or yourself) replace just the double layered glass.
Google SGU; Sealed Glass Unit (or ISU; Insulated Glass Unit).
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
te1648 wrote: The rebates for insulation are:
• Receive $1/ft2 up to $1,500 for upgrading your attic insulation.
• Receive $2/ft2 up to $1,900 when you update your basement insulation.
• Receive $2/ft2 up to $3,800 when you upgrade your home’s exterior wall insulation

Air sealing
Get $100 for air sealing your home*
To give you an idea, I had insulation upgraded from R26 to R50 in my attic last year for $1100. My 2 story house is 3000 sq ft, so the attic space is roughly 1500 sq ft. The guys added about 8" to 10" of cellulose insulation in my roof.

So quick math, 8/12 * 1500 *$1/ft = $1,000 which would pretty much have covered my entire cost of insulating my roof.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
wildzero wrote: Anyone able to share pricing on the cost to insulate attic? Trying to gauge how good of a deal $1/sqft off is.
See my post #119
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Tax dollar shell game ... this isn't free money, just money that they have taken out of our pockets and "pretending" to be generously giving money away ...
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)